BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Everything Else Bonaire: Bringing food and things stolen out of cars
Bonaire Talk: Everything Else Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999 - 2004: Archives - 1999-05-27 to 2000-07-25: Bringing food and things stolen out of cars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elizabeth Seaman on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 12:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm arriving mid October and am wondering about bringing food. I can probably fit quite a bit of food into my luggage. Is it worth it? Obviously perishables are out (no ice cream!), but what types of items would be good to bring?

Also, I've read all of the don't-leave-anything-in-the-car advice, but I'm wondering if I can leave a towel while I'm snorkeling. Water is ok, right? a bag of crackers? (tucked where donkeys can't get it!) If I can't leave a towel, what do I do post-snorkeling? And what do I do with my glasses! I really can't risk having them stolen (although I don't know what anyone else would do with them), and I'm not sure what else to do with them when I'm snorkeling or swimming!

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 3:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good food to bring down is prepackaged munchies. Chips, crackers, nuts can be expensive here. Munchies are the one I crave after a day of diving. Also anything special you really like: chocolate, special coffee, etc. We have most of the basic items and some very good brands both European and USA. We lack variety and certain items like Cheerios (twice in 2 years). So if you must have a certain brand or flavor bring it with you. (And bring along ziploc bags to protect everything from ants)

Although it has happened, usually a generic towel, t-shirt and shorts are safe in the car. If your glasses are obviously prescription, I wouldn't worry about them. As you said, who could use them?
But if you are still nervous, there was a company that made little underwater "fanny packs" that came with a set of superthick ziploc inserts that should work for your glasses. Maybe Performance Diver still sells them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Basically food is not that much more expensive than in one of the conveniece stores at home (7-11, etc.) As Linda said, it is the stuff you cannot get here that you should bring, although I must report, the bakery at Cutltimara now makes some passable bagels!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 8:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please, don't anyone take this the wrong way, but why is everyone so worried about leaving things in their cars? You shouldn't leave things of value in a car anywhere so why does everyone freak out so much? The underwater fanny packs work well, check the internet if you can't find one where you live.

Next time we get to Bonaire I will be sure to check with Michael and Linda to make sure I do a Cheerio/bagel/sunday paper run!! It's the NY Times right Michael?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elizabeth Seaman on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 10:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kim,

I'm not taking it the wrong way. I'll be a first-time visitor, and I'm not freaked out--just curious about how to organize my trip if I can't leave even a towel in a car! I certainly wouldn't leave a CD player or anything like that, but it would be handy to have a towel and some snacks. I suppose the plan should be to bring a towel you can stand to lose. Hotels probably get pretty irritable if you lose theirs!

thanks for the advice, everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elizabeth Seaman on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda and Michael,

I'd be happy to bring things like Cheerios if you'd like! Send me an email if you'd like to make a request:

easeaman@seagrant.wisc.edu

Elizabeth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James E. Thomas on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 1:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wouldn't worry to much about towels and etc, we have never had a towel, tee shirt or small items messed with. I left a snorkel in my mesh bag last year hoping someone would take it, didn't happen.
I can stand to loose a few small items but don't mess with my food, have never had lunch taken.(G)

James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Elizabeth - glad you didn't take it wrong way, it sure did come out wrong. I'd just been reading posts from awhile ago and people were very worried about crime and we all know it's everywhere. You will fall in love with Bonaire, it is unbelieveably beautiful and the people are the friendliest -- where are you staying? E-mail me direct if you want to chat -- I can give you some great restaurant recommendations. e-mail :
cleo4310@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Vause on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 6:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Elizabeth:
My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Bonaire a couple of days ago. We stayed at the Lions Dive Hotel and I really enjoyed having the kitchenette facilities. Based on advice from similar postings, I had taken a few supplies, but regret not taking more! If you plan to eat in at all while you're there, think of the little things you most enjoy (ie spices, favorite candle holder, etc) and be sure to take them along. Cultimara supermarket is very quaint, but don't expect it to be as well-stocked as the grocery stores you are most likely accustomed to - particularly fresh produce (it was very poor quality the times we went).

With respect to the "crime": it would have never occurred to us to worry about it until the car rental rep specifically told us to "put the Club on, and just leave the car unlocked/open - if they break the windows, you'll be responsible for it". Unfortunately, her comments made us somewhat paranoid from that point forward... (might this help explain some of the reactions from readers/writers?) Just use common sense and you should be fine.

One tip I followed (but apparently not closely enough) was to bring insect repellant. I'm not usually bothered too much by mosquitoes or other flying pests, but I got 32 bites that first night... and another 45 the second!!! Needless to say, I was taking antihistamines the rest of the trip. My "expert" advice: take the most powerful bug spray you can find and use it daily starting just before sunset.

Hope you have a great trip!!
denise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

About someones concerns about their
eyeglasses being stolen.
I had lost my glasses one night "stargazzing" on Pink Beach and thought I would have to spend the rest o my vacation in a haze
Found them on the beach, on a bunch of coral someone stacked up so no one would step on them
Never did get to thank whoever did this!
But this is the one of the kind of things that happens, not so much of the crime sort, just be reasonable with your valueables, I really doubt they want your towels or persp. sunglasses. Stop worrying, You'll Love Bonaire! Enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Goodenough on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 2:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

> Found them on the beach, on a bunch of coral. Someone stacked up so no one would step on them.

Great story!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 8:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You might want to bring along "dip" mixes if into snacks.like onion soup mix or things like that. Light enough to through in your bags in a zip lock bag,which are always useful for other things too. I'm sure there is an equivelent of sorts, but alot of the things like that are in "dutch" , I go by the pictures , its interesting to translate groceris.I also bring along heavy plastic glasses like I use around the pool. They hold down in the wind on the beach(not a real problem at all), recycable,and don't break. Just a little convience. you can get alot of
things in the cultimare or a few others stores around . Try the Gouda cheese . You will, they make pizza in town with. not brooklyn but not bad. You can brig home wheels of it. You can get it at the airport or in town 22lbs.or in pieces The trouble with that is dragging it through the airprts, if you bring a cooler with you , its handy to have around, you can put the cheese in it on the way back it is not illegal to do so. Have a great trip!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Hiatt on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 9:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The cooler is a great idea. Our Playmate cooler probably has 100,000 miles on it, not to mention sand from Cozumel, Caymans, Bonaire, etc. Its a great airplane carry-on for camera,masks and dive computers. And obviously functional upon arrival!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration