BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: High School on Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2001-07-02 to 2001-12-31: High School on Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 12:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake...is there a High School on Bonaire? Steve said he didnt think so....in that case where will your children go...to Curacao...??? is that like a commute..or do they stay the term and then come home.....We noticed alot of kids this trip that just seemed to be "hanging out' it is a shame if they don't have some kind of school for this age group....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 8:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl, the windsurf guys go to a high school. I picked one of them up a few times after school so he could come sail.

What I do not get is one 18 year old "graduated" but is still going? Also, they seem to track kids for either voke ed or academic ed..is this true?

:)
Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 11:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are different levels of higher ed in the Antilles. We do have "high school" here and also a higher level on Curacao. Many of our graduates go right from here to Curacao or Holland and attend schools that we would consider similar to Jr. colleges and to universities as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 3:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For Americans, the high school levels are very confusing. You get placed via testing. HAVO is like an Amercian College Prep. so if you pass you can go directly to university. There is another level above that which includes studies in Latin even.

Other levels include various vocational, and career based levels. For example, a student I know took the MAVO I and graduated. She wanted to go to accounting school so she needs to complete MAVO III before going to college. Other ones are MBO and VBO. I have no idea what order things are in. I think I counted 9 plus variations of high school levels when I was researching it.

The odd thing seems to be passing with a certain grade, and moving on to the next higher level. So you can get high school students that are quite a bit older than 18.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration