BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: The Secret's Out...?
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2001-07-02 to 2001-12-31: The Secret's Out...?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 2:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The following was in today's The Daily Herald:

--------------
Special Welcome For U.S. Visitors [to] Bonaie
BONAIRE — "We are here for You," is the slogan with which Bonaire hopes to attract and welcome U.S. visitors in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks.

The new slogan of the renowned dive-destination
was launched two weeks ago during a promotion in Denver, Colorado. Visitors to the island will get a button with the slogan, which is also being distributed among airport personnel, tax drivers, hotel employees, restaurants and hotels.

All visitors will also be given letters from Lt. Governor Richard Hart welcoming them and asking them to let others know if they enjoyed their stay, on the Website bonairetalk.com.

A large banner has also been hung at the aiport with the Bonaire and American flags crossing each other and the slogan.
---------------------

The "secret" I'm referring to in this topic is the reference to BonaireTalk in the Lt. Governor's letter (which I made bold :-) above). We weren't aware that BonaireTalk was going to getting that sort of endorsement any time soon, but think it's very nice that Bonaire's government officials recognize BonaireTalk as a great place to exchange information about Bonaire!

If anyone gets a copy of the letter during an upcoming trip to Bonaire, please send us a copy or post it here!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill & Cheryl Rathborne on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 3:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,

Awesome. They'll be giving you the keys to the salt mine next! I hope the campaign keeps the tourists (divers) coming. Some scary economic numbers coming out of the US recently, like an 8.5% decline in durable goods purchases. Of course, people are skipping the new fridge, and escaping to paradise!!

Maybe I'll sell the fridge!

Congratulations,

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 3:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So they are just realizing what we have known for a long time. BonaireTalk is awesome.

Aquaman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 4:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's nice that you and Linda are being recognized for your hard work, Jake. You have really made a difference in my determination to get back to Bonaire. (I think I've committed to sell whatever it takes, but Alan says he's not part of the package!) Mind you, who wants a 60 year old, getting heaver, getting a little bald male who won't even dive!? I do, of course, so I guess I'll sell the cats, or maybe it will be just the fridge. Winter's almost here so we won't need it for a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde Lee on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 4:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake and Linda et.al...that is wonderful. Maybe the Governor has been stealthing the boards and realizes how much you guys do for the Island and tourism!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 10:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake and Linda....you must know what a wonderful job you have done over the years...but the secrets out! I may be alittle upset at that...One of the reasons I love Bonaire is because when you tell someone where you went on vacation they say..."Where?"....You may now need alittle more gate reinforcement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 1:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake and Linda...Nicely done.

Meryl...I don't think Bonaire will catch on that fast and if it does, there is only so much tourist capacity - limited by transport, hotels/rooms, restaurants, etc. - that the island can absorb.

Economics hasn't been the only limiting factor of growth. Bonaire has for a long time kept it's infrastructure small to maintain it's quaint and peaceful environment.
Ever wonder why there is no building over 3 floors? In Rincon, only 2 floors is allowed. It was/is planned that way and I doubt a few buttons, a letter and a great online BonaireTalkDiscussion (no offense intended here) will increase tourism beyond what we all like about Bonaire.

In addition two major hotels (Harbour Village and Sunset) have closed their 280 plus rooms in the past 4 years. That limits the room capacity even further.

Bonaire, in my opinion, will never need gate reinforcement. And, people will still say, "Where?" when you tell them. :):)

Relax, be happy....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 8:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barry Iwas wondering where you are from originally? Was your Dive Instructors name JOHN? If so I believe that I have the righ Barry..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 8:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was certified in Poughkeepsie, NY...yes, his name is John P. and I guided him on the Jammer, plus several others in his group. So, do you have the right me?

To be accurate, I'm from Reading, PA just outside Phila. IBM took me up to Beamer-town.

Now, are you going to reveal who you are?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jan angier on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 9:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe if the governor is enlisting BT for tourism promotion in a formal way...he should think about supporting BT a bit also. $$$$ ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 9:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

So cool BT got some publicity but..I also do not want to share Bonaire with too many people..shhhhhhh

:)
Annie
Cape Cod
53 more days??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas R. Gastio on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barry: Just thought that I would drop you a line as anonymous to be sure it was the same Barry. I worked with John quite a bit as Divemaster/Assistant Instructor when he ran Marsh Scuba supply. John and I all got certified as Divemaster, and Assistants together. I don't know if you remember me, but I am one of the owners of the Divi timeshare that we had the Friday party when we were there. John and I were partners on one unit. I will be there on the 7th and return on the 16th. Maybe we can get reaquainted and share an Amstel together. I live in East Fishkill, and still see Dick Marsh occasionally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 2:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amstel sounds great, Tom...now I just need tickets from Jakarta, Indonesia to return for the get together. Wish I could see you and the others again, but it will be a long time, I think, before I return to Bonaire. Donna's still there, 717-7735. Give her a call, she can drink my Amstel.

I live here in Jakarta now, teaching English part time, still semi-retired, and have a new baby boy that is just 2 months old. How's that for a shocker.

I still have the polartech I got from Dick. I remember the first time I wore it was at Pink Beach searching for two lost divers. It was Dick's last day at the Caribe Inn. Please tell him I said hi and keep well if you see him.

How's John? I miss him and all you guys.

Have fun on the trip - hmmmm, November, winds should be down, East Coast time, yeah?

Keep in touch! Be safe.

Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas R. Gastio on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 4:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Barry will tell Dick and John that you said hello...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 8:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jan,

We actually would not want any funding from anyone for BonaireTalk (although we do sell advertising - see bottom of this page for a sample).

Why don't we want funding? Because it could taint the perception of objectiveness which is the core of BonaireTalk and throw any actions Linda and I might take to fulfill our self-instilled moderating responsibilities into question as to motive.

Jake

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration