BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Poison Animals on Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archives - 2006-01-06 to 2006-03-01: Poison Animals on Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bart Vertenten (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 6:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear BT'ers

I have a few questions, because I have read a few things here.
I just read a story, that someone saw an scorpion when putting on her diving gear.

Are there many scorpions on Bonaire, en how dangerous are they.
Are there any other animals that we need to be careful of?

greets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3099) on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 6:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Bart, I was able to find the following:

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/771/131765.html?1071637451
and
http://www.bmp.org/html/scientific_data__island.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #554) on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 8:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Bart

I have yet to see a scorpion in Bonaire. I know they exist but they don't seem too common. Donkeys and goats wondering in the street are what I am most afraid of. They make terrible hood ornaments. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2118) on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 8:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We used to have many at my former rental in Playa Pabou. Also these odd wiry little wormy snake things...ick...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rog & Karen Huff (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #180) on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 8:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have only seen one scorpion on Bonaire... approximately 7 or 8 years ago at the old BBB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1306) on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've seen several, all smallish, and I've never experienced any stings.
mare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By janvanderlist (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 4:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

any dangerous animals ?

Be carefull not to swim during discovery shark week!

The scorpions are very small and when you get stung it feels like a whasp stich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karin van Veen (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1760) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 10:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been looking for scorpions on Bonaire for the past 3 years, never found one. But, I'll be there, picking up stones again next week!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By constance (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 2:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well I saw the one that was inside my dive beanie down near the road by White Slave. In 6 trips there that is the only one I have seen and I wasn't too happy to see it as I was one instant away from putting it on my head. :-/ If it had crawled inside the leg of my wetsuit I would never have seen it. I only relate it because I had never thought of looking inside my dive gear in between shore dives and I admit I don't look too much now, but I do check my beanie!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny redner (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 9:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

are there fire ants on bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 3:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well - fire ants yes.... if you'd like to come trip my sister's flowers... you'll find them... scorpions... yep in the shed... but they're cute as hell.... just check you wet suit boots and underwear... ouch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kaye (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #140) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, fire ants - I once stood on a nest wearing only flipflops. And I thought I didn't know how to dance.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill LaBarge (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Saturday, March 4, 2006 - 9:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah the dance of the fire ants.... I saw the opera... you funny
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charls toles (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will attest to the scorpions as my first full day there I was checking my dive bag and all of a sudden this God Awful jabbing pain, worse than any wasp sting, in my finger. It was a scorpion that nailed me and after he found his soul I took his picture so the people at home would believe me. I was scared at first but if you have any allergy to bee or wasp stings bring your epi pen. It hurt for 24 hours except when diving, salt water under pressure took the pain away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Johnson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 5:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were just at Bonaire and we had about a 3" scorpion in our bedroom. Not cool. Killed it with a flip-flop. you can see the picture here. "http://www.flickr.com/photos/30961452@N00/sets/72057594121584363/show"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5565) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 6:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BT, Scott! That's a good sized one....they scare me. Used to get them in our home in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, too. Yech.

Nice slide show, too. Makes me homesick.....thanks for posting your link (well, part of it is a link....can't seem to get the "full" link to appear as a hyperlink..maybe it is because of the "@" symbol?

Mods??? Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5566) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

PS To access Scott's site you will need to copy and paste the above address into your browser, otherwise you will receive an "error" message. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luuk Bastiaans (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, May 2, 2006 - 7:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you want to find scorpions at bonaire: throw wet closes at the ground and look after a few days. Scorpions likes to hide themselves in clothes who has a moisture-content. No guarantee, but a big chance to see them. You don't have to kill them, they do no harm. Only when they feel you are a thread for them. So place them outside. We also don't kill every bee or wasp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Johnson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 12:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am not sure about the "no harm" statement. When i looked up the species information online for the Yellow Bark Scorpion (Centruroides testaceus), it says they could be fatal to babies and small children. Granted a sting to a full grown adult may just make you feel bad (assuming you aren't allergic to them), so in that case i guess they aren't that bad for you. Also, i found this in my bedroom. I don't care if it was a spider, anything that crawls around in my bedroom is getting squashed.

Carol, glad you liked the slide show and thank you. sorry the full like was broken up, i am not sure how to make it stay intact with this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2058) on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 8:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The snake Annie refers to is about 3 inches long and blind..won't hurt you. Its the land sharks that concern me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Wahlig (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #208) on Monday, May 8, 2006 - 10:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

What is the "snake" you refer to? I saw one many years ago and couldn't figure out what it was. Anyone have data on it? A name?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #158) on Monday, May 8, 2006 - 11:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Per the Washington Park website: The only snake on Bonaire, Culebra di plata (silver snake), is not bigger than good-sized worm. The one I saw was quite thin and about 5 inches long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2225) on Monday, May 8, 2006 - 1:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ick we had those Nathalie, at our old house..ewwwwwwwwwww

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Wahlig (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #209) on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone have a picture? I would like to confirm that we're talking about what I saw.

BTW, I like snakes, they're cute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #159) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 8:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

John, sorry, no picture. Even though they are called silver snake, the one I saw looked more black. So "picture" thin, black, 3-5 inches long, could be mistaken for a smooth piece of string. Sound like what you saw?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Wahlig (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #210) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 10:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration