BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: New Orleans (AA) - Miami (DCA) Bonaire??
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-10-28 to 2003-04-30: New Orleans (AA) - Miami (DCA) Bonaire??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward Mizell (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 3:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hopefully we will go to Bonaire in late July. We are considering flying out of New Orleans on American Airlines to Miami, then Dutch Caribbean direct to Bonaire. I have read numerous posts of lost luggage on DCA. Is this a problem only between Curacao and Bonaire, or should I be concerned about the flight from Miami to Bonaire?

Our other choice would be to drive to Atlanta and take Air Jamaica to Bonaire. New Orleans is about a 3 hour drive and Atlanta is about a 6 hour drive, so we would rather leave from New Orleans.

Edward

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #191) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Edward,

Well most of the flights to the island seem to be a crap shoot. Myself and 5 others are flying on DCA out of Miami on July 19, come join us. I have heard all the horror stories, got good one on ALM myself but I will have to say, we took the same flight last June and out of 4 trips to Bonaire, it was the best one we have had. All luggage arrived on time and both DCA flights were no more than 30 min late. The excuse was having to fly around bad weather and I saw T-storms in flight so it seemed to be a valid excuse. Pay your money and take your chances I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (BonaireTalker - Post #72) on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 3:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Edward -

Is there an option to fly from NO to San Juan?

We've been real pleased with the reliabilty and service of American Eagle on the San Juan-Bonaire route. The schedule is not the most convenient, but we'll make that trade for decent service.

If fact, you might even consider the DFW-SJU-BON routing. It sounds as if DFW would be going way west for you, but sometimes strange routings result in better schedules and prices. (We once went from DFW to Minneapolis to Sacramento...saved $380 over DFW-Sacramento direct because we went through Northwest's hub.)

I'm glad you've read the postings on DCA so you are aware of the history. If you choose them, we hope your trip report is the exception that proves the rule.

Let us know how it all turns out.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward Mizell (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I checked Travelocity and Expedia for flights out of New Orleans to Bonaire. Travelocity said it couldn't be done. Expedia's prices were a good bit higher than that quoted by my dive shop, and the route through San Juan was more expensive, and arrived later than the route through Miami, (but maybe with more luggage?)

I may just drive to Atlanta and take Air Jamaica through Miami and Jamaica. From what I've read, Air Jamaica does a good job with luggage, and I would like to arrive mid afternoon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edward

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Randall (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 6:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Dive friens-WE are planning our first trip to Bonaire the last week in July. We are planning to celebrate our 25th Anniversary, my Daughters 18th birthday, her graduation as well as the ol man's 50th birthday! We are coming from PORTLAND OREGON and the AA routing is through Fort Worth TX then San Juan, to Bonaire, the only flight connections I could find was leaving 11:59pm PDX and not getting to Bonaire till 7:30pm on the 30th! that wasn't to bad but the return was leaving at 6:00am on the the 6th. we would loose another whole day on the island? so effectively having only 5 days to dive??? Any suggestions? routing different carriers? We got a quote for $681, (seemed not to bad?) Guess we should just buy a one way and STAY!

Thanks for the great site!

Tim "thawmeout"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Randall (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops! the weather must be getting to me? we still get six days diving, but wow the actual "flight time" is nearly 21 hours! and the lay-overs add up to another 12 hours in lay-overs?

Help!

Tim

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration