BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: I need my MTV (actually a Transformer)
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2002-03-27 to 2002-12-01: I need my MTV (actually a Transformer)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 8:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My resort doesn't rent transformer.

And other then at Bonair..why in the heck would I want a 127 to 110 transformer.

Anybody know if I can rent-buy or lease one on island.

Or convince Jake to go into the transformer leasing business.

Here is the plan
a. I buy transformer
2. When I leave I give it to Jake.
3. Jake leases it out and keeps all the money.
b. When I come back Jake loans me a transformer for my stay.
4. Requirements for the transfomer swing club is to buy a new transformer every 6th visit thereby refreshing your membership...sort of an ante-up thing.

Interested Jake? If not anybody got a suggestion on where to buy one?

Don't say Radio shack...the local in the woods little store wanted to star with a solder iron...I would rather not have to build it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 2:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Transformers! Loved that show, with Megatron, Optimus Prime, and all the other Decepticons and Autobots... But why would you need those on Bonaire? Oh wait, you're talking about electricity things... :)
Hmm, gonna need a few of those myself when we get there... I've got all these great appliances that I would hate to leave behind. And how nescessary is it? Take computers and monitors for instance... would I need a transformer for that? My monitor says "100/240V, 50/60hz", so I guess it will adapt, but is that safe? Locals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 10:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nice thought Wally, but I work hard to stay out of computer sales & service, and I see electrical transformer sales & service to be too related :-)

You can buy them at Kooymans (our local "big" hardware store; at Playa Trading (another hardware store); and also get voltage regulators (not as good at dropping the voltage) at Benzers).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Darn Jake...sounded like a terrific plan on my side of the fence.

Marc..I think that means your computer will run in the USA (110V-60Htz) and in Europe (240V-50Htz)...Neither of which is Bonaire juice (127V ?Htz)

So simple motors and resistence coils like curling irons and hair dryers will run fine...just a little hotter and a little faster. Thats about a 15% voltage increase which is OK..and is easier on simple motors than a 15% voltage drop.

Your USA line voltage in your house will wobble between 107 to 115.

Having said all that..any electronically controlled appliance or motor (cell & camara battery charger, computer, laptop etc.) is not going to like that much line voltage and will probably demonstate it's disdain by frying it's little circuit controllers.

I arrive 12-Dec and leave 02-Jan...what time do you come and go Marc?
If arrivals and departures jive we could go halfs.
Probably should leave some beer on Jakes steps for creating the trading venue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 6:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We plan on coming somewhere in January and not going at all :) So mine would be for permanent use...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 9:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wally,

Another good reason to plan to come back to Bonaire, to amortize the transformer!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration