BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Moving Company or a couple strong guys
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: Moving Company or a couple strong guys
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 9:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I need to have help with unloading a container on the 13th of Dec and maybe the 14th depending on how it goes, it's furniture and boxes (20ft container) and ideally I would need the guys or company to have a small truck so we can load it (we will have a pickup as a backup).

Does anyone have recommendations for a couple strong guys with a truck or a moving company?

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1095) on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 10:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If it's your own container (not shared), you have it brought to your house. Then you have an appointment for a customs officer to be there when it's opened (you may NOT open it before or by yourself-only the officer may break the seal). You unload it while the officer watches, and he/she checks things off your customs paperwork (Rocargo will arrange your papers). All of this must be done during regular business hours (M-F, 8-12/2-4). It's in your best interest to do this quickly, as the clock is ticking on both the officer, and the chasis (the thing that hauls the container). All of the import duties and shipping fees must be paid up front, before the container's released. Import duties on furniture are very high (around 40%), so you might want to check ahead of time with Rocargo--everything that goes in the container must have an invoice; you pay duties on top of the invoice value plus ocean freight. Also be flexible with your timing-many things can delay containers, such as strikes in Curacao, or not enough chasis (here or in CUR), or the very high volume of shipping that happens in Dec., etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #97) on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 10:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have you discussed your need with Patricia at Rocargo? They will (for a fee) provide men and trucks to move your belongings, or have your cargo container delivered (via Don Andres)to your house/condo and unload it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #98) on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 11:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth provided a very accurate and detailed summary of what to expect. Patricia at Rocargo was very helpful in arranging and organizing the logistics for our move/unloading.

One item I especially want to emphasize is the "clock is ticking". Even though you may be told that you have 6 or 7 days to unload your container, that may not be reality. At least it was not for us.

Our belongings arrived "on Bonaire" late on a Friday afternoon from Curacao which started the clock ticking. Friday was 1 day. Saturday was day 2. Sunday was day 3. Monday was day 4 and our belongings were delivered late Monday afternoon. Tuesday was day 5 (it rained very heavily during the night and in the morning so the customs officer didn't arrive to start the unloading process until about 2:30 PM). The belongings needed to be unloaded and the container picked up and back at the dock by about 3:30 PM on Wednesday OTHERWISE you get to pay for a weeks of storage of the container/chassis which amounts to about $800 USD for a 40 ft container.

Bottom line, while yes, the container was on the island for approximately 6 days, we ended up with less than a day to actually unload.

If you are shipping the container via AmCar, check with Maria. You might be able to split the transportation fee into two parts. One part consisting of Canada to Miami, the other Miami to Bonaire. The purpose in doing this is to reduce the freight charges on which you will pay duties to only the ocean freight amount. Maybe this is automatically figured out, but Maria suggested to us to split the fee just to be on the safe side. Note that you will have to pay duties unless you have received your (yearly renewed) permanent residency permits. Also, anything newer than 6 months old will be assessed the 5% sales tax and duties even if they are "household goods".

Since you are talking about brining a boat to Bonaire, be prepared to pay tax and duties on the boat, no matter what the age. These fees apply even if you have your residency permit because a boat does not fall in the duty free "household belongings" category.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1096) on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 11:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From what Peter's posted so far, it sounds like he will not have his residency permit in place when he's shipping his home furnishings, and/or he's buying new items (he's going to retire here in 10 years, so this might not qualify as his one time household import...though I'm not sure what he's arranged so far), so he will be paying full duties on furniture, which I think are about 28% to 37.5% plus 5% sales tax (ob).

Personally, I avoid shipping in December if at all possible-things will arrive, but can get held up in CUR simply because of the sheer volume of shipping that happens before Christmas. You definitely could not pin it down to a specific date at this time, probably not even the week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 12:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ruth and Barton, I wish I had posted this before booking the flights, as we arrive on Sat and looks like we will be in the same boat as you. Based on the comments I need to check about having the container arrive a bit early and pay the 800 for a week I suspect (we don't have much flexibility on the dates sadly)

I have heard the 6 day comment before, but was not aware that the customs officer had to be present for the whole unload, thought only for breaking the seal.

I am not a resident yet (have to figure out when to start that process as we are not moving down for 8-10 years)so you are right Ruth the duties and taxes are going to be a pain, but from what I hear (and tell me if you think it's otherwise) the costs on the island when you are in the 20,000+ range are more than 40% higher than in the US (at least that is what I have heard so that is why we are going this route but we can still change so please tell me your thoughts on this)

I would have liked November but my wife can not get off work until Dec and while I can go down on my own she is not sure about my selecting paints and hanging art work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #99) on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 12:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

re customs officer: yes, expect the officer to be present during the entire unloading, and do not be surprised if they want to open a box to inspect the contents. A complete and detailed contents list of the contents of each box is the best way to keep the unloading process on track.

re off-island purchases. I didn't quite understand your statement regarding 20,000+ range, but let me present my opinion on this topic. It is nice to buy on island IF you can get what you want, or close to it BUT the chances are relatively slim (in my opinion) of finding anything even slightly out of the ordinary. So, what to do? My thought is that since the duty and taxes are paid by everyone, and shipping expenses are likely similar whether the item is purchased "on Bonaire" or shipped in personally, the choice becomes pretty obvious: buy where you can get the best price ON EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT. Typically I suspect this means buying in CA or the USA (for us north americans) and shipping the items. I have talked with local Bonairians (not ex-pat immigrants) that, even for "smaller" items like music CD's and DVD videos, use the eZone mail approach to buy items on the internet and have them shipped to Bonaire because the selection and price is better than buying locally on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1097) on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 11:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If I were starting over, I'd probably take a good look in Bonaire, as well as Curacao (because I can). I'd compare it to online choices, where I'd focus on places like Overstock.com because of their low shipping prices, or Lowes/Home Depot because they're local to Amcar. I doubt I'd need an entire 20' container, unless I were shipping many rooms, all appliances, kitchen cabinets, etc. One living room, dining room & bedroom do not take up 20'. Then I'd have my purchases sent to Amcar, where I'd ask them to "hold for consignment" until all had arrived. When everything was there, I'd ask them to ship to Bonaire. Amcar sails every Thursday, deadline is 4pm Monday before. When I have cargo sail, I hope to see it 11 days later, more during holiday time. Most of the delays happen in Curacao, where they always take care of their own containers first. It's simply unavoidable. On Bonaire, I'd let Rocargo handle all of the paperwork & clearance. When you share space in one of Amcar's containers, Rocargo unloads your cargo at their warehouse. Then, for about $100, I'd hire Rocargo to deliver my purchases to my house.

For paint, be sure you bring all of your own color choices (those little swatches you get for free at paint stores). They don't have those paint chips here (or if they do, they don't always have all choices available). At least then you can have paint choices in your house; when you find the right ones, take the chips to Krioyo and they'll match them, or you can pick out one of their existing colors (this takes a day or 2, if they have all ingredients in stock-sometimes they run out of a base, etc, and getting the color you want can take weeks).

Managing your expectations (to be realistic to your circumstances) is a big part of being able to live here in peace. Shipping, importing & painting are good practice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone for your great help and feedback, I have (or am in the process of) changing the shipping arrangements to give us a much higher chance of making it work (watch there be snow in Miami and make a mess of my plans ;)

I also realize that you can not plan for unknowns you just have to deal with them.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #468) on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 6:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I second the advise to let Rocargo take care of it. They can arrange guys to do the work and I'd trust that more than letting a few random people into your new house. Rocargo also handles the customs issues etc. Pay them a visit and it will all work out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 8:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks guys I am chatting with Patricia as we speak (or type I guess) also what is the theft like in Bonaire (stuff in a vacant Condo versus stuff in a warehouse?)

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1099) on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 11:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've never had anything go missing from Rocargo's warehouse (almost 20 years of shipping with them every 6 weeks).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 11:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ruth, I just had somebody comment on shipping but wanted to ask the experts :-)

It funny I feel like I should invite you all over for a glass of wine when I come down next as without your advice I would be even more lost!

We will be doing the whirlwind tour in early to mid dec!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1100) on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 9:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Peter...I wouldn't say "expert" except maybe 'expert by default'. Even I learn eventually!

Also, beer (Polar, the local's beer of choice) is preferred to wine. See you in December.
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 1:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hmm, I happen not to be a beer person can we compromise on steaming hot coffee :-) And I can always get beer ;)

Flights booked, 50% there with the container (which we might only use 75% of and now to line up all the meetings and so on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1101) on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 3:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dude, beer is never negotiable in the caribbean! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10036) on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 4:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, ya got that right! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 12:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh my, I better start packing (hmm the good news is my wife likes beer (and wine))

I sadly do not like beer, unless it's a tiny touch with Sushi.

Any other drinks we can agree on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #177) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 9:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Peter, I myself am not a beer drinker - however after my first "Bright" I was hooked and will drink no other beer but the elusive "Bright" They are just not available in the US. I have tried. So its just another reason to keep going back to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1102) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 1:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 1:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok I am buying you a beer then :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #647) on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 2:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As for the residency permit timing, you can bond the shipment. Basically, you pay the cost of the duty as a refundable bond, and they refund the bond if you qualify for the residency exemption within 6 months. That's how I did it when I moved here. You need to talk to Customs about it in advance, though.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration