BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Boston to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-10-28 to 2003-04-30: Boston to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marianne Johnson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello..We are going to Bonaire April 19th for a week..it will be our first time there. We are flying Air Jamacia to Momtego Bay then on to Bonaire. My concern and question is about the sise of the plane for the MB to Bonaire leg of the trip. Can anyone tell me if it is a small plane?I am not a great flier in the best of times..and now of course i am more nervous than ever. I have never flown on a small plane and have never planned to but think I might be doing that this time!!!! Any info about the trip from Boston to Bomaire on AJ would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Marianne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rog & Karen Huff (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marianne...welcome!
Air Jamaica MB/Bonaire is a full size jet, I think it is a MD-80...have a great flight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2170) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 1:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have no fear, Marianne...they are "large" and real jets! I was concerned about the same thing years ago for our first trip and was very pleasantly surprised to see they were huge jet planes without turbo props...or little puddle jumpers. I won't get on those puppies! One bad experience on one of the puddle jumpers was enuff for me years ago. Air Jamaica's flights are friendly and seem to run the average of other large lines as far as schedules. You can relax....it will be just fine! I know you will fall in love with Bonaire, too...as the rest of us have and that you will be planning your return trip during your flight home. Where are you staying on Bonaire? You lucky dog...you are leaving very soon, too. We have to wait until May 24th for our return. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1036) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 7:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marianne, I am on the same flight. I LOVE Air Jamaica. I have flown this flight 4 times and it's great. Make sure you ask for Ting to drink. It's the Jamaican grapefruit soda. WONDERFUL.

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1037) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 7:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

and same dates, Marianne, BTW...see you at Logan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4080) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 8:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's an Airbus. Not sure what model.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #223) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 9:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

From the ones I've seen on the tarmac, it's an A320. There are 3 common sizes of the A32x airframe. The A320 looks well proportioned and was the first of the set. The A319 is a really nice reduced-size version, and the A321 is a slightly-ungainly-looking stretch model.

I've flown on all three models, and really like the A319. USAir uses all three sizes, varying them as needed for the expected bookings on routes. USAir also had laptop power jacks installed at every seat in the ones they bought, which certainly improves their standing in my book!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #571) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 10:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not to mention, that in the past few flights we've done Boston - Bonaire on Air Jamaica, although we've had to get off the plane (and take all our carry-on) in MB, it's been the same plane going on to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #148) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are happy to report that we had no problems flying from Boston on Air Jamaica and no problems on the return flight. Leaving Bonaire we checked our bags about 11 in the morning and were the only ones in line and returned in time to board the plane which actually left about 15 minutes early. The three hour layover in Jamaica gave us a chance to do a little shopping. We arrived home at about 2am March 20. The new departure lounge in Bonaire is a wonderful change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marianne Johnson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all for your answers to my question..we are staying at the Plaza Resort...I am really excited about being able to snorkel of the beaches in Bonaire...I just started snorkeling a few years ago.And I love it....I was thinking I might take a diving class when we are there. Thanks again for allying my fears about the plane. I have flown the Airbus before and i think the MD 80 years ago going into Jackson Hole Wyoming....that to me was small enough...Marianne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (BonaireTalker - Post #62) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 8:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marianne -

I think you will be pleased with the Plaza (we've stayed there three times in three years) and I know you're going to fall for Bonaire.

We had great snorkeling just last week at the Plaza, especially to the south (left) once you enter the ocean and within 50 yards or less of the shore.

In case you haven't picked it up by reading this newsgroup, you might want to invest in some booties or some such for protection against the rough entries found on most of Bonaire (not the Plaza, however). The only disappointment we had the first time we went was that because we didn't have booties we couldn't make the very tough walk into the ocean at most of the snorkeling spots.

We'll look forward to your trip report.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with with the need for foot protection that Charles Poteet stated. If you want to save money buy beach shoes at Walmat, Kmart, Target, etc for anywhere from 4 to 10 dollars. They have a hard sole and work great. Dive stores also sell them but charge a bit more.
Lance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marianne Johnson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 6:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for advice about booties....what do you do with them after you get in water and need to put on fins? Do you throw them up on the beach?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (BonaireTalker - Post #63) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 8:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marianne -

I'll let those who use beach shoes, which I agree could be a viable option, answer about how to handle them.

For booties, you put them on before you snorkel and pull you fins on over them. Booties work best with the type of fins that have an open back and strap.

Whether your fins have an open back with strap or not, do take your fins with you if you buy booties and make sure everything fits.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob neer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #894) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

back to getting too bonaire;)

can someone tell me about connecting thru new york, the bit about flying into LGA and then out of JFK, is it a hassle? i have plenty of time...

just curious,

thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob neer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #895) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 2:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

so i called AA...sounds like you have to claim bags at LGA, find the shuttle, and re-check bags at JFK...

yep, that qualifies as a hassle :-(

hopefully, it's a VERY short distance from bag claim to shuttle and from shuttle to re-check - scuba/camera gear is very heavy :-(

geez...what we go thru to get wet;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny Stokes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #487) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yup, I'd say that's right up there on the hassle scale. Sometimes we have to overnight in Miami, and you have to claim baggage & start over the whole process over again the next day...at least there is no shuttle involved as we stay at the airport in the main terminal at MIA. But it's still a hassle! Good luck - hope all goes smoothly.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration