BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Cactus
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: Cactus
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ellwood (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 7:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey; my wife works in a greenhouse that raises exotic cactus you know the house plant type and she is wondering is they are restricted from being brought into Bonaire. She wants to give them away. Some are pretty neat for cactus......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason thomas (BonaireTalker - Post #49) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If they are native to bonaire it seems ok. But as a general rule no way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2388) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 5:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would imagine it would be way too risky with exposure to disease, insects and the like. Carole

PS I wish I were nearby your wife as I would love to have some given to me! LOL. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (BonaireTalker - Post #96) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 10:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave~

Being a farmer from Illinois I can truthfully say you may not have a problem getting the plants on the plane but the USDA will gladly relieve you of them when they enter the USA at Customs. :>)

jimini

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ellwood (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 8:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes I know that we can not bring plants into the US. Although these plants are shipped nation wide. The wife was wanting to give them away in Bonaire but allas we have given up on the idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cindylou (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #220) on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 11:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave, you will find the island has an extensive cactus population especially north and east. I'm sure you'll see some interesting specimens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ellwood (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 1:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes I know about Bonaire and the catus,this will be our third trip and being from Arizona you might say that "catus are us ". It's just that the ones from my wife's place of work are very unique, from all over the world and she thought that they might make nice gifts. Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christin Helander (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 9:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave, no harm in taking a couple of the cacti to Bonaire, if it is a no-no they will be confiscated and dealt with properly. I think all you can do is try and then accept what happens.....unless you can find specific regulations against taking live plants into the country, that is....
Charming of your wife to think in advance of gifts to give away, and a unique one to boot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1419) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 1:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wouldn't this be an 'alien species' introduction?? Like killer bees, tent caterpillars, zebra mussels, walking catfish and kudzu in the US? It only took a few of each of those to spawn a plague.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration