BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Televisions
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: Televisions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Sunday, February 1, 2009 - 6:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We need to buy a new television for our condo. We can get one for less $$ in the states and have it shipped. But are there any electrical issues with a US TV? As far as warranty issues, do places like City Shop do a good job covering warranties if you buy from them, making it worth paying extra?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1966) on Monday, February 2, 2009 - 6:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Stuart..My suggestion would be to buy it on Bonaire. To my knowledge no electrical issues with a TV however I do recommend a surge protector.
When you add up shipping costs & duty on top of that the margin for financial gain in buying from the states quickly evaporates. We purchased ours from Omni, no problems encountered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3550) on Monday, February 2, 2009 - 8:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

TV's are just as cheap here as in the US. What you think you will save will be more than lost if you have a problem and no one to honor a guarantee. It is also nice to support local business. At least a Dozen places to shop for TV's here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Monday, February 2, 2009 - 9:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone for the info, Omni Electronics name has been suggested by several people e-mailing me as very reliable...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 7:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Besides a TV, I was also able to get a 220v/50 Hz dishwasher and microwave from Omni!!!!

We will be looking for a DVD player on our next trip the end of the month. When I was at several of the electronics places on Bonaire in April, I noticed they were 120V 60 Hz??

Has anyone has any issues with a DVD player running 60 Hz?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2319) on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 6:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good deal Stuart.We've always had pretty good luck with Omni. Hopefully you've also got a 220 volt outlet for that microwave! We bought ours there & it works like a charm.
Regarding the DVD, can't help you. Anything with a motor can be problematical.
We'll be looking to pick up a vacuum cleaner at Omni this trip. They're a lot more expensive on Bonaire since they have to be converted to 50 Hz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 1:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone have experience with a 60hz flat screen TV being used in Bonaire (sadly it's not a universal AC adapter and it's rated for 120V 60Hz not 50Hz as is the case in Bonaire)?

Same question about a DVD player and a receiver (any experience would be VERY much appreciated)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 7:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Peter

Word has it 60 HZ DVD players work with 50 HZ power, at least that is what I was told by our resort.
Not sure about the TV, our flat screen TV we bought is rated for both 60 and 50 HZ.

Good luck!

Stuart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 8:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Stuart, what brand TV was it (and maybe even the model)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9973) on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 8:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We sent a TV down, flat screen, that was rated for both 60 and 50 HZ. It does limit your choices getting one rated for Bonaire, but worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9974) on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 8:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

And yes, I actually saved $$ on that as I got a super deal even with shipping, duties and freight. I am sure that if you spend enough time on island, you can get a good deal on one there as well. Most appliances and things with motors are bought on island by me. Have good experiences at quite a few shops, good selection. Omni is a good choice too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 3:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Peter

I think most VIZIO brand TV's are set up for 50/60 Hz. Some other Brands are also. You can usually look in the manufactures web site and see what the power requirements are.
If you buy on Island you still have to look, as some places are selling 60 Hz TV's. When we were looking for a microwave oven, all of them at City Shop were 60 Hz. We were able to find a 50Hz 220V at Omni.
Maybe a 60 Hz TV will work, but we have had issues with the power in the past, so feel better buying the 50 Hz products.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration