BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Condo purchase
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: Condo purchase
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By terri boettcher (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 7:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are looking to purchase a property and I have seen many listings for Caribbean Court as compared to other locations. Is there anything going on which may explain so many units up for sale?Other properties on our short list are Sand Dollar and SeaSide Resort. We will be using our unit between 5-8 weeks a year for the next several years. Any advice would be appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3800) on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 10:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Be sure to check out the finer points of all the requirements, expensed, PENDING LAWSUITS, etc. that are tied to your purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #234) on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

also check out immigration requirements .... 5-8 weeks surpasses the limit of days on island in a calendar without having to file for residency ... it's getting tougher and tougher as the changeover personnel from Holland are now on island to get "things in proper order".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Everett Preece (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 6:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I remember reading a post a while back that stated that one could spend a maximum of 90 days on Bonaire without declaring residency and if you were property owner it was 180 days. Has this changed to 56 days?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vincent Vethaak (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 5:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If the BES islands are becoming Schengen, then nothing will change the 90 days stay. You will only need a Schengen-visa, which you can download from the internet. A Schengen visa allows the holder to travel freely within the Schengen countries for a maximum stay of up to 90 days in a 6 month period.
Hope this helps you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wightman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #125) on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 7:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think Americans(along with several other nationalities) need the Schengen visa to stay 90 out of 180 days from our reading of the Agreement. Pls feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #238) on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 6:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

it is my understanding by experience that property ownership in itself does not come with any special rights . My brother who bought property 4 years ago was required to apply for temporary residency and continues to renew every year... he has to return for a renewal this month... my sister bought property a year and a half ago and was required to go through the same process and also files her temporary residence papers annually. After a period of 5 years ..and you have filed and received this permission every year of the 5 .. if you miss 1 year, you must start the process over.... you may then apply for permanent residency. The rules are there and with the Dutch officials on island are now becoming enforced. As a voice of experience .. in these days i would assume nothing... check with immigration to be sure. The result of not complying with the regulations in place is immediate deportation.... once that occurs you have reached a dark place and to extract yourself could be very diificult .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #239) on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 6:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

to clarify what i originally meant .. sorry ... when you enter bonaire you are usually granted 30 days ... check the stamp on your passport .. if you want to stay longer you must report to immigration for an extension which is 90 days .. it is my latest information that a total of 90 days is the limit for a calendar year unless you report to immigration for extensions .. i cannot emphasize enough for everyone to take a few minutes to drop into immigration and insure you are okay .. this is a very serious matter now with the changeover .. NEVER ASSUME anything on bonaire .. check it out!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vincent Vethaak (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 3:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dennis,
You are absolutely right, americans don't have to apply for the visa. Maybe we are all a little bit too early, we have to wait and see what the new rules will lay upon us. As Pietri also mentioned 90 days is the max, but check immigration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Oliveira (LBR28) (BonaireTalker - Post #60) on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 9:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Pietri,
My next trip will be a 5 week stay in Bonaire. By what you're saying I will have to report to immigration for an extension beyond 30 days. Where is immigration located at ?
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - www.bsdme.info (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #648) on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 10:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You have to finish your 10th year to become a permanent resident. I keep checking as I get closer. You can apply for a Dutch passport after 5 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vincent Vethaak (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 7:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Peter,
Office is located at:Immigration office at Kaya Libertador Simon Bolivar #7 (behind Tourist Corporation Bonaire's office).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Oliveira (LBR28) (BonaireTalker - Post #61) on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 11:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vincent, thank you for the info on the immigration office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Hahn (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is there any other advantage of being a Dutch citizen other than the privilege of voting? Do you have to renounce your current citizenship?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3805) on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 12:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Too many questions, so few right answers. Be sure to check which office you are supposed to visit and what time the are operating. It seems to be changing on a pretty regular basis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #241) on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

see rules change .. I was able to get permanent residency after 5 years .. that was a while ago .. you can get a dutch passport by option also which requires 15 years of continuous residence in the Netherlands Antilles.

you must now report to the census office for extension/visa matters ... weekdays from 1:30pm -4:30 pm....this is located just behind the immigration office. this rule just changed in the last few weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 1:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anybody know, from their own experience how much time one should plan to be off the island while the Temporary Residency paperwork is reviewed? Weeks? Months?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3826) on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It varies widely...there is a real backlog of papers now. Better check with whoever filed your papers.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration