BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Confused about Taxes
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Confused about Taxes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jes S. (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 1:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey everyone. My partner and I and our 4 month old girl are planning our first trip to Bonaire. We're there April 4th to May 4th 2011. Woohoo Never been anywhere tropical for a month.
I'm excited to do alot of diving (PADI Instructor) but I'll save those questions for another thread.
I've read through pages and pages of info on this site and others and cant seem to locate a positive answer about taxes.
We're staying at the Carribean Court (Private Condo I believe) and the owner has quotes us a flat rate for the month.
My questions are.

1. Would this 'flat' rate quoted include the Hotel tax? This $5.50 - $6.50/person/day charge?
2. Does this apply to a certain age? I mean is our 5 month old girl charged this as well?
3. Is this paid at the hotel or at the airport? I've read conflicting responses.
4. On the official infobonaire.com website, I came across a PDF file outlining how the taxes are collected now as a 'Simple' tax that includes Departure, Car rental and Hotel all into one
The URL for the PDF is http://www.infobonaire.com/pdf/tax_us_.pdf but it appears it was from before 2006 so not sure if it still holds true.
5. If the 'Simple' 1 tax is no longer applicable,
what would be my departing taxes for the 3 of us for the month with a car rental possibly for a 2 of the 4 weeks?

Also we're coming from Canada if that makes any difference. Thanks All.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ron DeMink (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #109) on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 7:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

tourist tax is collected by the person who rents out the condo to you and is their responsibility, better check w/them. 8% sales tax is collected by seller, person renting the property to you OR is sometimes "hidden" in the price like the grocery stores on Bonaire. Airport tax is collected at airport and is now almost always included in the cost of your airline ticket. The airport looks at your tickets when you leave and makes that determination,that cost is $35 paid there IF not already included in your ticket. Dont know if there is age limit.Have fun, we leave Wed(boo-Hoo)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17312) on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 10:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh..and children are not taxed the per day tax. I have traveled with my 2 children several times to Bonaire and have only ever paid for adults.I can't recall what the cut off age is though..have a fabulous trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13070) on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 3:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Children 13 and under do not pay tourist tax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13071) on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 3:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

On your car rental, you pay 8% sale tax. This is paid to the rental agency you rent your car from directly.

Depending on where you stay, $5.50 or $6.50 per person per night, age 13 and under do not pay this tax to be clear on above. Some call it a hotel tax, some call it tourist tax. The place you rent from collects this tax. You pay them directly.

IF you rent your place and it comes with a car rental, then you will pay the taxes directly to the place you are renting from.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration