BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Phone rates
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 2003-04-30 to 2004-02-25: Phone rates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick hall (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

what is the best / least expensive way to call from bonaire to the states? can anyone suggest a prepaid calling card? what do the locals do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greta Badstebner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #268) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 2:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick,

Pay a visit to Michael Gaynor at the Chat-N-Browse located right in front of the Sand Dollar. He will set you up! You can also visit his website at CLICK HERE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick, Just a bit of caution. I know a couple from Britain who were in Bonaire in January/03. They used one of the International Credit Card Phones that are around Bonaire. They used it 4 times to call the UK and Germany for very short calls and when they got home found each call has cost them 39 USD. They were NOT happy! They had also brought a telephone card from Telbo (the local company) for 10 USD and used they phone booths in town to call UK/Germany and got about 12 minutes of calls out of it. They loved Bonaire and will be back despite this problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nadine Rubin (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, no matter how you slice it, it is not cheap to call the states. Our wonderful piece of paradise is not quite up to par with the rest of the Caribbean. Suggest you use e-mail at any one of the many internet places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4464) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 9:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's cheaper to call the U.S. then call a cell phone on Bonaire from Bonaire, though. NAFl 0.61/min for U.S. vs. 0.85 and up for calling a cell phone...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 2:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yiks!!! I'll never complain about rates again. We used e-mail to contact home and that was quite reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1208) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 5:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's true, I call Mom in Cape Cod and it's cheaper than if I call a cell phone here..Why, who the heck knows..I go thru cell cards like water here..it's STUPID. If I conduct some business, call a friend here and there and order a pizza or make a dinner res I can easily go thru 25,00 NAF a DAY! I kid u not.

:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Keeton (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rick, We were just on Bonaire and made several calls to the States. We were pleasantly surprised to discover what a small number of units those calls took off our prepaid phone card (which we purchased on Bonaire). See our trip report for more details and prices ("How to Describe It??--Aug. 16-30")

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration