BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Birth Certificates in Lieu of Passports
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-10-28 to 2003-04-30: Birth Certificates in Lieu of Passports
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Galaspie on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 8:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just wanted to confirm what I've seen elsewhere, specifically that it is ok to enter Bonaire from the USA using certified copies of birth certificates instead of passports.. at almost 90 bucks each, I am looking at spending close to 500 bucks to buy passports that I would rather avoid if possible!

Anyone else done this, and if so, any problems?

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kay Powers on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Birth certificates with the raised seal on it will work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #201) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 4:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Paul,
Make sure the agent at your departing airport understands you are going to Netherlands Antilles, not the Netherlands...we got hassled our first trip when we used birth certificates because the agent couldn't figure out the difference (Netherlands requires passport apparently). We finally had to get a supervisor 2 levels up to clarify the issue to to first two people we talked to.

Have fun on Bonaire

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #3743) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 4:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And you need to provide picture ID from a governmental authority along with the birth certificates when going through immigration here and in the U.S. (although not for younger children - not sure what the age break on that is).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Jameson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 8:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Although it appears to be technically legal to enter the Netherlands Antilles with a birth certificate, about 2 years ago the airline gave me a major hassle because I didn't have a passport. They almost didn't allow me to board the plane and made me wait until they could reach someone at immigration in Curacao. Upon my return, the person at U.S. immigration also hassled me and told me I wouldn't be allowed to depart or return again without a passport. This was before September 11, 2001.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (BonaireTalker - Post #87) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 8:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

While having a birth certificate with raised seal and a government issued photo id is acceptable it has always seemed that the extra effort of getting a passport is worth it especially after reading some of the above posts. Keep in mind that a passport is good for ten years. I think it is five years for anyone under 18 but the cost is less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kay Powers (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #629) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 3:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seven trips to Bonaire in the last five years and I have never had any problems with using my birth certificate along with government id. Last trip was 2/02.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JoEllyn Jablonski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 8:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have traveled to the Carib. for many years, always using birth certificates and Id's. I did go and get passports for the trip to Bonaire this year,, we have been warned and advised by customs to get passports every trip since 911. We have always been able to complete the trips, but quite a hassle in last couple years. Passports are not required, but seem to really prefer people using them, and make it easier if do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Galaspie (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Sunday, February 2, 2003 - 3:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you to everyone who provided input on my questions. I believe I may get the passports for my wife and myself, and use the birth certificates for the 4 kids.

Paul

(Message edited by galaspie on February 2, 2003)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration