BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: DECEMBER & MOSQUITOS?
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2004-09-01 to 2004-12-31: DECEMBER & MOSQUITOS?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Suzanne Olsen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We will be in Bonaire for the first time next Christmas and New Years. After reading severals posts that mentioned problems with mosquitoes during the rainy season, was wondering if they will be a problem during the week we will be there? When is the typical rainy season in Bonaire? I thought that Bonaire was very dry & arrid and did not get much rain.

Thanks,
Suzanne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #467) on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 12:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Suzanne,

My crystal ball for foretelling the future has a big crack in it and I am no longer able to tell the future. I asked it the question and it came up with 46. Sorry I can't help out....

Mare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #659) on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 9:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have 3 Christmas and New Years trips in so far (21 days) and have seen 2 small showers. Both lasted less time then it takes me to drink an Amstal. Mosquitos never bothered us during our trips but we are from the south and live next to a swamp so our idea of no bugs might be a little more tolerant then normal people. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #103) on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 9:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Suzanne,

I agree with Wally & Eva. I haven't been in December but when I was there in August several people complained about mosquitos and I never noticed any. However I am used to being near the swamps in the south and after that I think one tends not to notice mosquitos unless they are in clouds thick enough to block daylight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mercy Baron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #132) on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 4:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just came back from Bon. I live in Los Angeles and never get bitten here by anything. Well, after the rain they've had in Bon, and it did rain a lot whilst I was just there...I've been bitten up like crazy! And that is with using bug spray! I think even the locals were telling me they are getting bitten. Just can't be helped with all that rain they've had. Only good thing...mine didn't itch at all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #608) on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 8:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We had one trip where i didn't get much itch from the mosquito bites while we were on island -- but the second I took a hot shower at home (we'd been doing cold-water showers on island), every single one of the bites that I had gotten during the entire trip (and I had dozens) flared and itched like a sonofagun. I was miserable for several days.

I have never been on Bonaire when the mosquitoes didn't have a field day with me, regardless of the time of the year. Even during times when Jake said there were no mosquitoes, I got bitten. I guess they just happen to like my flavor...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1252) on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 10:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been on Bonaire during some "wet" times. Apparently the mosquitos and no-see-ums consider me delicious. When in doubt use repellant especially if dining outside at night.

Faith, Is it possible you were miserable because your vacation was over?;-{)}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #786) on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 2:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am in Bonaire at the moment and we have had short showers most days, usually first thing in the morning. Although we have had 20 to 30 minute showers on several days. There are a lot of puddles that are not drying up and thats probably were the mosquitos are coming from. We were here the same time last year and it was much drier then, this year is an exception to the normal weather. My tip is to use plenty of repellent and nuke the room with fly spray when you go to dinner, that way you shouldn't get bitten in the night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Suzanne Olsen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 6:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all for the advice. I too am one of those people if a bug is around it will find me. Hubby never gets bitten. I will be taking the deep woods off and hope I can find a can of spray to use in the room when we get there.

Suzanne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #609) on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 11:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I get the fewest bites if I hose down with the bug spray every evening around sunset, and then hose down the sheets on the bed with the bug spray before climbing in. If there are no screens on the windows, try to stick with air conditioning. We also prefer to kill off as many mosquitoes in the evening before bedtime as we can. The skeeters that lurk in the bedroom have a particular affinity for the soft tissue right around my eyes, so I tend to sleep with my head under the sheets so I don't wake up looking like someone slugged me.

And Tom, believe me, the misery was well beyond PBD, more like "I NEED to shred my legs!" I couldn't concentrate on anything, including stuff I wanted to concentrate on...

Faith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1956) on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 11:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have had the best luck in a closed/screened room with one of the anti-insect 'burners', either the coil or the electric-powered pellet burner. Put one under the bed, a favorite lurking place along with behind any furniture. Then add a fan blowing over the bed so the little beggars can't fly at you even if the chemicals don''t get them.

And don't hang your hands out over the edge of the bed-- a sure fire attractor.

A good spraying early and a burner all night has worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #794) on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 7:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

One good point - the island is beautiful and green and the donkeys (those not in the sanctuary)are rarely sen as grass and vegetation are abundant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck H (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 9:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bugs were pretty bad in early December. The government was actually doing spraying up and down the road runs along the beach by the airport. The island is actually pretty lush with growth compared to an earlier visit. It rained a lot while we were there including one hard rainfall that lasted at least 30 minutes. Many areas of open land that are usually dry were flooded the entire time we were there. No complaining by the way, just observing and commenting. We couldn't risk a drive in the park because of the water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #245) on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 9:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please be careful about spraying bedding (sheets) with bug spray. We had a friend on Bonaire last March that sprayed her bed and then got very sick from an alergic reaction and ended up at the Dr's and had a slow recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1265) on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 9:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Faith, I too have slept under the sheets. Also I have run the airco when I would rather be enjoying the natural breeze. I keep saying I am going to take a bug net with me and always forget to pack it. Darn my C.R.S.:-{)}

Brian, I agree with your "One good point". In October it was wet and there were a lot of mosquitos, but the island was beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanf (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1106) on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another caution about spraying the room: if someone in your party has asthma, make sure they're out of the room, and stay out of it, long enough for the stuff to dissipate. I nearly asphyxiated Geoffrey one night when I saw a giant cockroach (something else the wetter weather seems to be bringing out).

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration