BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Accommodations: Any Comments about Sorobon Beach Resort ?
Bonaire Talk: Accommodations: Any Comments about Sorobon Beach Resort ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andreas (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 11:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, we're planning our dive holidays
in july.
what's about the sorobon beach resort.
earlier it was an nude hotel. now ist not.
so, we're thinking to go there because it
seems loveley and quiet. - how are the
accommondations ? dit they some renovations ?
can anybody of you recommend this place or not ?
we are a couple of 42 from switzerland and we
are not interested for nude-hotels.

thanks for your help
Avis & Hertz -:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #955) on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 - 4:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can't comment yet on the interior. Will be able to do that in July, but that's to late for you :-)
The location is wonderful.
The beach bar next door is a great place to hang out.
You can watch (or join) the windsurfers.
The water is chest deep and luke warm.
You can kayak in the mangroves around the corner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ron DeMink (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #103) on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 - 10:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

most diving is done on the other side of the island(west)You will have to drive to it from Soroban...its your call

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carla Admiraal (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, February 4, 2011 - 2:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

We were the first guest when it opened it's doors for DRESSED people on the beach. They've renovated all the apartments, it's a beautiful location, and I think the best beach on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #121) on Saturday, February 5, 2011 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carla, did you actually stay there? I notice you seem to own a condo in Belnem, so did you pay to visit Sorobon, or were you just a "guest" at the opening?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carla Admiraal (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Sunday, February 6, 2011 - 10:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Peter,We didn't stay in the hotel, but we were there on the beach every day for 3 weeks. We had lunch there or at the neighbors (Jibe City) and I'm sure you'll have a super time. The owners are very nice and hospitable. Food was delicious, I've seen the renovated cabins and I liked them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #122) on Sunday, February 6, 2011 - 4:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Carla, but I won't "have a super time". I'll never go back there again, although I've spent countless thousands of dollars there over the last 5 or 6 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #129) on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 - 11:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We stayed there for years before it was changed to a clothing facility. I can't comment on the changes they made to the rooms, although I do not consider it the best beach on the island. At best, with sand shoes, you can walk to the reef - you MAY get chest deep but only when the tide is in, otherwise it's very shallow. I'm sure it's more economical now that it's a clothing facility but we have since found a much nicer place to stay - a private home with it's own beach where you can actually swim and dive from. Wish we had found it years ago, we would have saved ourselves a lot of $$$

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen (BonaireTalker - Post #56) on Friday, March 4, 2011 - 11:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This place is not dive friendly. You will have to drive everyday to a dive shop to either get tanks for shore diving or get on a boat. Also you will have to decide what you want to do with your dive gear. Store it at the dive shop or haul it with you, either way has it's problems. It's also more expensive to stay at Sorobon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bart Snelder (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #121) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all, I am the owner of Wannadive and thus biased... Wannadive has opened a service center at Sorobon complete with pick up/drop off for tanks, rinse basins, shower locker, rental and retail. It is therefore not necessary anymore to drive up and down to pick up tanks or gear, in fact lots of folks staying on the west coast now use it to pick up tanks. In addittion East Coast Divers has made Sorobon its center of operations.
I guess that answers the diving questions.

As far as the quality of the resort and the amenities go, I guess this is up to anyones personal taste and needs, but I do know this: the management decided to make it a 'regular' resort only a few months ago, and the place is already VERY well occupied.

Truth be said, I consider the whole Sorobon area fantastic and no longer 'the other, isolated, side'. There are two resort/hotels, four bar/restaurants, windsurf, kayak, mountain bike and dive services. It has become a genuine destination by itself. Weekenders gather at the picknick area and fishermen land their catch there, and all of this in a beautiful setting.

M2C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karen Dancheck (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #156) on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 12:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Bart for posting the info about the dive shop. Sorobon's website needs to be updated with that info since most people seem to think there is no dive shop there. Saw Bob at Beneath the Sea over the weekend. LOVE BOB! He had only fabulous things to say about Sorobon since it has been renovated. Waiting to hear back from the resort about availability in June. Can't pass up the dive show special!! I've never seen rates that good anywhere!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration