BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Can someone clear something up for me?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: Can someone clear something up for me?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Wood (BonaireTalker - Post #91) on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 9:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hey gang, I've been hearing/reading things concerning locking your luggage, taking a cooler full of food, and other assorted issues under the new airline safety guidelines. I'm flying AJ to Bonaire in July, so I decided to just get the info from the horse's mouth. According to their website, and contrary to most of what I've read, the first item in their list of baggage tips says "...ensure that your bags are locked...."
I was under the impression that locking luggage was an issue because of inspections.
Can anyone who's flown AJ recently confirm this first hand?

Thanks.

Website = http://www.airjamaica.com/ticketing.asp#baggage%20info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Phelps (BonaireTalker - Post #97) on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 9:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check the Transportation Safety Administration website http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/display?theme=53
for their requirements. In US airports, aren't they the ones with the final say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6431) on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 10:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I notice that they say flights in the U.S. I imagine that going back, you could lock it as Air Jamaica is not a U.S. carrier...brings up an interesting question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1399) on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 10:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Use plastic tie wraps. If you're luggage is locked, and they decide it needs to be searched when you are not around, they will cut off the lock. With the ties they cut them off and replace them with a new one. They also slip in a paper telling you that your luggage was searched.

When you are leaving Bonaire, don't attach your tie wraps until after the luggage inspection at checkin. All checked bags are hand searched in Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #731) on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 10:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We flew AJ in March and my husband's luggage was opened for inspection during transit with a note slipped saying as such. We have Samsonite hard cover suitcases with a snap type closure lever and they could easily pop open in my opinion when getting banged around. They also have the combination lock to prevent that from happening as well as a universal key to lock the levers.
They pried my husbands open by the combination setting but it did not ruin the suit case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renea (BonaireTalker - Post #50) on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 11:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm making the assumption that their website has not been updated lately and reflects old information regarding this. I plan to call early next week to confirm our flight. I'm going to check with them then to be sure. I'll post what I find out if anyone is interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1409) on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 11:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda,

Do I understand that that the hand search on leaving Bonaire is done before the bag is taken at the ticket counter and put on the conveyor, so that passengers have the chance to attach ties?? Or has the counter scheme changed since last July?? Are already-attached ties replaced by the checker??

Has anyone used a strap around checked hardsided bags (to prevent the bag from opening if it is handled roughly and for id) since the openings began??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #369) on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Darlene,
We have the same kind of luggage; I put a piece of Duct tape over the closure levers to keep them from 'popping' open- since there is no place to put tie-wraps. I also put an extra piece of tap next to the latches in case they need to remove (and destroy) the piece on the latch. Has worked so far.
P.S. Thank for the three photos-especially liked the one of the 'scenery' at the rail of the Harbor Village deck, it's much better than the one I captured from my short video clip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #732) on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 2:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the great tip!!! Durrrrrrr, why didn't I think of that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #762) on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 10:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've found duck tape has come in handy for alot of things in a pinch.I had used it to wrap around my hard case luggage, but I'm going to get straps this time. Our dive equipement is heavy (it's old)and the weight being thrown around ,I'm afraid might pop it. I've heard the straps work well for the hard cover suitcases and they replace them if they open it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #734) on Thursday, May 8, 2003 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've used duct tape on my hard suitcase too. The year I used a strap around the thing, it was gone when I picked up the suitcase off the carousel back in the US, (several years ago.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #764) on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 8:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well I'm going with my old addage "it's the luck of the draw" and keep my fingers crossed.At this point all I really need to have with me is my plane tickets, passport and credit cards :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #765) on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 8:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh! of course my C card too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #737) on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree, Lorraine. Looking forward to seeing you! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1412) on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have used a strap several times without it going missing, though not under the present security system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2368) on Friday, May 9, 2003 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Nik and Lorraine! (and everyone else, too, of course!) See you guys at the airport in Montego Bay on the 24th. I picked up the plastic zip locks for our luggage. We have the zipper bags so it will work for us. I am going to use cloth straps around them, as well. We'll see how that works out.

14 days and counting, per Joe! Yea! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #772) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 9:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Niki, I have some pictures of your B cake from the BT party last time, I'll bring them. Maybe we'll see you on the plane.See you on Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #741) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 1:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Lorraine :-)
We leave home Friday afternoon for a red-eye that night during which I hardly ever sleep, and so by Saturday's AJ flights, we are pretty burned out. So, think nothing of my probable groggy or robotic behavior when next you see me! (You too, Carole...) A day of sleep and relaxation and I'll be myself again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #563) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I always put my strap on right through the handle of my suitcase, it has not been off it for over ten years. I'm very proud of my strap because I bought it all on my own, going store to store speaking and understanding italian in the railroad station in Rome until I found one that had a "belt for the luggage". Then the suitcase and strap took a trip by themselves for a year, but that's another Bonaire story.

We used split rings on the soft luggage, mine came through intact, but Marys was gone. When we checked in at Flamingo they went through our luggage with us right there and I went ahead and closed it myself and restored the split ring. Stay around and make sure the right tags go on your luggage before wandering away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2399) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Seb..proud of you, too. Not easy roaming (no pun intended) from store to store alone in Roma!

We had previously purchased the little zip ties ("wire" cables) for our zipper luggage at a hardware store. But, yesterday while we were at AAA picking up travelers checks, just for the heck of it I asked them if they carried the zip ties...."no, but our LOCKS are half price"...I'll bet they are!! LOL. One would think they would have had the zip ties, but then again it is "AAA"...Automobile Club of America....not many high security systems checking bags on the highways....yet. LOL.

Niki....I, too, will be "out of sorts" by the time we land in MB....my body just can't handle it any more. Getting up at 2:30 a.m., leaving the house at 4:15 for the 7:15 a.m. flight.....just can't cope and by the time we reach MB I am ready to melt and die or just crash for a day or so. You have an even further journey...bless you guys! We will all be back to "normal"...actually BETTER than "normal" within 24-48 hours on Bonaire, for sure. See you all soon! Carole and Joe

PS We are 95% packed now. Did it all yesterday. Have the carry-on left and we are done. Feels good to have it done. It's been cold enuff here in NJ that we don't have to worry about washing out our shorts and stuff at the last minute for Bonaire....chilly enuff here for long pants and such. Fine by me....I like to travel to Bonaire for my heat and intense sun..don't like it here in NJ to deal with all summer long. Sorry about that, "Jersey shore" folks who read this board..... Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (BonaireTalker - Post #98) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 12:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole~

Do you spend much time at the beaches in NJ? How many miles are you from the coast? Just wondering...

jimini

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2400) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 1:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Jim...no, don't spend any real time at the Jersey Shore any longer...too many people, it costs money to get on the beaches, the traffic is horrendous, etc, etc. If and when I do go (now) it is during the off season, only. I have no patience any longer for the ride and time to get there. Oh....toll roads bother me, too.

However...."in my heyday" I used to frequent Belmar, Manasquan, Point Pleasant Beach, Bradley Beach, Asbury Park (Yes, the Stone Pony before it became "big"), Brielle, Seaside, LBI, and other "hot spots" for surf, sand and partying non-stop! But, alas, those days are "gone", too. We do have the memories, however! LOL. Now I prefer to swim in the Caribbean waters of Bonaire....very spoiled at this stage of my life! Where are your haunts?? Carole

Oh, I am now about 75 miles from the desired shore points. Closer to the coast than that, but the spots we would want to hit are a little further down the Garden State Parkway. I actually love Cape May County, too. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2402) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 1:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Jim...no, don't spend any real time at the Jersey Shore any longer...too many people, it costs money to get on the beaches, the traffic is horrendous, etc, etc. If and when I do go (now) it is during the off season, only. I have no patience any longer for the ride and time to get there. Oh....toll roads bother me, too.

However...."in my heyday" I used to frequent Belmar, Manasquan, Point Pleasant Beach, Bradley Beach, Asbury Park (Yes, the Stone Pony before it became "big"), Brielle, Seaside, LBI, and other "hot spots" for surf, sand and partying non-stop! But, alas, those days are "gone", too. We do have the memories, however! LOL. Now I prefer to swim in the Caribbean waters of Bonaire....very spoiled at this stage of my life! Where are your haunts?? Carole

Oh, I am now about 75 miles from the desired shore points. Closer to the coast than that, but the spots we would want to hit are a little further down the Garden State Parkway. I actually love Cape May County, too. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2403) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 1:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As you can see, I tended to hit the Jersey Shore and Lauderdale for the warm water and partying and Hunter Mountain (Tannersville) for the winter activities! Now it's just warm waters on my mind....Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Phelps (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #111) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, Carole
If you miss going downa shore, but don't miss the drive, try
Belmar
http://www.belmar.com/webcam/easternlines.html
or Point Pleasant Beach
http://www.exit98.com/njsurf.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4287) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 2:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Um, folks...

New Jersey & Security ties on luggage traveling via Air Jamaica - not particularly related and I'm too busy to move the above 4 messages to Community Chat, so please back onto topic.

Jake

PS Holly - regards to Joel!

PPS Now, is that PS off-topic too... too busy to think about it :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2412) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 5:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

:-)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration