BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Bonaire in March?
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Bonaire in March?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #115) on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This July will be my 5th trip to Bonaire. I've always come in the summer (June or July). I love Bonaire and want to bring my hubby next year. I'm a teacher so I have to work around my school calendar. My husband would like to come over spring break (last week of March). I'm nervous about the crowds though from the cruise ships. It looks like there will be two cruise ships each day that same week this year. Is Bonaire going to feel so crowded that I wonder what I'm doing there? We'd probably stay at the Divi because my parents have a timeshare there! Are the pod people going to over run the Divi while we are there? Will I be able to schedule snorkeling with Renee or is she committed to cruise ship excursions? Will I be able to enjoy Jibe City or will it be too crowded? Will I be able to get dinner reservations at all of my favorite restaurants? This will be my husbands first trip to Bonaire and I want him to love it as much as I do! I'd love to escape winter for a week in Bonaire in March but don't want to regret not going in the summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #508) on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

the cruise schedule from 21st march shows 2 cruise ships in port on the 23rd,1 for a half day on the 24th,1 on the 25th, 1 on the 28th,1 very small one for a half day on the 30th and1 for a half day on the 31st. the ships all sail by 5PM at the latest and since the food is free on the ship rarely are they ever out dining. i would contact Renee for her schedule .. yes there will be cruisers at the divi beach and at jibe city .. remember .. the invasion is only for a few hours. relax and enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #213) on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Pietri. Not to worry. Yesterday there were two gigundous cruise ships in, but, except for being able to see them from our beach (Harbour Village), it was as though they weren't there. We did nothing away from the hotel until dinner, of course, when they were both gone. You certainly don't want to go to town for lunch or shopping, or sight-see around the island. But you can take the dive boat out from your hotel, you can drive to your favorite snorkelling/shore diving spots, you can do pretty much all the things you would generally do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6652) on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 3:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hmmm I have to respectfully disagree. I've done Bonaire in July several times and several in the winter months. I think there is a definite different vibe in the summer. The first time I was there for cruise ships, I couldn't believe it. It's not a make or break but if I had a choice I'd work around the cruise ship schedule. I'll be in Bonaire next week, and it looks like only the Freewinds will be there, with the exception of Friday.

Jeff is right, there is certainly plenty of other things to do while they are there. But I like keeping my options open. ;)

Jeff.... how is Bonaire?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2859) on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 3:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

kelly, we aren't noticing many problems with the cruise ships now because we try to avoid town when they are in. i do an early bike ride around the south end then dive southern sites if a cruise ship is in...or hit a few sites where the podders won't be...andrea I and II and places like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6653) on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 4:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, you know how weird and quirky I am! lol!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #493) on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 4:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jennifer - from what I've personally experienced, both Divi and Jibe City will be crowded with the cruisers on the days the ships are in town. And generally getting around downtown when the cruisers are in port is not as relaxing as enjoying downtown without a ship in port.

So, if doing those things is really an integral part of your trip then you might regret going when ships are in port.

I really tried to stay away from town or Lac Cai on the days ships were in port. I was pretty bummed to realize that the day I had free to go paddleboarding was a "no go" because there was a cruise ship in port.

Dinner should not be a problem as most of the cruisers are back on their boat and heading out to sea by time you roll into town for an evening meal. Unless you eat early (like before 6 p.m.).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #215) on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Kelly -- Bonaire is great -- but what's new about that. It has rained a bit 3 out of 4 days. It rained in fact, quite a bit today, but it didn't spoil a thing. We're off to Kon Tiki for dinner, and then crashing.

I know, I know, BACK ON TOPIC! I second Lizard's comments...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guilherme Losch (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 7:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, where can i see the cruise ships schedule? I´ll be there in the second week of March. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie................someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15593) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 7:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.infobonaire.com/cruises.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BEM (BonaireTalker - Post #75) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 11:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Also
http://www.cleancruising.com.au/port.asp?port=ANKRA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #419) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 12:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jennifer, we stayed at Divi the 2nd and 3rd weeks of January and had a total of 7 cruise ships as I recall. Renee is very busy and Dee is full when they are in port. However, both will work with you and schedule trips around the cruise ships. It was not terribly crowded at Divi but I understand Jibe City was packed.

You will have no problem with any meals when they are in and only Karels and City Cafe seem to get their drink business. By the way, Paradise Moon is only open for lunch when cruise ships are in.

Our philosophy, "Enjoy Bonaire and ignore the cruise ship distractions."

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration