BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Wood and steel furniture
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: Wood and steel furniture
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 8:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok I have heard the info on buying local versus shipping load and clear (thanks all the BT people that have helped me out on that)

So now I am off shopping (the condo will be nicer than my place! and its going to be for long term rent so I don't even get to enjoy it)

But the question is we have found some nice stuff that uses stainless steel tubing and either wood (press board with veneer) or heavy wood like oak. Can anyone tall me how will that hold up? It is for the dinning and living room but I assume that the screen doors will be open most of the time so it might as well be outdoors. Comments and suggestions, please

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9930) on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 12:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Watch out for some of the cheaper woods on island, they will indeed warp. There are some very good wood craftsman that can make what you want to order and in my opinion wonderful craftsmanship. Maybe a bit more $$, but you would have to figure the costs of shipping stuff down and all to compare. Don't know where in the archives it is, but there was some talk of good wood carpenters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Debbie,

I am more looking at can I bring some down as I don't know how the salt air will affect it. I am afraid of pitting the steel (or rust) as well as warping the wood I guess. Do you know how stainless steel is affected?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9931) on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 1:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Peter, it will rust in time. Would have to be some very good grade of Stainless steel to endure the elements. We shipped down a stainless steel grill to Bonaire 3 or 4 years ago. The ones on island were not that good of grade to endure the test of time, so wouldn't buy on island. Shipped it, costs then was double what I paid for grill, but I have to say, that there is just the start of one little piece of rust on it today that can be taken care of. Still looks brand new. That is pretty good. It is outside year round, we do cover it when not in use.

I would stay away from pressed board if at all possible, it will warp. Rattan furniture seems to hold up the best, you just make new cushions/covers for it when they get worn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2338) on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 5:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Peter..Just as an FYI, there are all different grades of "stainless steel". Obviously the cheaper ones do not stand up to the environment.
I've found that in addition to a high quality S.S.; brass or anodized aluminum will stand up well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Hahn (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 5:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The highest grades of stainless steel are non-magnetic or weakly magnetic. If a refrigerator magnet falls off, you're golden! If the magnet sticks firmly, there is probably enough iron to cause some rust problems down the line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Bomberg (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 7:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Fred, you are right and that is an easy test as well.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration