BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Toronto to Bonaire in the summer????
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-10-28 to 2003-04-30: Toronto to Bonaire in the summer????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Black (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 4:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Help!!! We have a few weeks free this June and would really love to visit Bonaire (our favourite place in the world), but, as usual, we are having trouble finding a way to get there that involves a reasonable flight time and reliable carrier. We have had nightmare experiences in the past with multiple connection flights - especially when ALM is involved. Does anybody know of ANY direct flights out of a North American city to Bonaire in the summer? We don't mind driving to make a connection - that may be an alternative to coordinating a flight through Toronto. Ray and Sandra

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #767) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I come from Rochester, NY, and haven't found a real easy way to get to Bonaire, summer or winter. I came down from Rochester on Delta to Atlanta, then San Juan, then San Juan to BON on American Eagle.

After this experience, I'm pretty much decided I'll only come when I don't have to make connections between different airlines. When my husband returned to Rochester from BON last week, I found out when I reconfirmed two days in advance that American showed his reservation cancelled as, according to them, Delta hadn't given American the ticket numbers. After MANY hours on the phone, finally got American to rereserve him (on what they told me was a sold-out flight), but it was a nightmare going back and forth between Delta/American, and I don't want to do that again!!!

If you can get from Toronto to Chicago, American flies from their to SJ, then to BON on American Eagle. That would be my choice, I think. I've gone that way from ROC several times, and it's a very long day, but can be done in one day.

Good luck. Bonaire is certainly worth the effort of getting here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Lehman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Air Jamaica has some good flight times:
Departs Chicago on Air Jamaica at 6:15AM....Arrives Montego Bay 10:05AM
Departs Jamaica 11:30AM.....Arrives Bonaire 2:30PM
Departs Bonaire 3:10PM....Arrives Montego Bay 4:10PM
Departs Montego Bay 7:05PM.....Arrives Chicago - Ohare 11:05PM

The tickets right now are $661 for Saturday travel. You can usually get them on sale though. We've used AJ for four trips to Bonaire and love their service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jill Ganderton (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #115) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 6:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What about American to Miami and Curacao, and then take Divi Divi to Bonaire? (AA 343 and 1879 outbound, AA 1880 and 646 home) You leave Toronto at 6:40 am and arrive Curacao at 1:40pm. Not bad! The pleasant part of that one is that the flight on the return doesn't leave Curacao until 2:40ish in the afternoon, getting back to TO at 10:30pm! We're looking into this idea for Christmas this yr.
You could also check whether the Toronto-Bonaire charter (via Curacao I think) is still going too..I doubt it, but worth asking. Good luck, and let me know if you find a nice easy route!
Jill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Roddy (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 9:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about Boston-Bonaire via Air Jamaica? Works for us from way northern New York.

Marty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen Kimmett (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #749) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 9:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ray, I think Sunquest Vacations has Bonaire trips/packages now and they offer Toronto to Curacao then Curacao to Bonaire. I can not remember which two hotels they offer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl & Aubrey Ferguson (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 1:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Eileen, I believe that the Sunquest package is only available until the end of April. The hotels offered are the Divi Flamingo & Plaza Resort. Jill, American (out of Toronto) to Miami then on to Curacao sounds good ... any idea what the fare costs? Cheryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jill Ganderton (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #116) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 9:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cheryl, last time I looked it was about $1200CAD including taxes...I hope it will come down from that, fingers crossed. The charter is around $750 -$800 plus taxes. If anyone knows how to get American cheaper, I'm all ears!
Jill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Beckman (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 12:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I checked Travelocity just now and Delta's cost is $691 U.S. for a mid-June departure date. (I checked June 17, 19, and 24th departure dates.). It does involve 2 days of travel, so you'd also be out a hotel stay. Leave in the evening, arrive in Bonaire mid-afternoon the following day.

American Airline's cheapest flight ran $810 US on Travelocity. It leaves in the early morning and arrive in the evening in Bonaire.

Assuming a one week stay, here's an Delta itinerary:

Flight: Delta Air Lines flight 4469 operated by:
Atlantic Southeast on a Canadair Regional Jet - non-stop

Depart: Toronto, Canada (YYZ) - Tue, Jun 24 at 8:20pm
Arrive: Atlanta, GA (ATL) - Tue, Jun 24 at 10:39pm
Meals: No Meal Served

Flight: Delta Air Lines flight 8858 operated by:
Air Jamaica on a Airbus 321 Jet - non-stop
Depart: Atlanta, GA (ATL) - Wed, Jun 25 at 8:50am
Arrive: Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ) - Wed, Jun 25 at 10:35am
Meals: Breakfast

Flight: Delta Air Lines flight 8874 operated by:
Air Jamaica on a Airbus Industrie Jet - non-stop
Depart: Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ) - Wed, Jun 25 at 11:30am
Arrive: Bonaire, Netherlands (BON) - Wed, Jun 25 at 2:25pm
Meals: No Meal Served

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #407) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 5:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My sister is travelling to Bonaire in late April and are getting themselves from Toronto to Miami and then taking a direct flight to Bonaire which leaves Miami at 2pm and arrives Bonaire around 4 or 5pm. You should be able to get a cheap flight either direct from Toronto to Miami or drive to Buffalo and do direct via Southwest Airlines Buffalo to Miami.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward Thielman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #12) on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 11:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife just came back from Cur-Tor-Cur, with American and Divi to Bon. It was no problem and a good connection. You check-in both ways all the way to your destination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Vleeming (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #205) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 2:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It looked last year like there were going to be regular charters from TO to Bonaire. However, all of a sudden, they seem to have dissappeared. From non-Toronto Canadian cities its gotten even worse for charters. About half of the destinations got cut.

Darryl

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration