BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Accommodations: Sandollar?
Bonaire Talk: Accommodations: Sandollar?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cory (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #124) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 1:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are planning our fourth trip for this November....we've stayed at den leman, caribbean club and coral paradise...all nice but ......thinking of Sandollar this time, 1 bdm unit, price is right, enjoyed diving with BDA (shore dives only) and location was fine....anybody have some pros-cons for me to consider, i would appreciate it greatly!
Any particular units to request/avoid?
Cory
Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #670) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 1:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

we love staying at the Sandollar..everything you need is there, and easy walk to Chat& Browse and Lover's Ice Cream..the Bari reef easy and great night dive right off the dock...dive shop is friendly and good set up for tanks and gear..patio wall excellent for " happy hour " and sunset viewing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #345) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We loved A1, closest to ocean with beautiful view from the patio (screened in).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cory (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #125) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 9:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks Chris, that is the kind of info im looking for.
So in your experience do they let you specify a unit if booked far enough in advance? and what about early entry for the redeye arrivals?
Thanks Cory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cory (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #126) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 9:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

a1 is that a 1 bdroom?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #346) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 9:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is a 1 bedroom You got mail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #131) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 9:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We stayed at the Sand Dollar years ago when we only had a week at a time. We have rented houses for quite a few years. Now we are staying 3 weeks. We checked out the Sand Dollar last year and were surprised to learn that there are no clothes washers available. I guess one can use the laundry service that the Sand Dollar provides. Has anyone used this? Is it convenient and reliable? I don't want to use my vacation hauling clothes to the laundromat in town!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda T. Henderson (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 1:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We're staying at Sand Dollar the end of March. A3 and A4 are outstanding studios. Housekeeping was great. Feel safe, especially with the nighttime security. We've stayed at several different locations on the island over the years and are now "hooked" on Sand Dollar. The studio apartments are perfect for the two of us and with Bari reef, BDA, & Chat & Browse so accessible, it's perfect for us. Generally we stay for 2 weeks and I wash the necessities in the sink and hang them out to dry in the ocean breeze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1552) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 4:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We stayed at S$ in B7 Christmas before last and loved it. 2 bedroom. AC, TV, hardline internet connection, safe, full kitchen. Very clean and well decorated.

The housecleaning was beyond good too. When we came back after a long day of diving, if we had left things out on the table, they were all neatly arranged, dishes were done if we hadn't done them ourselves. Very impressed.

And there was visible security every night doing regular rounds.

e.

(Message edited by herk_man on January 24, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vann Evans (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #133) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 9:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Right upfront, I will say that I am very prejudiced-we own A4 Sand Dollar mentioned above(thanks for the nice compliment). We have stayed at Sand Dollar many times over the last 12 years(both before and after we purchased our unit). It has always been very pleasant-the location is perfect-far enough away to be quiet, close enough to get anywhere quickly. the amenities are close-bank, groceries, ice cream, Chat n Browse(internet cafe),restaurants and shopping. The house reef, Bari, is always full of fish life and easy entry/exit either from the pier or a small sandy beach. The dive shop is 75' from our front door.

To answer an earlier question--one can have laundry done by the Sand Dollar , or you can take it to the laundromat. There, you can do it yourself or simply drop it off and pick it up tomorrow. The laundry is next to the stadium, so you go past it almost every day if you go to the Warehouse or any dive site south of town.

Sand Dollar has the longest beach frontage of any place on Bonaire. We are directly across from Klein Bonaire, so no cruise boats or bad views. There is lots of room for sunset watching, sun bathing and general relaxation. There is a tennis court and swimming pool available for gusts.

I am happy to answer any questions about Sand Dollar. Feel free to email me privately or post on this board.

Vann Evans
Sand Dollar A4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cory (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #127) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 10:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks Vann
tried to send private but the site says you dont accept pm's.
Main question i guess is, what about yours, is there a separate rental site? Does sandollar mgmt allow picking a specific unit?
Cory

(Message edited by corybaby on January 24, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mosel (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 12:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes Cory there are a lot of individual owners that put there units for rent on their own. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. However, I have used or been in contact with several owners and it has been a pleasure dealing with them. Sanddollar is a great place to stay. As mentioned earlier, Bari Reef is probably the best reef in Bonaire. If you would like to PM me I would be glad to give you the Info your looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott appelt (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 10:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have found vrbo.com to be a nice site for rentals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cory (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #130) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you to all that contributed to this thread, all my questions and more were answered....were booked!
come on November!!!!!!!!

Cory
quickly becoming Bonaire addicted!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Stauber (BonaireTalker - Post #49) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cory,
We love Sand $ and I'll be anxious to hear about you trip when you return.

Keep in mind, you can't take the longest "beach" frontage literally.

Have a great trip

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration