BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: What to check and what to carry on
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-10-28 to 2003-04-30: What to check and what to carry on
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Murray (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 6:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know if there have been any problems with theft from checked baggage on AJ. Do most people carry on the regs or other expensive items such as computers and dive lights? I have in the past carried these on but it always makes for such a heavy bag and possible security issues. Does anyone know what happens if something is stolen? How much value, if any, does AJ cover for stolen items or permanently lost luggage? - Thanks. -Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1085) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I never locked a bag and have never had theft on AA or JM..

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2475) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 7:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve the best advice I've seen on this subject is to carry on anything you can not live without. I'm a believer in checking most of the dive gear knowing I can rent on the other end if I have to. Dive lights are also in this category. I only carry on my camera/memory sticks and dive computer everything else is checked. Having said all that, if you have very expensive regulators or HID lights or prescription masks maybe carry on is the answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Barber (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 8:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I always carry on my reg, comp, & photo stuff. Itsa bit of a hassle but we're talking thousands of NAf$ here! If you do check this stuff I'd make sure you have the appropriate insurance coverage. I know AJ pays missing luggage claims by the pound (don't know bout others) and my stuff is a bit more pricey than my swimtrunks! (but then again we go to Sorobon--so can't really say that) Have been checked about 30% of the time for the mysterious looking X-rays of the regulator! Just keep it all easily accessible and you'll be fine. Oh, and no dive knives in your carry ons :-) Have fun Steve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renea (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 9:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always carry on our regulators, dive computers, and camera equipment. Pretty much what Cecil said.

We'll be traveling in a few weeks to Bonaire on AJ and this will be the first time without being able to lock the luggage and honestly, I am a little nervous about that. I am planning on using tie wraps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #748) on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 5:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have a few questions about our luggage this time too.In the past I have always put my regulators my carry-on, will this "freak" the peopel at the airport out now, with all the hoses and things? Also, in the past I have packed my suitcases with things my friends have asked to to bring down with me.Things they cann't get on Bonaire and presents. I am wondering if it will be gone thru and questioned. What about bringing my cooler with frozen food? I usually duck tape my suitcases shut as not to loses anything and to keep the cooler closed tight. I understand I cann't do that anymore. What about using a strap? Will the people at the airport put it back on after they go thru your things? Thinking about trying to travel much lighter, but Jim really wants to bring the cooler with the NY steaks. In the past none of this was a concern. Any thoughts on these questions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2342) on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 8:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine, Michael and Joe swear by the steaks Michael has been picking up for us the past two trips or so. Maybe you can check with Michael as to the three of the guys going in together for a slab of beef or something along those lines. There are some new places that carry excellent meats and other choices now...not just Cultimara any more. Just a thought.....counting the days!! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 9:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

we have put our regs and my wifes mask (prescription lenses) in our carryon...and enough clothes and bathing suits to last for a day or two. never had a problem tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #750) on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 12:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have told Jim of your offer Carol. Masha Danke. Has anyone brought down a cooler with food stuff lately? I know things are available, but you cann't beat having to just throw things in the micro or stove from home, Jim is not an adventurous gormet. Also it's nice to have things to share from NY that you cann't get anywhere else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (BonaireTalker - Post #85) on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 6:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve~

I carry all my regulars; my logbook; A good book to read; small camera; swimtrunks; computer& bottom timer; underwear,of course; shorts & t-shirt; personal items to get me by for two days; and my full face mask along with common sense and my humor! And I make a point to leave all my "unwanted baggage at home" and enjoy the vacation... :>) I ALWAYS get stopped and searched because of my reglutors and hoses and computer but that's a small price to pay to have all my stuff with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #752) on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 7:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I always overpack and in the past had to liteally "sit" on my suitcases to close them:-)Makes me feel at home, usually don't wear half the stuff I bring.
I like to bring things with me for my friends or things peopel have asked for that are hard to get on Bonaire. This is the first time we have been back to Bonaire ( after 14 staight years of going) in 2 yrs. Besides being a little nevous about flying now, I am concerned if all of the things I pack will make it with me. I would rather leave it at home other then see it taken a an airport check. The cooler food is what I am most concerned about.I duct taped it closed to keep things frozen,usually kept things frozen 24 hrs that way. Masha danke for your replies, but I'm still wondering if anyone has brought a hard cooler with food with them in the last 2yrs and how to go about bringing one with us on AJ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Murray (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 8:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all. I guess I was just getting lazy---I'll take everyones advice and bring the regs, computers and HID lights in the carry on along with a days clothes and the usual books and stuff.

Carole- Can you let me know what other markets there are to buy groceries from and their location.
Thanks,
Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Goff (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 11:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine, Have you spoken to the airlines about bringing a cooler closed with duct tape? Checked baggage or not, everything is to be left open for possible hand inspection and if something looks suspicious it's going to be hand examined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #753) on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 11:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's what I hear, Dan. Darn! In the past I had absoultly no problems on KLM( Yes, I was one of the few) I will have to check AJ on that,haven't flown with them yet.Only hear good things. I haven't flown there since 9/11 and was afraid we would have to make other arrangements for the frozen things. I do have a cooler at the villa, so that's fine, but it looks like Jim will have to get used to my getting meat at the market. I am a good cook so I'm sure it'll be fine. Besides it gives me an excuse to dine out more freqently;)Hate to leave the villa once we're there.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration