BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Can I bring my piano to Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: Can I bring my piano to Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Heidi van den Tillaar (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 5:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
I'm moving to Bonaire soon and could use advice on whether or not to bring my piano. Can a piano handle the Bonaire climate? Is there a piano tuner on the island?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2269) on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 6:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sure the climate must play havoc with a traditional piano. If it were me, I'd consider an electronic one.
Having said that, I believe I recently read in the Bonaire Reporter that they just acquired a baby grand concert piano on the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #314) on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 7:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I do have my piano with me, brought it something like 18 years ago. The humidity of the island plays havoc on it, and I have yet to find a tuner down here, although my father did tune it once when he was visiting (he no longer tunes). He said it was so far out of tune, no way it would hold a tune with a single tuning, and he was right!

By all means bring it, but don't mind if it sounds a bit tinny and out of tune.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Heidi van den Tillaar (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 9:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Vince and Susan. I'll reconsider...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3727) on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 10:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I spoke with Sue Felix and they used to have someone from the States come when they had the Tr nsworld folks here but now she tells me that there is someone from Curacao who does it. I know there are lots of pianos on island and I am sure if enough folks needed it, he would come. Also, it would be great if we could find a diving piano tuner and entice him to visit...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9691) on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 11:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, CB, that sounds right up your alley! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3430) on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 12:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie, Becky just pointed this out to me...

The weather is going to be a factor, but I think you could mitigate many of the effects by installing a Damp-Chaser system. It's a combination of heated rod, water reservoir, and humidistat thats regulates the humidity of the piano's environment. I think the whole system is around $300, but that's a ballpark because I'm too lazy to look it up.

I was amazed to see a music room in Puerto Rico that was climate controlled and sported a perfectly tuned Steinway D and harp :http://www.thegalleryinn.com/homepage.htm
so it can be done, depending on your limits. Fun place to check out, by the way...

Because my mother's health is precluding any trip to Bonaire in the foreseeable future, I don't think I'm self promoting if I say that I do tune and repair pianos in California, and have wondered what it would be like to bring my tools with me to Bonaire.

When I finally get to have a trip again, maybe I'll try to advertise and see if there's any interest. The biggest problem I could forsee in doing this would be to anticipate problems under maintained instruments might have and bring enough supplies to remedy them....

Sorry, that got a little nerdy, but, well, I'm a nerd...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beck-ee (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2265) on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 12:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LOL - not a nerd CB... you just know your stuff! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9701) on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 1:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

CB, love it when you talk techy! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6078) on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 4:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Um, yeah, what CB said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil the Bee (BonaireTalker - Post #92) on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Get a Technics digital piano. They feel and sound like the real thing & provided you don't keep it out of doors it should do OK for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #430) on Saturday, July 4, 2009 - 11:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We had the same dilemma when we moved to Bonaire. We ended up selling our 100 year old piano and buying a second hand Yamaha clavinova digital piano. I don't know about the Technics piano Phil is talking about but the Yamaha sure is a wonderful piano. Make sure you put a voltage regulator (you can buy them here...it is NOT the same as a surge protector) in between the outlet and the piano. Actually you should do that with all your sensitive electronics. You can hook up multiple devices to 1 regulator (depending on how high the number on your regulator).

Good luck!!

Bas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Heidi van den Tillaar (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Sunday, July 5, 2009 - 4:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all for your advice!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration