BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Long term Dive Gear Storage
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Long term Dive Gear Storage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By claude bruce (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 12:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Having just returned from a wonderful but far too short visit to Bonaire I realize I need suggestions on a topic I've not seen discussed here. After nine trips we've decided that toting all our dive gear elsewhere is a waste of money and energy. Karen and I are not the rabid divers we once were and our time to dive is limited. In short we want to take our equipment to Bonaire, have it serviced in Bonaire, and leave it in Bonaire 'till the next visit. Your thoughts ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #30558) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 1:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Claude, YGM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #758) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 1:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You could try these guys. Maybe you could share.

www.bonaireselfstorage.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #497) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 6:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I have has a 5 X 5 unit at Bonaire Self Storage for two years and can't recommend the place enough. Having the extra storage has let us buy all kinds of stuff for fun and also leave lots behind including all dive gear. When you start adding up airline luggage fees and dragging things back and forth it was a no-brainer for us. It is secure and the rates we felt very fair.

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #645) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 9:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Curious question:

Does the heat affect the dive gear in anyway? It would seem that an intense heat buildup would occur. What is necessary to do about keeping rubber and silicon items safe?

I think the idea is sensational. I spoke of storage units 12 years ago and had wished I had had the land and the money to have done it myself.

Hat's off to the business owners and wish you lots of success in your expansion efforts. I believe you will need to expand even more once this idea gets around the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By claude bruce (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 10:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I appreciate your responses. We're cultivating several ideas thanks to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #498) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 11:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have had no noticeable effects from heat or dust. First time we used the unit we put some stuff in plastic containers bought at Lucky's and also loosely wrap gear with heavy gage plastic. It seems that the amount of heat, moisture and dust is very minimal that actually gets in. Another thing I will add is that the security was changed to a wireless pass system so you just wave your card at the entrance to get in, only need keys for the lock you put on your door.

It works well for us since we come twice a year.
Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #75) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 11:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can also rent a pallet from Rocargo. All the dive bags are stacked on it then they shrink-wrap and store it for you.

I do not know how prices compare with the newer self-storage units but if you are just storing dive gear you may not need all the space in a self-storage.

You need to be sure you can access your gear when you arrive due to store hours.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration