BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: BonaireTalkers - Dallas, TX Gathering
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2004-02-26 to 2004-08-31: BonaireTalkers - Dallas, TX Gathering
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4874) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 9:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I learned yesterday that I need to be in Dallas, Texas for a client meeting on Tuesday, and as I was already in the U.S. (DC today), it was easier to simply fly down to Dallas this weekend and wait there instead of going home to Bonaire on Saturday and then flying back out on Monday.

So, I got to talking to the self-proclaimed "DFW Area PBD Therapy Coordinator", Greta Badstebner, and she suggested perhaps doing a BonaireTalk Dinner/Gathering over the long weekend (I realized belatedly that Monday was a holiday - Memorial Day).

Here's a condensed version of what she e-mailed out to the known Dallas-area BTers, and maybe there are some more of you out there now who Greta has not been in contact with who may be interested:

Hello DFW Area Bonaire Talkers!

THIS IS A LAST MINUTE NOTICE...

Just got word from Jake that he will be in Dallas this weekend. He will arrive Saturday afternoon. Would you all want to try and get together for a DFW/BT dinner while he is here? If so, please vote for your preferred date. We're open to doing dinner either Saturday, Sunday or Monday evening. I'll take the most popular date and send out an email with the plans.

So far, the weather forecast is calling for rain on Sunday...but you all know how that goes here in Texas! No matter what the weather forecasters say, we'll have to roll with the punches that Mother Nature throws our way.

I look forward to hearing from everyone real soon! I'll need to make a decision no later than Friday night or Saturday morning...I know, not much notice...

Thanks, and once again, I look forward to hearing from everyone!

Sincerely,

Greta Badstebner
Your DFW Area PBD Therapy Coordinator
972-317-3389
gbadsteb@yahoo.com

So, contact Greta if you're interested (or want to get on her Dallas/Ft. Worth BTer's mailing list for future such gatherings :-) )

I'd love to meet some more Dallas-area BTers myself, so I hope something could be worked out (plus, being particularly enamored of food, dinner, especially with old and new friends, is a joy :-) ).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greta Badstebner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #318) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 10:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake~ Thanks for posting this! We may have a volunteer to host the dinner at her house. Yeah!

Did you want to return home with some Texas items? Chips & salsa? Etc.? Let me know tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4879) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 11:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alas, my luggage is full (at least for chips). Salsa from Texas may fit though, but I'll need some Ziplocs :-)

See you tomorrow!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greta Badstebner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #320) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 11:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Salsa & ziplocs...gotcha covered! Good-night!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greta Badstebner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #333) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 7:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just to get this started.....

First, I'd like to thank Cheryl & Airey Baringer for helping me out by making reservations at a restaurant. Here are the details for those of you who would like to attend:

Update to the update.....

Due to unusual circumstances, Airey and I will not be able to host the BT Talkers dinner. We have worked with Greta to arrange an alternate location, at Mi Cocina on Dallas Parkway.

Bonaire Talkers Dinner
Monday, May 31 at 6:30 p.m.

Mi Cocina in Bent Tree
18352 Dallas Pkwy. #100
Dallas, TX 75287
Phone: 972-250-6426

Mi Cocina Website

They will seat us when our party is present. No separate checks and a 20% gratuity will be added to the check. This should be ok as it is how it’s usually done at Gibi’s.

We are looking forward to meeting you all!

Cheryl and Airey Baringer

Please, email the Baringers if you'd like to join us so we'll have an idea of how big of a table we'll need to set up.

I'm also looking forward to meeting everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greta Badstebner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #334) on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 7:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

message posted twice...I deleted this one

(Message edited by greta on May 30, 2004)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greta Badstebner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #335) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 3:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Saturday...Grant & I picked Jake up at the airport around 2 p.m. We were late! His scheduled arrival was 1:29 and he got in early. In fact, he called me on my cell while he was waiting for his luggage and I was still inside my house...but I WAS walking out the door. I felt sooo bad for being late. Luckily, Jake kept himself occupied with a book.

When we finally arrived at the airport and got Jake's luggage loaded in the car, he gave Grant a toy airplane. (Don't read this Bas!) It was all over after that! Jake made a friend for life!

So, we headed towards downtown where Jake's hotel was (about 30 minutes from the airport). I mentioned to him that Grant and I still had not eaten any lunch and that we would have to stop and pick up something. On the way, we passed a Whataburger on the service road, just off the freeway. Jake says, "Whataburger, I've never eaten there before." (At the time, I completely forgot about Bonaire's What-A-Burger.) Anyway, a couple of exits up the freeway, I decided that's where we would go eat lunch. So I exited, turned around and headed back to Whataburger.

After Whataburger, I took Jake to his hotel where he unloaded his luggage, got settled in and checked his email. Grant played with the laundry basket over his head while I checked out the weather to see if it would be okay to go to Joe T. Garcia's for dinner.

Then, off we go for another 45 minute ride north to my house. Before we got home though, we stopped at the grocery store so Jake could pick up some bottled water & salsa. However, we walked out with more than that!

Upon entering the store, he got to try a hot & fresh tortilla from the tortillaria located inside the grocery store. Yum-Yum! They even sprayed butter on it for him!

When we got to the Mexican food aisle, Jake was so impressed with our selection of salsas, that he could not believe his eyes! He picked one from the many choices and then we headed over to look for some cinnamon tea.

The tea aisle just happens to be directly across from the bakery/deli area. On the way up the aisle, looking for the tea, Jake makes a bee-line for the Krispy Kremes (pkgd. for in-store sale). For a second, I wondered why he wasn't looking for his tea, but when I figured out what he was eye-balling, I thought "Oh no, Linda's going to kill me for letting him see those!" I must say though, Jake initially picked up a 1/2 dozen box but put it back when he found a bag with only 2 doughnuts in it. He was so proud of his self-discipline! :-)

We found some teas and then headed over to the bakery so Grant could get his free cookie. While we were waiting on his free cookie, Jake discovered some sausage...picked up two pkgs to take home.

On the way to the checkstand, Jake picks up a DVD but ultimately puts it back. It was just funny to watch him go through the store like a kid in a candy store!

To be continued......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1834) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 7:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

:-)
Who needs an amusement park when you can just take him to the grocery store?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4895) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 10:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

And today Greta's taking me to Best Buy! Talk about a toy shop!!! :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1835) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does she need to give you a spending limit or hold your wallet for you? :-)

He who buys the most toys has to move them to the new house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Stoltzfus (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #230) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the morning chuckle!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan R. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #338) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 12:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I had lunch at Mi Cocina in Plano a couple of weeks ago and it was very good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1118) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 1:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I got a good sized laugh at that grocery store errand! Thanks Greta! I can just picture it!

Jake and Linda, don't forget that Bob and I will help you move and we'll be checking in to see what you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11210) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greta, Jake, Linda, I agree, thanks for the morning chuckle...I can picture Jake at the grocery store...eyes as big as quarters looking at all the salsas...then at the krispy kremes....hmmm...is Bas a chip off the old block?:-)

Best Buy...we NEVER get out of there with LESS than what we came in for! LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4896) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 4:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I managed to escape Best Buy with only three sets of cables, 3 XBOX games, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy in Widescreen on DVD. Mind you, I only went in to get two cables... AMEX loves me (and so does Best Buy).

Jake

PS Niki & Bob - looking forward to seeing you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greta Badstebner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #336) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 5:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

...And I bought only 2 reams of printer paper!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11216) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like Greta got out of there with a little less Jake...LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greta Badstebner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #337) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 5:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Cynde! We, too, will be moving soon and I don't need the extra stuff. I'm sure Linda feels the same way..."He who buys the most toys has to move them to the new house."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3579) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 5:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, you made me chuckle...it's sooo hard to go in and get exactly what you "need" and not walk out with any other extras....i.e. "what you want".....I know I can't do it!! LOL. If I go into Staples for one small item I always come out $300 lighter in the wallet no matter what! We are kids in a candy store when it comes to electronics. Sounds like you picked up some great stuff, tho. I know the kids and Linda will be awaiting with popcorn in hand to watch the Trilogy series. It coulda been worse......LOL!!! See you soon. Carole

PS I just called J & R in NYC and ordered the RoadStor for burning the digital photos onto CD's without the need for a computer....I did get off "easy" today as it was under my average $300 damage mark, tho. LOL. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greta Badstebner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #339) on Tuesday, June 1, 2004 - 1:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay…."To be continued”...from above.

After leaving the grocery store, I took Jake by our new house and left him there with my husband so he could take a look around. I had to get back home (to the old home) ASAP and put Grant down for a short nap, or else we would have been in trouble later that night. We also took care of some of Jake’s laundry, as he had not expected to be away from home for so long. This was around 5 p.m.

After nap & laundry, we headed out for Joe T. Garcia's in Ft. Worth (about another 45 minute drive)...albeit, a late start at around 8 p.m. When we arrived at Joe T.'s there was a waiting line of about an hour. For us locals, the line didn't look too bad, but for Jake, I didn't think he liked the looks of it. Joe T.'s doesn't take reservations and you can't put your name on a list. You have to wait in line. However, you can get drinks from the bar and bring them back while standing in line.

While we were in line, a white limousine pulled up and got in line behind us! The driver inched along with the ladies inside as the line moved up. There were 6 "grown-up" ladies in it having a night on the town! Some were from as far away as the South Padre Island area.

After the line got to the point where the limo could go no further, the ladies got out and stood in line...or TRIED to stand in line. They were a wee bit tipsy!

At one point while we were in line, one of the ladies asked another to show her where the restroom was. When those two left the line, the other four followed thinking they were getting a table before everyone else ahead of them in line. But a few minutes later, they were back laughing about how they all followed the "leader" to the restroom!

(I cannot wait to hear Jake's version of his evening out at Joe T.'s!)

Okay, for the boring stuff! We finally got seated, ordered drinks & food, took pictures, and enjoyed our Bonairean company! Here are some pics:

Jake

Grant

Greta, Grant, Jake, & Gary

Friends for Life

Beep-beep

After dinner, we drove back to Dallas (about another 45 minute drive) and dropped Jake off at his hotel. Then we (Gary, myself & Grant,) drove home and got there around 12:45 a.m. and went straight to bed.

What a long day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greta Badstebner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #341) on Tuesday, June 1, 2004 - 1:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sunday was uneventful. Jake worked from his hotel all day. He did manage to hook up with friends from Southlake for dinner though...Sonny Bryan's BBQ...YUM!

Gary, Grant & I went swimming in our new pool! Finally! It is a little salty tasting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen Kimmett (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5696) on Tuesday, June 1, 2004 - 6:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I enjoyed reading Greta! I love the photos! I am glad that it was such a great time, I am dreaming about your pool:-).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4902) on Tuesday, June 1, 2004 - 9:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not a whole lot to add - I did freak a bit when I heard the wait was an hour long. Had it been that long when I had Bas & Yana with me, we would have never survived. Fortunately, it turned out to be closer to about a 30 minute wait, highlighted by the entertainment provided by the limo ladies (one of whom I learned was from New Bedford, Mass.) and the fact that Grant was easily entertained by my occasionally flipping him upside down while I was holding him.

Food was reasonable, ambiance was great, and our waitress (or should I say "food service attendant?" - not sure what's more politically correct :-) ) Alicia was quite helpful, attentive, and not hard on my aging eyes either ;-)

Thanks Greta & Gary & Grant, again!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1402) on Tuesday, June 1, 2004 - 9:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

haaaaaaaaaa..Jake, our roving Bonaire Talk guru..haaa

GREAT pictures..

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration