BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Atm access for Canadians
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2001-07-02 to 2001-12-31: Atm access for Canadians
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By freda armstrong on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 12:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've gone through the archives and can't find any information which will answer my questions. I've made arrangements (thanks to someone else's post) with Antillean Wines to have our month's supply delivered the day after our arrival. Then found that they don't use charge cards: cash or travellers cheques only. We haven't used travellers cheques for years, since the advent of ATMs. I understand that it would be logical for US residents to have access to the ATM, but how do Canadians access their bank accounts? It's something I've never really looked into. We travel to the US frequently, but charge cards always seem to do the trick. This is something I really need to have resolved before we leave home, as we have a month on-island and will certainly need some cash. Any ideas? Perhaps I could contact the Bonaire bank directly?? Could anyone give me their name or phone or email? Much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 4:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you have a regular ATM card to access your bank account, chances are it will work on Bonaire. Check what "network" it belongs to. Mine covers several: NYCE, ACCESS, etc. If you check those for yours, I'm sure Michael Gaynor or someone else on Bonaire can verify if yours are covered. I did find that when I used my card a couple of years ago, I was charged a $3 fee per use, so I now take travellers checks or US $ and just change at the bank when I arrive. Good exchange rate, no fees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 6:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You should have no trouble buying money at the ATMs on the island. The machines dispense in dollars or guilders. I would be quite surprised if the Canadian banks were not tied into Cirrus or one of the other worldwide ATM networks. I really doubt you'll have any trouble at all.

Maduro & Curiel's website lists Cirrus, Plus and Maestro networks, and cash advances using Mastercard and Visa.

Credit cards are widely accepted on the island. We noticed on our recent trip that more businesses are taking American Express, which was nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Moore on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 2:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just got back from Bonaire, and although Canadian, we used American dollars & travellers cheques. They worked fine. American change is also helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 11:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When I first arrived in the "B" "C" Islands a year a go i was a little worried for the first 2 weeks i had little luck with atm machines then after having my wallet stolen (visa stolen atm card still in house)i called my bank and they confirmed that my canadian atm card should work here so after some investigation i learned that Maduro & Curiel's bank is affiliated with the Bank Of Nova Scotia so sure enough when i tried one of there machines no problem ...the *plus* symbol is what i should have been initially looking for!! HAPPY VACATIONING TO YOU ALL !!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration