BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Info on running
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2004-02-26 to 2004-08-31: Info on running
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanne Jorgensen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 8:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Are there any links for running groups on Bonaire. We will be visiting in July. I'm running the Marine Corps Marathon in October...so I need to keep up with my program. Any advice available on good locations, etc.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J Rushman (BonaireTalker - Post #57) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good luck! Running in Bonaire is challenging due to the heat and humidity. If you try to run early to miss the heat, you will not like have the wind to cool you off (it picks up later in the day). Loose dogs are a problem too if you run into some of the neighborhoods around Kralendijk. I typically run south from Carib Inn past the airport and have not had problems with dogs here. Or if before "rush hour" (before stores are open and people are trying to get to work), north through Kralendijk and back south along the shore road. Drivers tend not to share the road with you (and the paved surface is not as wide as you'd expect in the States), so you'll be running on the side often. Watch your footing for ruts and donkey poop. If you are doing longish runs, bring along fanny packs to carry bottles of water or drop off water ahead of time along your planned route.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4103) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeanne, also avoid running though town or down side streets, my husband was attacked by a pack of dogs on our "first" trip to Bonaire (many moons ago!) But we see runners all the time, I would agree it would have to be done very early in the morning or late in the evening due to the sun...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #394) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 7:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

West side....go north....left to Rincon.....mostly up hill legs......back to town....mostly down hill legs....between 5 and 10 miles....start hitch hiking when done

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration