BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Accommodations: Best resort in Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Accommodations: Best resort in Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tobi Fess (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 10:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been viewing this site for a while and know there are many great options for accommodations in Bonaire. I would like to hear your opinions on what hotel would most closely tailor to the following preferences:
1 - great house reef, convenient for night dives
2 - convenient equipment storage
3 - nice, clean and quiet rooms (don't need to be fancy...just clean)
4 - air conditioning....my husband can't stand heat

My husband and I are visiting Bonaire for the first time. It seems Buddy Dive wins all around.....they quoted a hotel rate and an apartment rate. I am tempted by the lower rate, but I saw a few bad reviews on the hotel room. I would appreciate any advice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3496) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 6:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tobi..Asking that question would be analogous to asking what's the best restaurant on Bonaire. EVERYONE has different opinions and experiences.

As in restaurants, Bonaire has Hotels & accommodations to satisfy a wide multitude from the very economical to the luxurious. Each place has carved out their own niche & have their own following.
However using the criteria you have set forth in your posting I'd recommend Carib Inn or Belmar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1300) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 7:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tobi, your list matches ours exactly. Husb keeps the room soo cold, I can't go in directly after a dive!

We always go to Buddys, and take the drive'n dive pkg, even without using the vehicle. Wouldn't recommend the hotel room. Their house dive is among one of the best on Bon (IMHO, go out turn left dive to Bari Reef, out and right, dive to Don,s Reef, (it's a 3fer!). Tons of schooling fish, macro, and reef dwelling favourites. Great night dives there, nice.

There are many great dive operations on Bon, and many opinions about every one of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brandon W. (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 8:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would second the recommendation for Buddy's to fulfill the requirements of your list..!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise K (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2961) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 9:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, there are many opinions and many very good choices. I 'third' the Buddy's recommendation. Diving off their dock is awesome no matter which way you go !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott appelt (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 9:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

check out sand dollar, dive shop next door and nice reef right outside your door

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1630) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 11:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I 2nd Sand$. Bari Reef is known for being unrivaled in number of species present. BDA is a great dive shop and the water access from their dock offers many entry options.

One caveat. The units are privately owned so the quality of each differs based on the care each owner puts into it. Lately, I have not heard anyone say they were dissatisfied and we were certainly happy.

On AC, the unit we were in had a nominal charge for AC use in the living area but AC in the bedrooms was included.

I would definitely recommend them based on your requirements. I think the security there was good and had a visible presence as well.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1301) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 12:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've never had a charge for air conditioning, and as stated before, husband uses it. Never have used the tv or phone, so can't comment there. There is a book shelf by the front desk, so, if your a reader just take 1 and leave 1.

Buddys has night patrol security guard walking about the property.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #112) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 12:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Agree with Vince D. Go to belmar-bonaire.com. There is a video that shows the lay-out, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela M (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 6:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I recommend Buddy's or Den Laman, both fulfill everything on your list. I have stayed at both and enjoyed both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tobi Fess (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 6:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the locations you recommended!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Virginia Miller (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Saturday, April 2, 2011 - 8:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We like Belmar best because the rooms are much, much nicer. We personally feel Buddys is getting shabby. The other issue with Buddys is the sand, while makes you feel more beachy, does harbor the no-see-ems. That said, Buddys does have a very convenient reef and gear storage area and the restaurant is close by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #876) on Saturday, April 2, 2011 - 8:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Buddy Dive folks thought it was getting a bit shabby, too, so renovations have been going on. The older, original Buddy Dive apartments have nearly all been fixed up...new kitchens and bathrooms and furniture, among other things. We stayed in one of those a week ago. Very pleasant. They start next on the newer, old Lions Dive, apartments. Also, the Lions Den restaurant is now closed (Kirk is focusing on the Sunset Grille) and it too will be renovated, then reopened by Buddy Dive. Lots of changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail T.*********** (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #5081) on Sunday, April 3, 2011 - 10:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check out the Black Durgon Inn. It has all of your requirements. Very secluded, very private, and a great house reef.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thom Wright (BonaireTalker - Post #76) on Sunday, April 3, 2011 - 8:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've done Buddy's, Captain's, and Sand$. I prefer Buddy's, been there more than a dozen times. They make shore diving easy with their dive and drive plan along with the drive up tank station, they have security, they provide breakfast, and their reef is just about ideal for night dives.

One of my favorite night dives is to park the truck at Sand$ and enter the water at the side farthest from Buddy, do a one way dive and exit Buddy pier, then, after getting showered and cleaned up walk back (it's only a block) and get the truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joanne (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 6:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Our family stays at Capt. Don's. Their new apts. opened in Nov. so are very they are clean with wonderful ocean views; you're right at the water's edge; great sunsets. The house reef diving couldn't be easier and it's 24 hr. access. They now have a security guard as well. We eat at many different restaurants, including their Rum Runner's. It's also walking distance to Lover's Ice Cream!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration