BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Pet supplies
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Pet supplies
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve and Steve (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 7:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As I mentioned in my first thread, we're planning a move to Bonaire in 12 to 14 months.

Our two dogs and our cat will be joining us, and I'm wondering what the pet supplies situation is like. I don't ever recall seeing a pet supply store on the island - do pet owners rely on the supermarkets or convenience stores for pet food, kitty litter, dog treats, etc.? Is there a decent variety, or do some people resort to ordering it from off the island?

Other than the logistics of getting the animals to Bonaire and ensuring we have the right paperwork and proof of vaccinations, is there any general advice on being a pet owner on Bonaire? Do people tend to let their cats roam outside during the day?

Thanks,
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1349) on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 9:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If your dogs are happy with Pedigree, and cat with Friskees or Whiskas, you'll be ok. There are other brands (some from Holland), but these are the most consistent (at Warehouse & most of the Chinese markets). I've seen Purina and Eukenuba occasionally at Warehouse. Warehouse also sells kitty litter & "Vitabone" dog biscuits. Choices are few; like anything else-if you see it, buy it.

The vet on Kaya Lagun can bring in Science Diet cat food sometimes--you can make arrangements with him. I go to Curacao enough so that I can bring back my own Science Diet Cat Food (the distributor is there).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4148) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My dog lives on Hills ID (prescription) and it is sold to me by Jan the vet. I used to buy direct from the distributor in CUR but he stopped selling to me. It's pretty price so I supplement with rice, mashed potatoes, pasta, cooked fish and chicken to stretch it. And what Ruth said is true. Every store, every toko, every grocer has pet food. I find Cultimara's prices the most $$$. Pedigree is 3,25 ANG a can there and 1, 95 a can in Warehouse. The tokos and Chinese stores are more too, around 2,50 a can. You have to shop around. One time we had no cat litter on island for a few months, Dec. 08. It was not fun. I was scolded for getting beach sand from one environmental fanatic. What was I supposed to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1350) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 11:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Forgot, re: cats outside-I'd vote no. I have one indoor-outdoor cat (that's his choice, and was his way when he found me; I'm not happy about it), but my other 3 are indoor only (they got me early enough). There's just no way to rest easy knowing the amount of fast drivers and stray dogs (and other stray cats) out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve and Steve (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 12:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No kitty litter for a few months!? I'd be scooping up beach sand, too.

Ruth - thanks for the indoor/outdoor advice. Our cat stays indoors, except for the few times a month we put her in a harness and leash and let her explore the back yard. I imagine we'll do the same in Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2073) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 12:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann, just return the sand to the beach when you are done with it - problem solved.

Just make sure you tell me which beach you are using - okay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A. is packin' and I'm not talking heat (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #16619) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 1:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve and Steve, another option that many people on island take advantage of is having friends bring supplies when visiting.:) I have carried food, treats, collars and such for friends over the years. The animal shelter also sells supplies to make money to keep the shelter going.

Ruth and Ann are avid pet lovers and owner so I would bet they have the best advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10039) on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 11:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ha! I just found this thread and was going to post what RA posted. I have packed in stuff for friends and the shelter. Never had a problem. This last trip, I didn't pack enough. So tell your friends exactly how much you need so they don't guess and screw it up. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob - RE/MAX Bonaire - bonairehomes.com (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 10:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve and Steve -
As far as pets go, the one thing to remember is this is a tropical place where fleas and ticks are VERY common. No matter how well you take care of you pet they will still be a problem so start watching for them right away, and bring an ample supply for Frontline or other branded flea/tick treatments to get you started. Use the drops that go on the pets back. The local insects laugh at flea/tick collars, so you can skip those. Flea/Tick treatments (like Frontline), heartworm pills and other kinds of items are available at all of the local vets offices. Just so you know, a visit to the vets office is about the same cost as a visit to the doctor, about $20 to $30 plus meds.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration