BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Luggage ties- Air Jamaica
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-10-28 to 2003-04-30: Luggage ties- Air Jamaica
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ramsey (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Using AJ late March and am a little concerned that you can't put locks on your checked bags.
Has anyone used nylon ties of late and when do you put them on?

Also, how late is Cultimari open on Wednesdays?
Can't wait!

Thanks!
Dave Ramsey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #406) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 5:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The airlines are suggesting that you use the nylon ties - affixing them at the start of your trip. That way if they do choose your bag to inspect no damage is done to the lock. They are not responsible for any damage to the cases should you lock it and they need to open it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #178) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 6:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave--- It doesn't matter if you put locks on the bags-- it doesn't stop them form opening them-- I saw this first hand -- we had plastic ties on and they took a pen and just punctured the zipper and was able to open the luggage-- then took the zipper moved over the opened parts-- and closed The only reason I ever put ties on was to try and prevent the bags from opening on their own -- or as a deterent---

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marion Korschilgen (BonaireTalker - Post #62) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 9:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave,
Cultimara is open till 7pm during the week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joanie (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 4:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

FLew AJ last month, they cut the tie wraps, and placed a note inside luggage, saying that TSA had opened bag, they did not put new tie wraps back on bag, as stated on TSA website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny Stokes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #454) on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 6:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ditto, Joanie, same experience on American. The TSA opened 3 out of 4 suitcases in Denver, put notes in all 3 but only re "locked" one of them. Out of Miami the next day, none of ours were opened again, and we had put new cable ties on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #120) on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 7:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi
Very often bags will have a little loop to run the lock or zip tie through. This won't prevent the bag from being opened, but at least you'll know someone legal or illegal was in there,because they won't be able to close it again. Mickey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #443) on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 8:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can't use zip ties because all of my luggage is hard-sided. I normally lock my suitcases, put duct tape over the catches, and straps around the suitcases. What am I supposed to do now to keep the baggage handlers out of my stuff? Does TSA put tape around the hardcases like the Aruba customs do/did?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #444) on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 8:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

P.S. I would rather go the the hassle of having my bags hand checked so I could lock them back up afterwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny Stokes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #457) on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linnea, all of our travel companions on this trip use hard-sided luggage, and none of theirs got selected for further examination (except at the Bonaire airport). I suppose it is the luck of the draw, or if something suspicious shows up on the x-ray.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joanie (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 4:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linnea,We also had a travel strap on the suitcase, which was replaced, though not properly, It may help.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration