BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Mosquitoes still BAD???
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Mosquitoes still BAD???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #49) on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We're packing as I write, (leave tomorrow!) and trying to decide if the mosquito's are still as bad as what's been written lately. This will determine how many (if any!) long sleeved shirts we need to bring! We've been there 3 other times and never even brought insect repellent as we've never had any problems before.
Can someone shed some light on the skeeter problem??
BON HERE WE COME!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #169) on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 1:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't know the answer, just jealous!!! Have a wonderful trip......we have 51 days to go!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #929) on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 2:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Still raining from time to time but not the long rain showers anymore ... but it means that water pools are still there and so are the mosquitos ...
Sorry .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #30340) on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 3:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/1022/439938.html?1293400728

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #265) on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 5:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The mosquitos are very abundant and aggressive. More so than usual.

They seem to have evolved and are doing flash mobs. I think they are planning a special feast with all the new foreign blood coming to the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #50) on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 5:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, looks like LS shirts & a gallon of mosquito spray are all we need! And, Fid, glad to know we'll be contributing to the feast-always happy to help those in need!
Susan, maybe you'll have better weather, less bugs=more fun, then our turn to be jealous!
Thanks everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #306) on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 4:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are many reports of dengue on the island, so be sure to bring plenty of Deep Woods Off and put on as soon as you wake up in the morning and go out the door.

I have a friend who just contracted dengue for the second time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 5:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is picaridin and/or promethrin a better alternative to DEET?

(Message edited by Scuba1727 on December 31, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 5:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That should be permethrin. Oops. And I just read it's highly toxic to fish so maybe not.

(Message edited by Scuba1727 on December 31, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burt F. Witlin (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Saturday, January 1, 2011 - 10:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

[quote]Is picaridin and/or promethrin a better alternative to DEET?

That should be permethrin. Oops. And I just read it's highly toxic to fish so maybe not. [/quote]

Picaridin is to be applied on skin and is not supposed to harm equipment in any way. Deet apparently does. I am bringing both. Deet for after my diving is done for the day and showered off before I start the next day. Picaridin while I'm diving.

Permethrin is NOT to be applied to skin - only to clothes and allowed to completely dry before putting them on. It is supposed to last 6 weeks or 6 washings. It should pose no danger to fish unless you spray your wetsuit/rash guard. Why would you do that? I plan on spraying my clothes at home and drying them completely. I'll wear them after the days diving. I really don't see a problem.

This is the first time I've used either so I can't comment about their effectiveness. Only the claims of the manufacturer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Saturday, January 1, 2011 - 3:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've read all that stuff also. But does anyone have any experience with these products?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ABCdivers (BonaireTalker - Post #59) on Saturday, January 1, 2011 - 10:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We use Cutter Advanced with Picaridin ever since my wife's deet melted a plastic shopping bag while on Roatan a couple of years ago. Have used it with great success on Roatan, Bonaire, Cozumel, Hawaii, and N. Sulawesi, Indonesia. We were told they had dengue fever problems while at Kasawari, Lembeh and not a bite for me using the Cutter Advanced. We usually take a couple of the regular size bottles and about 4 of the 1 oz travel sizes on our dive trips. The 1 oz'ers come in handy for carry-on bags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Saturday, January 1, 2011 - 11:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I heard only 20% is good. What strength did you use? And has anyone have any success with lemon oil of eucalyptus?

(Message edited by scuba1727 on January 1, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #736) on Sunday, January 2, 2011 - 2:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm in the Pest control industry and I'm not really enthused to hear your putting Permethrin on your skin.
Picaridin is the active ingredient in Avon product,Skin so soft.
I'd try the non chemical approach,cover all exposed skin,leave a light on in the bathroom at night.Take a empty beer case, spray lots of deet on the inside. In the morning the mosquitoes need a dark place to go and they'll find the box.
I'd try the cactus juice bug spray, it uses all natural ingredients. You can find Cactus Juice online.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burt F. Witlin (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Sunday, January 2, 2011 - 8:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Quote from Bill Thorp "I'm in the Pest control industry and I'm not really enthused to hear your putting Permethrin on your skin. "

You should really take the time to read someone's post before responding. I said "Permethrin is NOT to be applied to skin - only to clothes and allowed to completely dry before putting them on."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2817) on Sunday, January 2, 2011 - 10:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

bill, the beer case idea sounds good but i thought deet was a repellent, not an insecticide. wouldn't spraying deet into the case just keep the mosquitoes from going in there? would spraying an insecticide into the box work better? sounds like a do-it-yourself ant trap or roach motel...the mosquitoes check in but don't check out.

i agree about cactus juice...we've used it for years. it works great for me, sometimes not so well for mary.

we have also tried the eucalyptus/lemon oil product. mary says it helps her a lot but smells really bad (at least to me)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #737) on Sunday, January 2, 2011 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Burt,
When you put chemicals on your clothing it eventually will get on your skin-dry or not.
Pat,
I've always stayed away from deet, As I don't like putting chemicals on my skin.--just looked at the label and your right.
Use the permetherin in the box--
Here is my general point.All chemicals are tested for safety, lots of time and money is expended.
With all the testing they still don't know everything about these chemicals--so use caution.
Permetherins are a synthetic pyrethroid and yes not well absorbed by the skin, but that being said why do you them anyplace close to your lungs or skin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burt F. Witlin (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Sunday, January 2, 2011 - 6:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill Thorpe said:
"Burt,
When you put chemicals on your clothing it eventually will get on your skin-dry or not."

Not only should you read before you reply, you should check your facts rather than blowing smoke. With advanced degrees in Biology and Chemistry I can catagorically state that you don't know whereof you speak. Some chemicals can be absorbed after they dry or upon re-wetting. Many others can't. Especially those that bind to fiber. Many, many others can't be absorbed at all - wet or dry.

Moreover most skin is not very permeable. You have to get most chemicals on mucousa for them to be readily absorbed. There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part absorption through the skin is not a problem with most chemicals - even poisons.

Bill Thorp said:
"Permetherins are a synthetic pyrethroid and yes not well absorbed by the skin, but that being said why do you them anyplace close to your lungs or skin."

Because I hate mosquitoes, I hate to itch, and I don't want to get Denegue Fever. The risk using picaridin and/or promethrin is vanishingly small. Methinks you are somewhat of an extremest, along the lines of the PETA folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1200) on Sunday, January 2, 2011 - 6:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I started using 75% DEET in Southeast Asia in 1967.
I've used it ever since because it works well for me.
No other product has worked nearly as well.
No side effects to date, either to me or my equipment.
I do not apply it just before a dive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #738) on Sunday, January 2, 2011 - 8:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Safety Tips for Using Pesticides
1. Don’t use any pesticide without thoroughly reading and understanding the label instructions.
2. Don’t use any pesticide not stored in the original container; always store pesticides in the original container.
3. Don’t breathe pesticide spray, mist or dust.
4. Don’t smoke when handling or applying pesticides.
5. Don’t get pesticides in eyes, on skin or on clothing.
6. Wear an approved respirator. Some pesticides require specific respirators. Use only respirators approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and the Mining Enforcement and Safety Administration (MESA). Look for NIOSH approval numbers, which begin with “TC.” Read the label on the pesticide container and on the respirator cartridge cannister. Make sure all proper equipment is used.
7. Wear natural rubber gloves and freshly laundered protective clothing.
8. If a pesticide is spilled on skin or clothing, wash thoroughly with soap and water and change clothes.
9. Bathe promptly after working with pesticides and wash clothing with soap and water before re-use. However, don’t wash contaminated clothing along with other clothing.
10. Don’t take pesticides internally.
11. Wash hands and face thoroughly before eating, drinking, smoking or urinating.
Please read numbers 3 and 5.

Burt, I'm not an extremist, but I do use lots of caution.
Try using the cactus juice and see if it works?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #51) on Sunday, January 2, 2011 - 8:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, just an update-we've had our first day on Bonaire, and luckily we have had no problem with mosquitoes. We also heard that PURE vanilla mixed with equal amounts of water makes a great repellant. We brought some, haven't tried it yet. Will post results if we try it, but we hope they will just stay away for the next two weeks! Thanks everyone for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2818) on Sunday, January 2, 2011 - 8:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

regarding the chemicals remember what we were told years ago "cyclamates...it's a great artificial sweetener. hexachlorophine...good addition to deodorants. agent orange...not really a problem". even when used per manufacturers instructions and government guidelines there can still be problems. who knows??? someday i may hear of problems with cactus juice, eucalyptus, and other things. just be careful and don't get complacent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #739) on Sunday, January 2, 2011 - 9:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat,
My uncle was a Marine on Guadalcanal,to combat lice they were sprayed down with DDT.
When I was in Viet Nam they sprayed agent orange like there was no tomorrow.
Both times they said it was safe, with no side effects.
All I'm saying is you can't take back your good health, so please be careful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burt F. Witlin (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Monday, January 3, 2011 - 10:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My Dad worked 40 years in a Pittsburgh mill that made air brakes for trains and such. When he worked shakeout he would wash off with benzene, acetone, and other chemicals that are skin permeable and some are cumulative liver poisons. He's now 89, we go to the gym 3 times a week where he spends a half hour on the treadmill and then works on some of the resistance machines.

My experience with biomedical research (extensive) is this:

1. Most research is done by graduate students or assistants for a superior who has already decided on what he's trying to prove.

2. Their degree/job depends on this person.

3. In order not to "rock the boat" data that does not fit is removed as "outliers". Some data is made up. Some experiments are discarded.

NSF, NIH, and other studies have found that biomedical research is rife with fraud. It is estimated that about 50% is outright fraud, another 27% or so has data that has been manipulated, and the rest - most of the results aren't statistically significant.

It should be obvious to anyone with common sense. Look at food recommendations. Red meat is bad, red meat is good. Eggs are bad, nope they are good. Butter is bad and margarine is good, whoops - hydrogenated oil - maybe butter IS better. Red wine in moderation is good, red wine has no effect. It all depends on whose grinding the ax.

I'm not saying that you should disregard safety precautions. I AM saying that with reasonable care there is little to worry about.

I know I'll not change anyone's mind. Don't know why I bothered thus far. This is my last post to a thread that has gone way too long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #170) on Monday, January 3, 2011 - 10:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Could someone just do me a favor and get rid of these mosquitoes before the 19th of february. Thanks, my allergic skin will appreciate it!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2820) on Monday, January 3, 2011 - 11:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

bill, that was exactly my point. i have already had one friend die from complications from agent orange and my neighbor has numerous medical problems due to AO exposure and another has had cancer and thyroid problems also due to exposure (wow...makes four years on a submarine look pretty darn safe). during their tours in nam they were all told it was safe if you washed it off within a few days.

and with "reasonable care" there IS little to worry about....until there is a lot to worry about.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration