BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Criminal situation in Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Criminal situation in Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Vega (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 4:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello everyone. One topic havn't been discussed: how about criminal situation in Bonaire: are there thefts, robberies, murders maybe? how responsive is the police? can u go calmly anywhere at any time day or night? are the locals friendly and relaxed or just looking at your purse? are there private firearms on the island? Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2817) on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 4:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alan..Welcome to BT..Bonaire is one of the friendliest safest islands in the Carib. Having said that, is there any place on this entire planet where there are no thefts, robberies etc? Use common sense and you'll be fine. Firearms are not permitted on the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2021) on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alan, do a search for "Crime" very hot topic.

That said, nine trips and I've never had a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #24658) on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

0ver 20 years....NOTHING, But, it does take place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #794) on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 4:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I’ve heard crime exists on Bonaire.
I visit the island since 1977 and never had a problem.
I don’t take exceptional precautions either, just use common sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Vega (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 8:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, guys, very helpful... still, please touch up on a couple of specifics for me: as I understand I can wonder at night in the north part of the island or sleep over on the beach and, most likely nobody would mess with me? and if I need police for some reason, how responsive and helpful is it? I'm asking it because where I live - in Ecuador - long walks on an empty beach is NO NO unless you are very well armed... Thanks again. Cheers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2089) on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 12:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alan, you can walk the beaches at night no problem. As far as sleeping on them, I'm not sure you can do that. I believe you have to have a permit to camp on the beach, and I don't think they issue them readily. Also, Bonaire is not known for it's "beaches." There are "sandy patches" in some areas but it's mostly iron shore.

I think the locals can respond in regard to the responsiveness of the police.

I spent six weeks in Puerto Rico. Rented an apartment on the beach in Isle Verde, I couldn't for the life of me understand why the beaches were deserted at night. Then a friend let me in on a little secret...it wasn't safe! good to know! lol!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2828) on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 6:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alan..I would not recommend sleeping on a beach at night. My advice is to book some inexpensive accommodations if you're trying to save money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Vega (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 10:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks a lot guys. I've got the picture. Didn't mean to live on the beach, just wanted to make an example of an extreme exposure to the local life... How do you travel to Saba from Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2096) on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alan, contact Ann Phelan through this board. She lives on Bonaire and is a travel agent. Can someone post her email addy please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BarbieRuth******Ken's forever love (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3370) on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 12:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ann@bonairecaribbean.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #379) on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 8:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The only way to Saba from Bonaire is via Curacao and Sint Maartin. You can fly either Insel Air or DAE to Sint Maartin, and then you'd have to pick up Winair there for the hop to Saba.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marianne Abels (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I love it that you can keep the doors of your car open, that you feel safe when you walk alone as a woman and people are friendly and are helpful. Great Island in the Sun!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MzFish in SD (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #385) on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

According to the CIA website Bonaire is: "transshipment point for South American drugs bound for the US and Europe; money-laundering center"

As for petty crime, we had our truck gone through while parked at a dive site in May. Of course we left it unlocked with the windows open as advised. They removed and went through the mesh bags (with sunscreen, water bottles and sunglasses)that were behind the back seat, threw the sunhats that were under the seats out the windows (returned to us by other divers in the area). The only thing that was taken was a guilder that we had found on the ground and left in the truck. Guess they were only looking for money... Don't leave valuables in you vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Vega (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 11:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, actually the fact that money is being laundered there does not make it a dangerous place. I guess some dirty cash is everywhere in Carribean... The way you guys dive there, don't try it in Ecuador: you'd be robbed for fun at gunpoint. I'm convinced there is no way to keep a poor man from going through your possessions. Cheers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #201) on Wednesday, July 7, 2010 - 11:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well put Allen. It would be easier to name countries where money is not laundered. I am sure it would be a very short list. Did the CIA report on money laundering in the US and link it to an increase in the loss of sunhats?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration