BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Working on Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Working on Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin OBrien (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 10:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, new guy here. Been coming to BON pretty regularly since 1997 and contemplating the big move. Have sufficient capital to buy a house, but would also like to understand if there are any changes in the ability to work. The last posts I saw on this thread were in the archives and dated about 1 year ago (Apr 2009).

Currently own a dive shop and internet business and am a PADI Master Instructor (thinking of becoming a Course Director).

Has anything changed in terms of an American working on BON with the new laws??

Thanks for any and all insights & advice !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #400) on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 3:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

contact DEZA ... Department of Economics and Labor-web site: infobonaireeconomy.org.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin OBrien (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Pietri. The information on the DEZA site was helpful, but also prompts more questions. On the DEZA site, the regulations imply that if a job opening is posted by an employer and no suitable Antillean or Dutch candidates are registered or available, the employer may request a foreign worker.

My question would be how likely is the prospect for the above conditions. The statistics on the DEZA site are relatively dated (from 2005), but they do show that some 500+ work permits were granted that year. From a practical point of view, if an employer on Bonaire desires to employ an American (for instance) with specific or unique skills, is it likely the work permit will be granted?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #401) on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

you are putting me on the spot.... it really is the roll of the dice.. the work permit situation is very fickle and beyond explanation sometimes ... in general Americans are considered equally with all other nationalities.. but the language issue usually comes up ... the dive industry is pretty crowded and the focus now is get our bonairian youth into this industry....the internet business is also pretty full .. i am sure to do business or teach you would be expected to at least speak papiamentu .. also ... generally an applicant for a work permit may not be on island during the procedure which can take months .. and you may not enter bonaire specifically for the purpose of work .. as a home owner you might get an exception or two .. hard to say .. it is a long and arduous process to get your residency let alone a work permit .. then again you could apply to open your own business .. another whole can of worms .. on your next trip visit DEZA and Immigration and do your homework.. good luck .. and i hope it goes well for you .. perhaps Michael can tell you about opening a business???? an option ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4091) on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 8:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As Petrie said, it is a crap shoot and no real specific answers. If you can qualify for residency without a job, it may be easier once you are living here. Another option is to purchase an existing business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin OBrien (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 7:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Pietri & Michael. I will be returning to BON again in a few months and plan to begin looking for a home to purchase. Also will visit DEZA. Thanks again for your insights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Council (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 1:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin would you be from College Park sister Cindy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #259) on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 11:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Steve -- no, not me. Grew up in the Adirondacks and have lived & worked in Cleveland area since early 1975. Must be another good-looking guy ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelby Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 3:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

so looks like a bit of a long shot, there hasnt been postings since 2010..My fiance got accepted into the medical school located in Kralendijk, Bonaire and im wanting to take the adventure with him.. im looking to see how i would go about even looking for a job in the area, im getting frustrated trying every search and not having much luck..Any suggestions would be Greatly appreciated!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration