BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Any news on Bonairexel
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-10-28 to 2003-04-30: Any news on Bonairexel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Cabus on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 10:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all,

I was wondering whether there was any news on Bonairexel. They were supposed to start flying in December. We are currently planning a combined trip to Bonaire and Aruba. With Bonairexel flying we would have more options.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George and Laura on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 5:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yesterday a Federal Judge ordered the Antillean Government to grant BonairExel all necessary permits and licenses to begin operation. The permissions must be granted by 31 January or a NAƒ10.000 per day fine is imposed automatically. The announcement was made by the head of the Bonaire Government, Ramonsito Booi, last evening at the Plaza Resort.
BonairExel will be operated by KLM partner, Dutch airline AirExel using 2 50-passenger jets and 2 54-passenger turboprops. There will be daily jet service to Miami and jet and turboprop servie to other Dutch Caribbean islands and Venezuela. Look for more details in the next issue of the Bonaire Reporter but this "heads-up" is for BonaireTalk readers.
George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 4:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks a lot George, that's terrific news!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Eberhard on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know how we can get in touch with them yet? Any chance for direct flights to/from Miaimi?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 5:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, I haven't been able to find anything yet. No website (www.bonairexel.com exists, but it appears to be some travel agency), no information on the site of AirExel (the dutch KLM daughter)... The planes are reportedly ready to go, but when and how is still a mystery, at least to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 10:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeez, I go and have the flu for a week, and miss this great news. Disney World here I come (via BonairExel)! :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 5:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The flu? Again?? Hey, I thought living on Bon was much more healthy? :-P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is great news!!! .... this would open up more connections thru Aruba (which many US airline companies operate).

BTW, any news from RAA? The last I saw posted on this site is that they claim they are still planning to start. They tried the same game last year but failed miserably. Bonairexel should have more clout with the government due to the KLM connection

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 4:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg, I doubt that last bit. KLM is accused (mainly by Curacao) of using BonairExel to try and slowly strangle DCA to death. The other islands are not that eager to help BonairExel see the light of day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jevon on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 9:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey do not underestimate DCA, they are perfectly capable of strangling themselves to death without any help from third parties......
BonaireExel is great news for this island and with the incentive of a Nafl 10,000 fine for every day after 31/1/03 that the permit is not issued I am looking forward to some good connections next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 3:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marc...I wish they'd quit squabbling over these issues...I don't think Air Aruba and ALM went belly up due to lack of potential revenue...their costs exceeded their revenues....RAA never was in the game

Personally, I hope DCA and BonairExcel both become viable enterprises. This would deliver more access to Bonair via Cur and/or Aruba .

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration