BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Accommodations: Carib Inn
Bonaire Talk: Accommodations: Carib Inn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveSergeant (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 11:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi All,

I found a lot of archived mention of Carib Inn, but am looking for recent feedback on it.

We neither need nor want a fancy 5-star resort; that gets too smothering for us. We like smaller, more relaxed places that are clean and functional and reasonably priced. (As comparison, if anyone is familiar with Grand Cayman, we stay at Harbourview Apartments, a small, family owned place.) Daily maid service is optional; we'd actually rather have it weekly rather than daily.

We are divers and are looking for a place to eat, sleep and relax between dives. We'll rent a vehicle, but walking distance to groceries and other shopping is always a plus. Beyond that, we have few needs other than a steady supply of nitrox.

Thanks for any feedback.

DS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #485) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carib is timeless (meaning the positive feedback in the archives is still accurate). Bruce runs a wonderful establishment and it is perfect for anyone wanting to get away from the hordes yet still have oceanfront dive access. The rooms have all the amenities you need at a very fair price. I had no complaints the time I stayed there.

It can be as social (or not) as you want it to be. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and everyone goes out of their way to ensure you are pleased with your stay.

Many evenings we spent enjoying cocktails at the waterfront waiting for the green flash and chatting with other guests. Other times, we would chill by the pool and be left alone. Nobody intrudes on your space and everyone had a healthy respect for privacy. It was great.

Even when we aren't staying there, it is a safe bet that we will visit the dive shop at least once per trip to pick up some piece of gear or have something worked on while we are on island. I think we were there three times on our last visit.

My biggest beef is that there are never rooms available when I am on the island. Carib is THAT popular.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveSergeant (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 12:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Lizard0924,

Thanks! Sounds like the kind of place we like.

We actually saw a green flash on Grand Turk. We were at the waterfront and everyone was lined up in chairs like for a parade watching the sun drop. We had no idea what was up. We glanced west just in time to see a wonderful, magical flash. Everyone was excited, as were we once we understood it!

Thanks again for your thoughts,
DS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nancy Zellin (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 3:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carib Inn doesn't offer nitrox (unless that has changed in the past year). We like the resort so much we always try to stay there anyway, even though we go without our geezer gas. -Nancy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nic (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #132) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 5:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

+1 on the positive comments about Carib Inn. I've not actually stayed there, but I stop in every trip, and more than once Bruce has saved my bacon and my trip! The lack of unlimited nitrox has kind of been a deal breaker for me, but love everything else.

If you don't like the "smothering" of the larger resorts and enjoy the smaller I would suggest checking out the Golden Reef Inn. (www.goldenreefinn.com) I've stayed there four times and had a great experience each time. I think they have about 8 units, and do their diving arrangements through WannaDive. Small quiet, and great value...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveSergeant (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 7:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nancy and Tom,

Thanks for chiming in! The no nitrox thing might be a deal breaker; we'll have to email and ask if they can get some.

We'll also check on the Golden Reef Inn.

Thanks again,
DS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #490) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 7:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just one more comment re: nitrox. No, they didn't have it when we stayed there, so we just got air thru Buddy Dive. Not a huge deal, since we dove all over the island so hitting up the drive thru at BD was not a big deal, since we were driving around anyway (and the island isn't exactly huge). The only downside is that since we didn't get our air thru Carib, we couldn't do boat dives with them. (But we don't boat dive generally in Bonaire anyway, so it wasn't a big deal for us.)

(Message edited by lizard0924 on February 11, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #460) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 8:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not having Nitrox right at Carib Inn will not slow you down. Do your dives through Buddys. They have 4 sites to pick up tanks from north to south and you can even do the drive-thru at the resort. You will have to drive by at least one Buddys site to get to any diving, so it's on your way.

Enjoy and have a great trip !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Truesdell(Bellafonte condos) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #127) on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 4:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are several places like Harbourview on Bonaire. I have stayed there and discovery point many times . Once we discovered Bonaire I have only been back once. Check with sunbelt realty.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration