BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Living on Bonaire part time
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Living on Bonaire part time
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitzi Trawick (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 9:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, I know that if I purchase a home on Bonaire that I can stay there up to 3 mo without getting an extended visa, but does anyone know how long you have to be off of the island between visits? My goal is to keep my home in the states and purchase a home there, also. Don't want to change my residency, but do want to spend as much time as possible down there. Thanks for any help you can give!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Everett Preece (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 9:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think you can stay up to 90 days a year.So if you spent the first 3 months (Jan-March) you'd have to be off the island for 9 months.If you spent the last three months of the year in Bonaire, then go off the island for a couple days,you could reload and spend another 3 months on the island.If you time it right you could spend almost 6 months straight with a few days off the island.I have also heard that property owners can spend 180 days a year on the island....I would check with immigration

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #289) on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 8:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mitiz, there is a "friendship agreement" between the U.S. and Holland that has recently been interpreted in a court to apply also to the Netherland Antilles Islands. So that means, as a U.S. citizen, you can have 6 months on Bonaire. But you must apply at Immigration.

I am doing what you want to do. I have a home in Illinois and a house in Belnem, and I come frequently to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #432) on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 8:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

10/10/10 bonaire is not part of the Netherlands Antilles but one of the BES islands and in direct relationship with Holland ... the laws are changing almost daily ... go to immigration and get the correct facts and papers ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitzi Trawick (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 10:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks so much for all the comments! I did see where there was going to be some big changes for the island with the new govt deal. Of course, it will be easier for me with the US dollar... But, most people don't like change of any kind. I am a little confused about what the differences will be now and what it all means, but then again, I don't live there, so... guess I will find out soon enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob - RE/MAX Bonaire - bonairehomes.com (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mitzi -

It doesn't matter if you own a home on Bonaire, or not, anyone traveling on a US, Canadian or EU passport can stay on the island for 90 days automatically. If you want to stay longer you have normally been able to get a visa extension of another 90 days by going to the immigration office and showing them you have a valid plane ticket to depart.
The immigration rules are subject to change without notice, but this has generally been how they handle things. You can try to call immigration at +599-717-5150 to get their latest rules.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #224) on Saturday, August 7, 2010 - 12:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It used to be that you needed to leave the island within 90 days, and then return in a couple of days. I went to Aruba for a weekend and returned for another 90 days and never had any problems. Just make sure you do not go over the 90 days or you will end up on their radar.

There was also an incident where I unintentionally entered a grey area. I went to the officials and notified them and asked for their advice. They were very gracious and gave me a break, something which might not have happened if I just pretended it did not happen. I don't know how things will be after the transition, but my experience is that the Antilleans are very accommodating and forgiving if you are respectful of them and their laws and don't just dismiss them as a bunch of backwater hicks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis and Patti (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #185) on Monday, September 27, 2010 - 11:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Latest word we have from the central office is that if you own property on island you can stay 90 days in every 180 day period, great news!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #316) on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 3:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The 180 days are based on the date of your first arrival, not the calendar year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Naylor (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #244) on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 10:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dennis and Patti From what I am reading you do not have to own a property to stay 90 days.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration