BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Sirius/XM Radio- Will it work in Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Sirius/XM Radio- Will it work in Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonaireisgreat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #109) on Thursday, January 6, 2011 - 12:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just wondering if we brought our satellite radio if it would work in Bonaire? Anyone every try?
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Smith (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Thursday, January 6, 2011 - 9:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

foot print depends on the sat conus. fwiw:

http://www.deadzones.com/2008/08/sirius-xm-radio-satellite-service.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert (BonaireTalker - Post #65) on Thursday, January 6, 2011 - 12:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just bring a laptop or iPhone and steam via wifi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonaireisgreat (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #110) on Thursday, January 6, 2011 - 1:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We're going to bring it to test it since its so small. Looks like the satellite goes near Bonaire as it rotates, if I'm reading the map right. I'd try wifi but Divi 99% of time don't have it near the timeshares:( I was actually thinking of just bringing a router or range extender to get it down to the timeshare from the lobby. Hope they fix that soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric M. "CamMan" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1513) on Thursday, January 6, 2011 - 3:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Based on this info about Sirius in Puerto Rico (found on Wiki) I would bet it is not available in Bonaire. If it can't be received in PR without the terrestial repeaters due to buildings blocking the western view of the satellites, I'm thinking Bonaire is way outside the receiving window. JMHO. e.

Sirius in Puerto Ricoin September 2009, The Federal Communications Commission said "yes" to Sirius XM's request for Special Temporary Authority temporarily to operate 20 terrestrial repeaters for the satellite radio service in Puerto Rico.

The commission did so over the objections of the Puerto Rico Radio Broadcasters Association (Asociación de Radiodifusores de Puerto Rico), who said the approval in essence expands the Sirius XM footprint outside its authorized coverage area and that the satcaster would compete with terrestrial broadcasters for listeners.

After receiving communications by public officials in opposition to the broadcasters, such as Puerto Rico Secretary of State Kenneth McClintock, in rejecting those arguments, the commission said Sirius XM's footprint already covers the island but the signal is weak and blocked by tall buildings and foliage. As for the impact on competition, the FCC said it has considered these arguments before and "declined to find that" satellite radio would harm local broadcasters.

The Sirius full terrestrial coverage is available in select sites in the cities of San Juan, Carolina, Bayamón, Cataño, Caguas and Ponce. In the rest of Puerto Rico, coverage is provided by Sirius' constellation of satellites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Knobler (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #179) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 5:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I tried last year and I could not get reception on a portable (stiletto) receiver.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration