BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: My first 4 days on Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2003-04-30 to 2004-02-25: My first 4 days on Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Pelgrim (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My first 4 days on Bonaire. Mon-Thu
This is not so much a trip report but more of an online diary. Hence I post it here instead of under the trip report forum. It’s written more for my own pleasure but I hope someone else may find it interesting as well.

Day one: monday.

Trip went 100% without incidents. After nearly 20 hours on the road, in the air and waiting on airports I arrive. Finally “home”! For the first time in 10 years. It’s been too long.

First mental note: buy lots of extra extra strong hairspray. Preferably the kind punkers use to make their mohawks. Else it’s going to be 21 bad hairdays.

It’s 19.30 hrs. At 20.00 hrs I’m all alone at the airport. Everybody left but my pick-up person did not arrive. I don’t have a clue which address I’ll be staying but in a moment of brightness I did write down the persons phonenumber before I left home. Yippeee. So the bags and I move to the nearest phone. Creditcards accepted, international calls only. No help there. Next phone. Nafl quarters only. Yah… but I just arrived and Nafl quarters are hard to come by abroad. I check the money return box. Should I be so lucky…. Ofcourse not.

So I’m just to embark on a new carreer as begger, hoping I won’t get arrested within 30 minutes after arriving when finally my pick up arrives. I’m in holiday heaven!

He shows me my rental car, gives me the keys and tells me to follow him. Always an adventure driving a unknown car in the dark (in pouring rain) in unknown territory. J

By the time we arrive at our destination I’m absolutely clueless as to where I am. Bonaire is the closest guess I can make.

He gives me a few quick instructions on how to operate the airco and tele and then I’m alone. Vacation at last!

Now I encounter a small problem. The fridge is empty ofcourse but I’m hungry and thirsty. Because I do not know where I am and it is dark outside leaving the house and driving around in the dark to find a bar or restaurant does not seem like such a good idea. If I drive long enough I’ll certainly find something but how on earth do I find this place back again??

I’ll bite the bullet, drink some water and go to bed. I’m dead tired anyway. First I’ll have to read my emails (all 210 of them) the poured into the mailbox since I left home earlier today. Thankfully Michael Gaynors login id works.

I go to bed and pass out. I’ll probably sleep for the next 24 hrs.

Day two: tuesday.

2 AM and I’m wide awake again. Darn time difference. My mind wants to sleep but my body thinks it’s 8 am. This is gonna be a looong night. Remember.. still nothing to eat or drink. I spend the larger part of the night sitting on my rooftop terrace and wandering around the area a little to get a sense of directions.

Around 6 am I go to the chat’n browse to see if Michael is around so I can pay him for the internet connection I’m using. Obviously he’s not there at this hour. Well… he could have been there, right???

8 AM. Stores open and I make my first major investment in the local economy. Amazing what food and drink can do to improve your mood.

My laptop seems to have contracted a virus. It’s a key-logger so I’ll have to fix it before I can give customer support and log into any crucial areas. Dang, dang, dang. It’s a new virus and there is very little information known about it on the internet. It also shuts my pc down every 2 minutes which does not really help. All in all it’s nearly 4 pm before I’m done.

I do take the time to visit Michael again so I can pay him for the internet connection. He’s in! Conveniently I did not bring any money though… (sigh). Sometimes I’m not the smartest thing walking on two legs.

5 PM. I’ld like to take a look at the town this evening. Before I do so I first lay myself to rest on the bed. I feel a bit tired. Big mistake, HUGE mistake. When I wake up again it’s:

Day three: wednesday

And yes… it’s 2 AM again. AaaAaaRgghhh. Spending more time on my rooftop terrace. Good thing I brought a lot of books with me J

Today I’m going to do stuff. Don’t exactly know what.. just STUFF. Vacation kinda stuff.

So at 7 am I decide that since it’s my third day on the island it’s about time I get into the water. I’m thinking… pink beach? I remember it from 10 yrs ago. So off I go. Driving from Kralendijk to.. Lagoen Hill? Wrong turn I guess. Back to Kralendijk. Ending up in the morning traffic jam. Finally I’m on the right road to… Lac Bay? No good. Back to Kralendijk I go. There are not that many roads on the island. Surely ONE of them must lead to pink beach?

All this driving teaches me several things about my rental car.

It has a drinking problem.

I don’t think the exhaust pipe has any real function as I’m fairly certain all exhaust fumes are pumped straight into the car.

When I take my foot of the gas the engine stops.

There are so many holes rusted into the floor that it looks like a fishnet stocking. Oh well, at least it gives me a great few of the asfalt as I drive over it.

And at $25 a day… who can complain?

I certainly can’t. And it’s full speed ahead. Straight past pink beach. My first clue is when I see Willemstoren lighthouse not too far in the distance. Oh well, Willemstoren it is then. I remember the absolutely fabulous views you have from the top of the tower.

And memories are all that remain because the tower is bolted and locked tight. Dang, when did this happen?
Strolling around the tower looking for a way in I discover an important fact of life. Shoes float on water! And apparently they all wash ashore at Willemstoren Lighthouse.

A new saying is born. Give a poor man shoes and he can walk till they’re worn out. Relocate a poor man to Bonaire and he’ll never have to worry about shoes again.

I turn around and head back to pink beach. There it is! Dang, how could I ever have missed it?

I take a quick dip. Should have brought some of those shoes because I failed to bring my own watershoes. OUCH! Those limestone rocks are not comfortable to walk on. I’m no fakir. After 10 minutes I’ve lost enough blood so I decide to call it a day as far as swimming is concerned. Mental note: put shoes in car.

Michaels’place again. This time he’s open, he’s in and I have money. All the ingredients for a successful transaction. Glad that’s finally taken care of.

Next… fuel for the car again. I swear, this thing needs to check in with the AA.

I spend the rest of the day driving the old coastal road towards Karpata. Passing several diving spots and a couple of beaches. Always divers at those beaches though. I’m an odd person. I don’t mind if there is a great white swimming in the water below me (don’t take me too litteraly on that) but I find it an akward idea that there are people diving below me as I take a swim. I know, I know… I’m a difficult person.

Driving back to Kralendijk I discover there are two kinds of people on the roads. Tourists who take their time and enjoy the views and surroundings (me) and people who live on Bonaire and just want to drive home as quickly as possible. (locals). Them two don’t always mix.
I don’t feel at all comfortable driving with 30 kph, one hand hanging out the window while there is an increasing long line of cars behind me. So… I soon find myself roaring along with 90 kph trying to stay ahead of everybody. Mental note: check health insurance and upgrade if needed.

This evening I’m awake for the first time and it’s time to check out what happens after the sun sets. I install myself at KFC ordering hot spicy chicken wings, fries and cola.
Turns out the wings are actually real wings of chickens!. What the…? Yuch! Who would eat such a thing? I thought chickenwings would be things made out of chicken. Never in my life would I have thought they were actually… well… chickenwings.

Exit the chickenwings. In the sushi bin they go. It does create another small dilemma first. Stray dogs walking around the restaurants. They look like they have anorexia. I feel really bad to be throwing 9 perfectly good chickenwings away while they’re standing next to me almost starving. (Sigh) I know feeding them is a bad BAD idea as they’ll get encouraged and become more pushy around the restaurants if they’re fed. Still it does leave me with somewhat of a bad feeling for the rest of the evening.

I wonder up and down the harbour side for a while then decide to go home and call it a day. There just isn’t much fun in being on vacation alone during the evening. Gotta see if I can meet some people soon.

Day 4: thursday

Ok, whatever happens I just HAVE to swim today. It’s about time.

Day starts of very well because I wake up at (gasp) 6 am. Wahooo! I’m getting there,

I’ll go to Washington Park today and see if I can get a few hours quality swimming time at Slagbaai.

First memorable item of the day comes when the road decends steeply towards Rincon. I let go of the gas but the car still speeds up to 60,70,80…. I decide that’s enough and apply pressure to the breaks. Panic. NO BREAKS!
It’s only a split second before I realize I do have breaks but they’re just not reacting to me pushing down the paddle because… the engine stopped again. …because I didn’t give throttle while going down hill. I guess I need three feet when going downhill. One for the clutch, one for the breaks and one for giving throttle so the engine doesn’t quit on me.
I’ll contemplate on the idea for a while. For now I’ll just put my car on the side of the road until my heart stops pounding.

Washington park. They guy at the entrance gives me… a leaflet? 10 years ago they gave you a book with 50 pages of descriptions. Now I get a leaflet. Luckily I brought my old book with me J The leaflet hardly contains any information at all.

My plan is to first drive the long route, then go back to the foot of the Brandaris and climb it. Then cool off at Slagbaai.

Because I like to soak up the atmosphere and take my time it’s nearly noon when I’m still at sightseeing point #4 out of about 26. I’ll have to skip the rest and head for Brandaris first since the ranger warned me I should not start climbing after 13.30.

Arriving at 13.00 hrs and starting to climb. 13.30: why did I do this again?
Great views. But it’s no “walk in the (Washington) park”
It’s a real climb. Steep to. Did I mention I have vertigo? Don’t look back… Don’t look back… Don’t look back… Oh damn, I looked.

Definatly not for the faint hearted. Also not for those with a heart condition. It’s hot and my heart is working overtime.
The end result is worth it though. Absolutly breathtaking views. Look, there is Slagbaai! God, that water looks heavenly right about now. But… first I need to climb down again. Up is bad, down is hell. Walking on rubble means you have to be very carefull where you put your feet.

When I’m finally down I’m very near death (in my mind anyway). If this is only 300 meters then I ain’t ever gonna climb the Himalayas.

When I arrive at my car I notice there is a note on my chair. From the park ranger. Return to start. Do not pass Slagbaai.
WHAT!?!?? I’m hot, I’m tired and I seriously need to dive into some blue water.
Apparantly it is already too late. If I continue the route I won’t make it back before the park closes. I’m not amused ):

Well before I reach the exit it starts to rain. At least I got wet today.

All in all a productive day. I’m starting to get used to the car. I think I’ll convert my car at home to also inject all the fumes into the car instead of through the exhaust pipe.

The rain amazes me. It hardly rains much. But if you see the water on the roads it looks like it rained for days. There are HUGE puddles. It’s just water but the roads all across the island show signs of the desctructive force this water has on the asfalt (not to mention the impact it has on the roads in Washington Park.)

It seems to just wash the soil away from under the roads. Kralendijk also seems to have a drainage problem. I guess when it doesn’t rain that often it doesn’t really pay off to put drainage in place.

Nighttime again. After buying an icecream and wondering up and down the harbour road for a while I decide upon a restaurant opposite of Karels’Bar. God knows what it’s named. I ordered a rib-eye (almost expecting to receive a rib with an eye in it given my previous experiences with the chickenwings) which actually wasn’t that bad.

Once again though the drawbacks of being on vacation alone surface. After ordering it takes a while before the food arrives. Normally you use this time to set and talk a little, enjoying the surroundings and atmosphere.

When you sit alone you twiddle your thumbs and hope the food arrives soon.
Must really work on meeting some people or this is going to be a long 21 evenings.

Stay tuned for day 5: friday when we buy more fuel for the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kay Powers (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #765) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like you need to stay a few weeks! Can't wait until June when I return. Have a great time...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3164) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fascinating story so far, Martin! You're getting the hang of it now...keep on truckin' and get into that water or you will kick yourself silly when you leave!!! Can't wait for more updates. Have fun...go to Gibi's on Tuesday nite and meet some other folks from BT. If not there, just get on out and meet a few folks so you are not totally isolated. It's good to have "space" (and I can relate to that!) but 21 days of talking to oneself can become quite "interesting" if you know what I mean! LOL. Get wet!!! Ayo. Carole

PS Please say "hey" to Michael Gaynor for me, OK? He's a great guy and a sweetheart. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1205) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 1:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

chicken wings? sure they weren't iguana legs?

yeah, bonaire has a "face" only a mother could love...lot's of us mothers out here :-)

great story!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karin van Veen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #894) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 6:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

loved reading your diary, Martin! keep us informed about your adventures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen Kimmett (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4516) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 6:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I loved reading your dairy! Can't wait to read more!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #984) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 10:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nice journal Martin. I agree with Carole to get in the water as soon as you can! I also think Gibi's is a great way to meet some more BTers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Belinda Z (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin,

I have very much enjoyed your journal thus far and am anxiously awaiting the next installment.

We arrive late Sunday night and would love to have your company for dinner while we are there.

We are staying at Crown Court 44A - there is no phone but if you can find it and stop by any morning before 8:30 we can meet and set up some plans.

We are snorkelers and you would be more than welcome to accompany us on some excursions. We have plans to do a guided snorkel with Renee on Tuesday morning if you are interested in that.

Belinda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Pelgrim (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 7:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all. Took your advice and finally had a few hours off today to go swimming. Pink beach again just to prove to myself I *CAN* find it. :-)

Belinda: would love to. Looking forward to it!

Also went swimming in the pouring rain at the end of the day at Bachelors beach. Swimming in the rain. It's a unique experience.

No wonder locals sometimes think tourists are mad :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10536) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 7:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin, have enjoyed reading about your adventures...diving in the rain is even cooler...you look up and can see it hitting the surface and it is just magical...hey, you're wet anyway, so what does it matter?

Go to the Gibis meet on Tuesday night. It's at 6:30 and you will hook up with some nice BT folks:-) Looking forward to more of your adventures:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #357) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please continue your well written and lighthearted journal of Bonaire ...have fun !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helen Benko (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 5:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, Martin, how goes it? It's the 21st. I'm hooked!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Pelgrim (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 11:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, there is not much to say for day 5 and 6 because basically… I didn’t do anything but hang around and enjoy being here.

On the morning of the fifth, de morning after I posted the report of the first 4 days I immediately received a visit from two gentlemen who are the caretakers for this house and the car I rented. Seems the foreign owner had read my diary and was not at all pleased with it. I should have called them if I had a problem I was told.

Unfortunatly I was not aware that I had a problem hence.. I did not call. The car has some problems but that doesn’t automatically mean I have a problem with the car. Had I had problems I would have phoned an cancelled the rental contract and tried to get another car from Budget or AB.

Nevertheless it ticked me off to no end and pretty much ruined day five
The men who look after these houses are top quality though. They come and check once every two days to see if everything is OK and we need anything. They certainly deserve a raise for their care.

When I walked passed the KFC later that day I was spotted and the entire KFC staff chased me all the way to Fort Orange before they gave up pursuit. All the time they threw hot spicy chicken wings to my head. Apparantly they were also very angry about what I wrote.

Ok, so THAT did not actually happen but it would have made a great story wouldn’t it? :-)

I’m not sure why people would complain about such trivial things. I know they do though. Why would you want a perfect vacation? If it’s perfect then what is there to share and remember? You know, the small things that happen which you find hilarious but when you come home and tell other people they look at you and say “so..?” while at the same time you are again almost in tears of laughter just thinking about it.

This car is part of this vacation just like baked beans and bike tyres were part of my last Bonaire vacation. I’ll spare you the stories because well… for you they’re not funny.
I had totally forgotten about the baked beans until I saw them on day 3 in the cultimare. That brought back such powerful memories that I stood there lauging by the beans for a while. Hey, it’s my privilage to act weird. I’m a tourist.

Getting stuck in the sand at Slagbaai, getting a flat tire in the pouring rain at 3am in the middle of Bolivia (= middle of nowhere), running out of gas in the Middle of Washington park, decending from mount Brandaris and when you’re halfway down you remember your car keys are still on the top… all these things can be priceless memories. Things you can never capture on tape or photo and can never explain to the people who weren’t there yet can be extremely funny and will always be remembered when you think about that particular vacation.

*note: all besides one of the above events actually happened to me on previous trips. I seem to attract these things.

Anyhow… back to day 5. By around 2pm I was starting to get less angry and I took your advice and went to swim. As you already know to pink beach and then to Bachelors beach. Once again this showed me my knowledge of Bonaire is outdated. Last time I was here Pink beach was the main beach on the island that did not belong to a hotel. It was always packed with people. Now there was hardly anybody. One man taking his two dogs for a swim and two or three tourists.

On the way back I think I found out why. There was a new beach closer to the airport. Quite long and near the hotels. This one WAS busy. It wasn’t there 10 years ago though.

I also passed by the house I rented then. It wasn’t there anymore. Some other building was in it’s place. It’s a shame. ‘t Was a nice location. Ocean front with a private beach. In the morning you could walk straight out of the bedroom onto your beach and then into the ocean. During nightfall I used to barbeque on the beach and you’ld have a perfect view over the harbour and klein Bonaire.

10 Years ago it was pretty cheap. I don’t think property like that falls into my price range anymore.

Real estate on the island does have me clueless anyway. They’re building everywhere. And if they’re not building there are Lots for sale. Lots of Lots for sale. They’re now even selling Lots in Bolivia. And at the same time you see houses for sale all over the island.

Why build more houses if there are so many for sale? Why ARE they for sale? Did people buy them and now realize they don’t want to live on Bonaire? Did they pass away and now their heirs sell the houses? Or do they just have a shortage of cash to pay their bills?

I think I’ll spend a day driving around the island visiting some houses that are for sale. I’ll look up some nice locations for sale on the websites, make a list and go take a look. Just for fun because I do not have enough money to even concider buying a house here but it’ll probably take me to some places you normally do not come as a tourist. On any other island going to places where you normaly do not come as a tourist is considered a bad idea. Not on Bonaire. Another reason to love this place. And who knows. Maybe I find my dreamhouse and I’ll have something to save upfor during the next 20 years.

Not much happened during the evening. Discovered I do not like Pistachio icecream as much as I thought to remember.

During the evening it was mosquito mania. You probably know this scenario. You are in bed, it’s dark and then you hear this high pitched..”bzzzzz “ And then it stops. You know it’s sitting somewhere on you and you move around a little to make it fly up again. Which it does. But then you here this bzzz again close to your ear and it stops again. Now you KNOW you’re gonna be covered in itching bumps is you don’t do something about it so… lights on and get that mosquito.

Yah… right ):

Where do mosquitos go when the lights go on? I certainly don’t know. You can search high and low, listen for that well known bzzzzz but…. Nothing. It’s gone.

You turn out the lights and go back to bed.

“bzzzzzzzz” (insert ugly word here)

After repeating the “lights on“ procedure 3 times and never finding anything I turned the lights off, heard the bzzzzz again bit my teeth firmly together and told myself to NOT get up, NOT move around just let it suck my blood and we’ll see about the damage in the morning. Damn, that takes a lot of willpower.

And that takes us to day six (saturday = today)

I can be short about this one (no really, this time I can).

I stayed home all day just relaxing. Eating, reading a book, watching a very geen palmtree move in the wind with a very blue sky in the background just enjoying the fact that I’m actually on Bonaire. You can drive around all you want, dive at all the diving places, eat in all the best restaurants but your vacation is still a waste if you do not take the time to stand still, look around and realize “Oh my god, I am actually HERE!” And just enjoy that simple fact.

Went out and had dinner at Zeezicht (opposite of Karels bar). Rib eye again. Well, I don’t eat fish so that somewhat limits my possibilities on Bonaire.

Also I noticed a car on the parking lot with the text “Monique Reekers” printed on it. I knew a Monique Reekers once. Small girl, probably in her early thirties now. Would be just something for her to end up here. Anybody know this Monique? If it’s the same one then this is indeed a small world. (it’s a small world copyrighted by the Disney Corporation. No part of it’s a small world may be reproduced without their written permission).

Tomorrow is Carnival. I’ll go dressed as a tourist. Large T-shirt, shorts that do not match, legs that are too white and a forehead that is red like raw meat, casual shoes, sunglasses and a video camera in my hand.

Oh, also received new neighbours today. New arrivals. You can tell by the way they drive the wrong way in a one way street. I can’t say much though. It took me nearly 48 hours before I figured out that this street is a circle and I do not have to spend 10 minutes trying to turn my car and drive back the way I came…

They went to bed not long after they arrived. Around 6pm I think. Which means they’ll be awake around two-ish *grin*
I’m happy to report that I’m now 100% living in Bonaire time as you can no doubt tell by the time this is posted.

If you see me drive by wave to me. I drive a Jeep. Can't miss it. Just wave to every Jeep and you'll probably be waving at me at some time.

And if not... well all that waving will get you a lot of new friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1421) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 12:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK Martin, some little free advice for you, guaranteed to be worth what you paid for it:

1) Close up your rooms a half hour before sundown, use screens if you have them, turn on the AC in your bedroom and close the door. I actually keep the bedroom door closed up all the time and start to ac it in the late afternoon on a very low cool setting.
2) Go the the Chinese store and buy an electric squash racquet to zap the skeeters. You want one of these, believe mne, you'll be bringing it home if you have skeeters at home. I'm gonna get another one for upstairs when I get there.
3) Get a sage healing. It sounds like your karma ran over your dogma.

You coming to Gibis Tuesday?
Seb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4770) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 12:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear about your visit. There are some uptight property owners (mostly living abroad instead of on Bonaire for some reason) who "don't get" BonaireTalk and feel threatened by anything posted here, even if it does not mention them or even reference their property.

Onto more pleasant things - Monique Reekers is in her late 30s and moved here from Holland about 18 months ago. She's presently a school teacher. I recall she taught and also ran a landscaping business in Holland. Could she be the same person you're thinking of? If so, it certainly would be a small world! (Monique was our neighbor for a while.)

I like your story about the keys and Brandaris :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3172) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 2:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Feel like we are "living" your vacation with you, Martin! You DO have a way with words...simply love the stories and prose. Can't wait for the next installment. Are you certain your name is not Fancypants or Sir Fancypants or Andy???? LOL!!! CArole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3080) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 7:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole, I don't think so. Martin's style is a bit different from good old Andy... (where is he by the way???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Pelgrim (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 8:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, a few lonely goats learned a lot of new ugly words that day.

The Monique I knew also came from Holland but the rest of the information you provided does not quite match I think. Pitty. It would have been a nice coincidence.

Carole, you can call me whatever you want. Mr fancypants will do fine but I'm afraid I did not bring the pants to match the name ):

Where is this Gibi's place? I've been keeping an eye out for a sign (that being a sign on a restaurant, not a heavenly sign) but although I've traveled up and down, left and right of the island up to the extend that I can find my way blindfolded I've seen nothing Gibi like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3082) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 8:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin, Drive in the road nest to Liza Gas Station on the road to the airport. On your right hand site you'll see the Warehouse (a big supermarket), follow the road until you come to an intersection. Go straight ahead and the building on your left has a sign something terrace. This is Gibi's. Across the street is a chinese food shop. There is a sign (size approx. A4) with the BT logo and the time and day BT will have it's dinner.

I hope you are able to join the dinner, it's always a lot of fun!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4524) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 8:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin I have also enjoyed your saga...These are the directions I have or Gibi's.. Try the goat stew it is Wonderful!!!

Gibi's: go straight east from Divi on Kaya Industria, keep going east past the intersection at Lisa Gas until you cross NikiBoko ; on your right is a Chinese place{China Noba} and on your left (just past a small vacant lot) is Gibi's.
Hope this helps..6:30 Tuesday evenings all the BTers on Island try to meet.. I'm sure Seb and Mary will be there this Tuesday..Check out profile pictures and check the on island chart to see who is there. here is the list click here

(Message edited by scubahb on February 22, 2004)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10550) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin, thank you for giving me a morning giggle. I agree with Carole, you do have a way with words and they are a pleasure to read...I do feel as though I'm sitting on a hammock watching a green palm tree with blue sky all around as well:-)

Take Seb's advice and get the tennis racquet bug zapper thingie...just make sure you don't touch it whilst you have the button pushed...ouch...still have the burn mark...

So, have you seen any FISH (in the water)?

I'm not a big fish eater either (you would think so as I live on the Coast) but there are a lot of places that make a killer filet minon! Try Casablancas (just up from Divi's toward town...I don't know East from West on the island Fredster...LOL)...you will get a PLATTER of food and Inez the woman who is part owner is a doll:-) Looking forward to day 6:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Pelgrim (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 1:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cynde,

One of the movies I made today and is on my laptop is of a green palm tree swinging against a clear blue skye (well as blue as it is today anyway). Tried to upload it for you but it's just too large for the 2k/sec dialup connection.

I'll drop by the chatnbrowse later this week to test their upload speed and get some of the movies and pictures up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3178) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, Martin! If you can find a way for all of us to enjoy your video it would be great! I take the same kind of footage....just set up the tripod and let the camera roll....love it! Love the "driving" films, too. My husband is my pilot and I am shooting the film as we cruise. Set up the tripod in San Francisco from the balcony on the top floor at a hotel overlooking the Bay and shot the sunset with Alcatraz, Coit Tower and all the rest in the shot, too. I love to do that. I can pop it in and view it on the large tv screen while I am busy doing something else at the same time......just look up and there it is...whatever I want to watch. Most folks think I am nuts and wasting film....not how I see it at all. I'm with you! I tend to stare at the palm trees, the water, the clouds, the birds, the clouds and the all of the rest and shoot pics at the same time, too. Love it. Wish I could be there right now!! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Pelgrim (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

These avi files are awfully big. About 1 MB per 3 seconds. No problem on my cable modem but here I'm somewhat limited. At home I could also compress them into a .swf but... alas. Oh the agony of travel.:-)

Here is a small snippet of film from todays carnival parade. It's "just" 3 MB. Don't try to view it on a dial up kids. It's about 10 seconds long.

http://pelgrim.nu/bon2004/Afbeelding%20036.avi

Carol, film is cheap. Memories are priceless!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3180) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 8:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Martin...got right into the groove with everyone just watching them from my PC! Whose feet??? LOL! Thanks a bunch. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #359) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 11:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Martin...felt like we were right there @ Carnival ! missed it this year, but recognize the spot from where you shot the video, I think thats where we stood last year..hope you had fun watching all the floats and dancers ! did you taste some of the street food ? have you been to Rincon yet ? that is where you can taste iguanna soup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1046) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 4:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin P. I do enjoy your diary! Keep it coming. The Carnival glimpse was fun, but I really have a hankering for a short movie of a palm or other bonairean plant tossing in the wind against a rushing sky.

Just got home from a trip and went to Disneyland for the first time ever. It's a Small World too. Got the tune stuck in my head, but I'm listening to some songs in my car over and over to dislodge Disney from there.

Uh oh client just returned back to work... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10567) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 4:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Niki..."Hi Ho Hi Ho:-)"

Martin, loved the video! I'm with Niki, we want to see the palm tree!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Pelgrim (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 9:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Nikki, that ride never seemed to end! It was fun at first but that song quickly starts annoy. And when you think the ride is over.. wrong! You round another bend and there are these Hawaian houla girls singing "it's a small world" then you go around another bend and there are these Russian kids singing "it's a small world" and then you go round another bend and..

I swear.. if there is a hell it's probably a replica of that it's a small world ride in Disneyland and there just is no exit. :-)

Ooooh Ok. Palmtree it is. But you'll have to wait till morning because it's dark now. I'll make a short 10 second movie. Just put it on continuous repeat :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Pelgrim (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As ordered: one palmtree
http://pelgrim.nu/bon2004/PIC00058.AVI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1047) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 1:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

NICE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10575) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 2:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin, that certainly didn't help my PBD at ALL! Most excellent with the blue sky in the background!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karin van Veen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #934) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 5:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thank you Martin!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diana van den Wollenberg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1826) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 6:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin, I really couldn't stop laughing, reading your adventures. You really are good with words.
I was planning to go to bed a half hour ago, but got stuck with your story. Can't wait till the sequel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michelle Mouton (BonaireTalker - Post #83) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 7:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm enjoying this thread myself. Martin you should be a professional writer! Your musings and way with words - quite good! I'm so happy we decided to go in April - I don't have that much longer to wait!
Michelle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3184) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 12:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you sooo much, Martin! We had a dreary, light snowy day all day today so your palm tree was just what the doctor ordered! We're ready for more if you have the time, but I think you will be very busy now until departure time soaking in (no pun intended) everything there is to see and do...and by being in the water a lot, too! Masha Danki! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dawn Spencer (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Monday, March 1, 2004 - 12:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Martin, we met at Gibi's last Tuesday night. Enjoyed your company and have now returned home(got in at 2 AM this morning) and we miss Bonaire already. Will write again soon after we catch up on our mail and bills.
Best regards,
Dawn & Scott Spencer

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration