BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: City/Island street maps?
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: City/Island street maps?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robint (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 11:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is there a good place to get a city or island street map?
I am writing down addresses of restaurants, grocery stores, etc. but if I don't have a map it will be time consuming to find them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2833) on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

there are some pretty good maps available at car rental companies as well as the hotels. some are pretty basic and only show a general view of the island with the main streets indicated (which still might be good enough to find restaurants and stores). there is at least one other map out there that shows a lot of the small neighborhood streets also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1202) on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

All that (maps and island info) is available on the airport wall by the luggage carousel, if not, then at your resort, or in most of the stores. For free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1532) on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 12:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.skyviews.com/skyviews/maps/bonaire/

That has a little legend on it that shows different business like supermarkets and stuff like that.

But there are paper ones available at the airport when you get there, as someone else mentioned.

e.

(Message edited by herk_man on January 11, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #176) on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 4:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

robin, you can get street maps at the car rental, the airport and usually the place that you will be staying at. The map will help but the island is small and fairly easy to navigate. You will more likely not need the map after the second day unless there is a specific place you want to go that is not along or close to the main roads. It's much more fun to explore a small island and driving off the beaten path without any aids. Happy diving, happy driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #900) on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 5:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Robin
I imagine that you have seen the maps here, but then again maybe not. They are not great but not bad either.
http://www.bonaireislandinfo.com/
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #561) on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 8:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The best map I have ever seen for Bonaire is from Berndtson & Berndtson. Cost is $11.95 plus shipping at http://shop.itmb.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=197_106&products_id=1216. Unlike many of the free maps that come with rental vehicles, this one shows both the named and unnamed paved and unpaved roads for basically the entire island. It even shows the dirt "shortcut" road back to Kralendyjk from the Karpata area. A few other websites (like Amazon) show it but with "limited availability", which really means "unavailable". Berndtson & Berndtson's website (Berndtson.com) lists the map for $10.95 but directs you to Amazon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #479) on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 8:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

various maps are available at the tourist office along with a myriad of other information pamphlets and publications ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robint (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 1:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks everybody. I thought we got a map last trip at the airport, but I can't find it anywhere. I guess I need to dig further as I am sure we got one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #939) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree fully with Dr. Director, the best map is the one from Berndtson & Berndtson. I bought mine on Bonaire for $8.00. But, that was in 1998; and now it has tape all over it from many un-foldings and re-foldings.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration