BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: What goods best to ship from overseas?
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: What goods best to ship from overseas?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Telcoman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, August 3, 2009 - 11:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everybody,

we will be moving to Bonaire in september. Fortunately, we have the opportunity to use a container to ship goods.

Any suggestions as to what goods I should definitely bring from overseas? Some of the stuff that I am not sure about:

- Fridge
- Television
- Laundromat
- Dryer
- Beds? (I know some local companies in Curacao make great beds, does the same hold true for Bonaire?)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil the Bee (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #107) on Monday, August 3, 2009 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since you are presumably coming from Netherlands you will have no problem with the electrical system here. One word of caution - fridge and freezer designed for use in Europe will not necessarily be good enough here with temperature above 30 most of the time. Unless you know they are well rated, it's safer to buy a new one here.
TV, definitely, beds are very limited here - if you like what you have there - bring it along with plently of bed linen which is very difficult to get here. Also bear in mind that if you were to buy furniture on Curacao, getting it to Bonaire can be relatively expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3781) on Monday, August 3, 2009 - 4:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually shipping from Curacao is not too bad but they do not treat the goods as well as you would. The companies who do ship stuff to Bonaire generally do pack it pretty good and also most do not charge the 5% OB and at times you can bargain with them to include the freight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Telcoman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, August 4, 2009 - 1:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks, great suggestions. I will buy the fridge locally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #720) on Tuesday, August 4, 2009 - 4:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Depending on the size of the container you are allowed to use, I would bring "everything" you have in your home. Are you allowed to bring a car too?
Selling your belongings eg on "marktplaats" does not bring you much. Bringing everything will get you started on Bonaire right away. You can always buy new after you arrived.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil the Bee (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #108) on Tuesday, August 4, 2009 - 6:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You are (unless rgulations have changed again recently) allowed to bring a car provided it has been in your posession for at least 6 months before shipping (check it's not 1 year). If thinking of doing that though, make sure iut's a car you can get service and spares for here. Don't bring a Citroen or Peugeot of anything with a sophisticated engine management system as you probably won't find anyone with the necessary diagnostic equipment.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration