BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Accommodations: Woof
Bonaire Talk: Accommodations: Woof
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #133) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 8:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't slept through the night since we got here last Saturday. Is there any place on this island that doesn't have barking dogs? I'm guessing perhaps the Sand Dollar might be immune since it is all rentals and no residential houses within hearing distance. Can anyone confirm that or suggest another location? Ordinarily we love a residential neighborhood, but I've got to get some sleep!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Ferraro (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 8:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I slept well at The Plaza, no barking dogs there. Probably any of the resorts along the shore would work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #135) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 8:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Nick. You're right.
We've gotten spoiled staying in rental houses, but we may have to go back to a big resort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie................someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15564) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 8:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

ADVIL PM!!! two of those babies and you will sleep... good luck..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #455) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 10:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Freddie ... I was going to suggest Brights !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #136) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 10:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can always count on this forum to provide what I need most. In this case it was cheering me out of my morning grumpiness and you've done that. Thanks!
I'll try out your suggestions :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1499) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I call it the canine chorale .... I solve it by closing all the window and turning on the AC in the bedroom, and the white noise covers the barking.

You can also get a small white noise generator/nature sounds etc... that I've used before, but I find on Bonaire this plan works for me..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6641) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 11:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A small fan placed right beside your bed or on the bedside table. Works for me !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17259) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 2:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

An Kelly's suggestion has a secondary benefit, it keeps the gnats and mossies off of your face!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #489) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 2:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Airco and closed windows = a good night's sleep.

Although I will say that my last night in Bonaire (private home in Santa Barbara), despite closed windows and airco on, I was awoken by the braying of a donkey in the cul de sac outside my bedroom window. I didn't mind, though, as that was such a Bonaire experience that I just smiled and went back to sleep.

I love all things about Bonaire, even the barking dogs...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renee Hoare (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 4:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am at buddy right now, and it's pretty good! we got kept up a little superbowl night, but other then that it's been good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathalie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #353) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 9:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonnie C., just curious, what neighborhood are you in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #283) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 10:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pop a couple of valiums or xanax....... or both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #137) on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 9:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nathalie, I'm in Santa Barbara. The combination of dogs that bark at everything and a number of feral cats keeps things lively all night. But we had the same canine chorale in Belnem. It seems to me that most fulltime residents have dogs that bark. I understand the feeling of security that must give.
Lizard, braying donkeys always make me smile too. I'm good at loving all things Bonaire - the quirks and glitches are all part of the experience and the experience is good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vann Evans (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #141) on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 5:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are at Sand Dollar now-it's quiet and I slept great--right by the water!
Vann Evans
Sand Dollar A4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Connie (Port Bonaire) (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

To answer the OP, I have never once heard a barking dog from Port Bonaire.

But I don't think you can count on the assumption that "any of the resorts along the shore" would probably work. Before we bought our Port Bonaire condos, we stayed a few times at Bellafonte (beautiful place, love it!), but doggone those barking dogs at a neighboring villa! Solution as others say...close the windows and turn on the a/c...and good earplugs work, too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1230) on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 8:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Couple years ago three of us spent a week at Divers Paradise.
My wife and I had the airco bedroom and slept like logs.
The poor single guy with us had this to tell.
He slept in the living room with door open to get the breeze.
A pair of donkeys made the circuit around the property all night long.
Every house had a dog or two that barked at the donkeys as they came by...all night long.
Try sleeping through that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jan angier (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #515) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 6:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm in DFW. We have barking dogs, early AM trash trucks, ambulance and fire sirens...and MY barking dogs. But, we have no ocean, no donkeys, no parrots, no pelicans diving for their breakfast.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration