BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Moving Dog
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Moving Dog
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nat Miller (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 5:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone have advice or warnings about trying to move a dog here?

This particular dog has immigrated before to the U.S. and that was pretty straightforward with his health check 10 days prior to travel. I am hoping for the same ease of immigration... and on a related topic, now that dogs have been banned from several beaches on Bonaire what do you all think are the best dog beaches now?

Many thanks in advance, once again,
Nat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob - RE/MAX Bonaire - bonairehomes.com (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 2:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nat -

It is unclear to me, if you are bringing a dog TO Bonaire, or trying to take a dog FROM Bonaire to the US?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob - RE/MAX Bonaire - bonairehomes.com (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 2:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nat -

If you are bringing a dog TO Bonaire, you will need to have a health check 10 days or so before travel saying he/she is in good health and all shots are current. There is a standard form that all vets seems to use.

There are no special requirements for a dog to come to Bonaire. If the dog is coming on board the place with you, you need to make a reservation with the airline and the cost used to be about $100 each way.

If the dog is larger then you need an approved flight kennel and you also need to reserve space with the airline.

You should also check with the airlines as they have some temperature restrictions about how hot or cold it can be when shipping your pet due to problems in the past. If you take the red eye flights on Continental in the fall, you should not have any problems with the temps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nat Miller (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 5:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Thanks Bob. Yes dog is moving here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1391) on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 7:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Your biggest obstacle (if it's a dog that can't go in the cabin as your carry-on) will be the airline. I remember someone saying that CO wouldn't take animals as cargo because they don't have an airport handler here on Bonaire..or something like that. Not sure about DL. Insel's non-stop MIA/BON might work. If you go AA via CUR, I think only DAE has a cargo area big enough for a large kennel, CUR/BON, but don't know their policies.

Whatever you find out, I'd appreciate if you'd post back & share.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #195) on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 11:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Nat-please read email we just sent you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4175) on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Email me at ann@bonairecaribbean.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #463) on Monday, November 1, 2010 - 11:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just so you know, now that we are part of Holland, the rules of importing a dog (or other pets) that apply for Holland now apply for Bonaire, too. I had friends who found this out in the not-so-nice way when they were refused boarding at their U.S. originating gateway.

All dogs (and those transporting other types of animals should check first) now have to have micro-chips implanted prior to getting on a plane to Bonaire. This can be done at most vet's offices, I believe.

Additionally a "pet passport" is now needed. There is now a form, which constitutes the pet passport, which needs to be signed by a licensed veterinarian and the pet’s inoculation record attached and can be used for the pet to enter Bonaire from the United States. Your pet passport forms are valid for up to four months of travel within Bonaire. I am told that items V and VII are not required for Bonaire. If anyone needs the form, email me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ella van Oostrom (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 5:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm looking for 2 travelling benches for our dogs in July 2011, to fly 1 way from Amsterdam to Bonaire.

No 1: length 75 cm, highth 50 cm.
No 2: length 105 cm, highth 75 cm.

Anyone who can help me?

Thank you, Ella

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration