BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Regulator in carry on?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-10-28 to 2003-04-30: Regulator in carry on?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Lou French on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 2:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, We are traveling to Bonaire in March and are wondering if anyone has had trouble with taking their dive gear in their carry on bags. When we have traveled to Bonaire before we have always carried on all our dive gear, that was pre 9/11. The only item that we thought might be a problem would be the octopus. Any advice would be much appreciated, Mary Lou

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 2:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary Lou,

On our past trip - two weeks ago - we carried out regulators onboard the plane. As they passed through the x-ray machine at O'Hare, they flagged for a hand search. The screeners were unable to tell what they were from the x-ray. Apparently, they showed up as a large black blob, probably due to the way we packed them.

It was really a non issue. They took about three minutes to check our bages, and we were off. At MoBay and at Bonaire, there were no problems.

I wold suspect you won't have any issues. Enjoy your trip....

-dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 3:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have made 3 dive trips since 9-11 (Bonaire 1x4 persons, Fla 2x 2 persons)and we all have carried our regs on board. I got stopped for the wand thing a time or 2 but all of our regs got though with out a question. They made me turn my PC on once but did not bother to turn the case over and look at the reg. On the same lines however, some airlines have started charging huge fees for you just having scuba gear in your luggage, Delta is $80 each way from what I hear. This is not an overweight charge but a charge for "special handling" although no one at the airlines can expain what the "special handling" is. My Pelican case now contains cloths and swimming equipment. I have not been hit with this charge yet but I have heard rumors of others that have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Lou French on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 3:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dave,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I am glad to hear that you had no trouble. I didn't like the thought of checking my dive gear. I hope your trip was great (like it couldn't be?!).
Mary Lou

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Lou French on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 3:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Herman,
Thanks for your response and the heads up on the "special handling" charge. We are flying American so I will check with them. Hopefully the only person handling my gear will be me :-)!
Mary Lou

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fiona Rattray on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 6:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave, I've made 2 dive trips since 9/11 that involved flying. I (and diving buddies) went through security with regs and dive computers in carry-on luggage 9 times when you count the stopovers to change planes.
(Toronto-Miami-Bonaire/Bonaire-Miami-Toronto) and (Toronto-Miami-Bonaire/Bonaire-Curacao-Miami-Toronto)
8 of the 9 times we were asked to open carry-ons and show them the regs, once I was asked to turn on the dive computer, twice had film containers swabbed (for traces of contraband or explosives?). One time the security person said "oh, I can see regulators on the x-ray, you must be a diver". But no problem in taking regs on board yet.
I'm happy to open any carry on with a smile, get wanded (3 times), have film inspected or have my shoes searched (once). I just leave extra transit time for lining up in airports, though this seems to have improved recently.
So far, no extra charges for dive gear on Air Canada.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just be sure to leave dive knives in checked bags. Regs are no problem (just brought ours in carry-on down to Grand Cayman last week). In northern climes, the security folks are often clue-free when they first see it on the Xray, but if you just smile like you're headed out to dive and say "scuba regulators!" with a lot of gusto, about the most they'll do is a search to verify, no issue beyond that. And once or twice you luck out and find a security guy who also dives, like we did in Boston on the way out. He looked jealous... :)

Faith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 10:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fiona,

I agree. I have no problem with searhces or inspections.

And I seem to be a target for being wanded. I actually instigated it once at O'hare. I don't recommend doing this.....

We were at O'Hare in line to board. A security dude was randomly selecting people to be wanded. I bet my wife that I could get him to select me. I pulled by baseball cap down low in front and everytime the security guy would look my way, I would immediately look the other direction. It was hilarious - everytime he would look at me, I would jerk my head the other direction. Man he walked right up to me asked me to step aside. He did everything except a cavity search (Oh Behave!). He checked my cap, my belt, my shoes, my socks.....
I tried not to laugh, but my wife says that I had an evil grin on my face the whole time.

But I have no problem opening any carry-on or being wanded. I know some folks will disgree with me, but personally I would like to see everyone wanded and searched, and all carry-on luggage searched. I am willing to pay the extra $10 a ticket for the security personel, and the extra time isn't really an issue with me...... just my $0.02 worth.

-dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 10:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fiona,

One last thing..... I didn't mean to imply that we had any problems. When I said "...they took three minutes to check our bags...." I meant for them to search them. I didn't mean to imply that they took the bags from us and put them in the luggage compartment.

We carried on everything we intended to. We had no problems. I don't believe Mary Lou will have any issues either.

Sorry for the confusion.

-dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny Stokes on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband gets wanded every time, as he has a knee which is not original equipment. It has become so routine for us - while he gets the once-over, I pick up the carryon stuff from the conveyor and find a spot to wait. We both would rather the effort be made for a secure flight. One time, tho, he was told he got selected for further scrutiny because he left his ball cap on walking thru the initial screening device. I got selected that time too, and have no idea why, but that's ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ginny Stokes on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband gets wanded every time, as he has a knee which is not original equipment. It has become so routine for us - while he gets the once-over, I pick up the carryon stuff from the conveyor and find a spot to wait. We both would rather the effort be made for a secure flight. One time, tho, he was told he got selected for further scrutiny because he left his ball cap on walking thru the initial screening device. I got selected that time too, and have no idea why, but that's ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Lou French on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 5:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone for your responses. Sounds like we will be ok :-)! I agree with you, Dave, I would be more than willing to pay a little extra and have the security tighter. Off to Bonaire we go only 72 days to lift off (not that I am counting)
Mary Lou

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

let's not confuse paying a little extra for tighter security for paying a little extra as a waste of money with no improved security...paying money doesn't guarantee the security...I just returned from Cozumel on Wednesday. In Charlotte, N.C. as a "security" measure, they routed all international travellers (once they got through customs and immigration)out of the secure area and back thru security checks. I am not sure where they thought we could get weapons midair from Mexico to CLT. In the single file line, our passports and boarding passes were checked by three separate people before we made it to the screening machine. This does not increase security. This does increase the cost. I fear the new government run TSA will be a typical government moneyhole. They did dismantle a baby stroller and managed to get it put back together with only a couple of parts left over

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 2:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Perhaps the rescreening in CLT is a comment on security at Mexico's airports.

On my last return from Cozumel, a few years ago, a bit of the 'green' direct to the gate agent got my excess baggage aboard at a very nice discount.

Hate to have that sort of 'security' passing people into the US air system!!! In that case, the extra check here is well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 2:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The rescreening at CLT (and many other US airports) is definitely because they don't trust that the security in the foreign airports is good enough. They're not worried about your finding weapons in midair, they're worried about your managing to get them past security at your start point...

Faith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Wirth on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 8:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Baggage and Content Restrictions have been modified by the U.S. Government airport security in the last few days. I called A.A. this a.m. and they told me that the weight allowance to Puerto Rico and beyond is only 50 lbs, 62 " for two checked bags, plus your carry one ones. BUT the NEW WRINKLE is that you can't carry any FOOD except what you buy in the airport to EAT ON THE PLANE. You can bring medicines and vitamins in the original bottles. We usually bring familiar snacks for the children and hard to find food gifts for friends on Bonaire. Does any one have any additional information? Is all food restricted or just not prepackaged items?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 9:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

regarding my CLT security posting...ALL international flights were required to go thru CLT security...I've made numerous international trips this year and no other airport pulled this....three different TSA agent check points checking id's in a single file line (after just passing customs and immigration). It won't be long before the 911 security tax will be $100 a ticket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not if it is done only at CLT. :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 2:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No pre-bought food!!! What about Jake's KK's??!!?? Michael's Folger's Red??!!?? Live lobster for my daughter and granddaughter??!!?? That has gone too far!!! They will all be grumpy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Lou French on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 9:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does this mean checked food or only carry on? When we went to Bonaire in 2000 we checked a box with a cooler of frozen food and a box with dry goods. Is this no longer allowed? I am hoping that is not the case, I am planning on bringing the same with me in March. Anyone with more information on this? Much appreciated! Mary Lou

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 12:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

And I'm hoping carry-on food is still allowed, as the food on the plane is often not anything we can eat (we're very strict vegetarian, and the airlines often mess up even when we ask for a veggie meal). If we have to go hours and hours without real food, they're definitely going to see a good example of air rage... :(

Faith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kay Powers on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 9:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh my goodness...the Turduckens are already suffering PBD. I hope they will be able to go through checked baggage. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 10:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just had KKs and clementines delivered a week ago, so it appears not to be a problem.

What I saw on TV tonight was that if you pack food in your checked bag it may be mistaken for explosives, which makes it more likely your checked bag will be searched after a scan. Food is not prohibited. And there was no mention of food in carry-ons.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 12:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

KAY...YOU BRINGING TURDUCKIN TO BONAIRE AGAIN ? OUTSTANDING ! LETS HOPE WE CAN ALL GET TOGETHER AGAIN AND HOPE WE CAN TALK BAS INTO MAKING SOME OF THAT WONDERFUL COCONUT FISH SOUP....UMMMMM..I GOTTA COME UP WITH SOMETHING BETTER THAN LAST YEARS RICE DISH...ANY IDEAS ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 12:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There was an advisory I heard today that said not to pack ANY electronics in checked baggage. The new, high power scanners can apparently do damage. Wonder if these are the ones that can turn rare earth magnets (such as those in small loudspeakers) radioactive? If these are indeed the neutron scanners, I hope they use a geiger counter after scanning bags...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 10:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Would I be tempting the Fates too much if I commented that we have been 'clean' of attacks here for 15 months without these new measures, so 'why now'???

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration