BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Buying bicycles on island
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Buying bicycles on island
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #198) on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 4:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi-can good light racing bikes be bought on Bonaire reasonably or is it better to ship ours? Anyone have a good contact number? We remember one shop but not many bikes there- any different now? How about on Curacao?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2813) on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

most bikes would have to be ordered. you're right, there's not much of a selection at de freewieler (sp?)but he can get good bikes. i'd be leery of having a road bike there. i've seen them on the roads but i also know the route we ride in the morning would chew up thin, road bike tires. i have a mountain bike with smooth tires and haven't had a problem yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #199) on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Pat-what type of mountain bike do you recommend? We have Sirrius(Specialized) carbon fiber racers so are completely unfamiliar, but would love to try mountain bikes-advice??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2814) on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 8:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i have an old (really, really old)giant that i took down years ago. it has no suspension at all but works well for the type of riding that i do there. i had a lot of work done to it last year (new brake pads, new spokes on both wheels,and new cables) and it works well now. i'll ask our neighbor about her bike. she bought it new there about three or four years ago and has front and rear suspension. she can often kick my butt when we ride.

up here i have an old colnago and a schwinn paramount. i'd consider taking the colnago to bonaire but there are section of the roads we ride often (the section between willemstoren lighthouse and baby beach to be exact) that could probably shred even kevlar belted tires.

i have seen a few road bikes there...but probably a dozen or less. but people do ride them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #119) on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 10:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The roads have so many pot holes in them now (after the rains) that I would expect the tires on a light racing bike might last you about 1/2 mile :) .

If you are picky at all about bike frame sizes, derailers, options on a mountain bike, the obvious suggestion is to do your research in the USA and find what fits and what you like as you would probably be just guessing based on the selection on Bonaire, and you would probably have to order it anyway. If you are shipping any other items from the USA via Rocargo, now that there is just the 8% ABB tax (no import duties), it probably makes sense to purchase exactly what you want in the USA and ship it down (since you would already be paying the shipping paperwork overhead on your other items, you won't incur more overhead costs by shipping more items ).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #200) on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 10:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Barton and Pat- lots of good tips. Our Armadillo tires held up pretty well down there when we used to live on island and ride everyday down south since we had turned the racers into hybrids really. But it sounds like good suspension and the right tires will help us decide on good mountain bikes ( easier on the back and neck too I hope) and I like the idea of testing bikes in the states first and buying up here- (oboy, shopping!) instead of ordering blind on Bonaire- glad to see taxes are going down on imports! I'll go read the reporter article- wonder what qualifies as a fuel efficient car exactly??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Schnaak (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Saturday, January 1, 2011 - 6:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

we shipped a couple of Cannondale hybrids down and have been very pleased. I might suggest that you get the kevlar tire inserts as well. Haven't had a flat yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #201) on Saturday, January 1, 2011 - 11:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Bruce! We'll definitely look at those today. We like hybrids- more comfortable for sure and like the handling..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2815) on Saturday, January 1, 2011 - 1:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

you also might be able to get kevlar belted tires (not inserts). i used to have road tires like that. i liked them because they also folded and i could carry a spare with me folded up under the seat in case of emergency. i never needed it but did loan it to someone on a century ride once when he blew out his sidewall. he used my spare and gave it back after the ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #202) on Saturday, January 1, 2011 - 5:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

After looking at prices for the really nice mountain bike/hybrids I think we'll try to find used ones in Key West or Miami-anybody looking to sell there?? Spent a fortune on the Sirrius bikes and we'll keep those in the States-Re tires, we've had really good luck with the Armadillo tires- never a blowout -wonder what they're made of??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric M. "CamMan" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1499) on Tuesday, January 4, 2011 - 3:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Call Jerry, I hear he has some nice Schwinns he'll sell you at a good price.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #384) on Thursday, January 6, 2011 - 10:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dennis and Patti-
I brought down my Trek cyclocross bike to use and leave on Bonaire. The carbon bike stays home. The tires are Kevlar and I am on year #2 with them and no flats yet. I see other road bikers out there (southern loop) when I am riding. Pat is right, the road is a little rough, especially on the eastern side (rough side) of the loop. I keep waiting for the inner tubes to burst, just from rot! But, so far so good. Happy cycling. (Hi Pat)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2828) on Thursday, January 6, 2011 - 11:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi kate....you'll be riding with us again this year right? see you soon.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration