BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: International school in Bonaire.......
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2009: International school in Bonaire.......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By On Italy (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, January 2, 2009 - 7:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,
I would like to know if there are any international schools......and if anyone can send me their link.
After reading your post about moving families, I am making sure I can accommodate my English speaking teen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #102) on Saturday, January 3, 2009 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

there are no international schools on bonaire. there are international schools on curacao and aruba also in venezuela. the fact of the matter is that the teaching language here is papiamentu with dutch being taught starting in first class as it is the legal language... therefore your teen should already be fluent in both papiamentu and dutch in order to attend school. english is the 4th language here .. with spanish number 3.also the bonaire curriculum is European and does not dovetail into the american curriculum. my son after the 6th class here on bonaire attended an american-spanish international university high school in venezuela in order to "fill-in-the-gaps" so he had the required courses to attend school in the usa. school here will be a difficult situation for your teener .. particularly in the matter of the multiple languages required and also the math system here is European and not at all like that taught in the usa. also this is a very different culture and learning our different ways can also be a huge challenge. i wish you all the best .. education here is something that we all struggle with .. it is possible -- but it ain't easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3516) on Sunday, January 4, 2009 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is a fledgling international school here but it is just two teachers, one from Bonaire and his wife who is from British Guyana. You are setting your teens up for failure if you intend to school them here! Many have tried but failed. It is different if the kids are grammar school age. As Petrie says, it ain't easy. Don't mean to sound negative but in a word...don't!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #108) on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

yo Micheal is this school accredited??? if not of course then attendence will come to nothing .. been there and done it .. bye the bye .. i home schooled here for a while - when it was legal-it is tough...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Candice Davis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 1:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

So is home schooling illegal in Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #336) on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 7:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

an immigration requirement for families with children is that the children must be enrolled in a school here and attend.....you should probably check with immigration to be sure .. the rules change frequently. the process takes a prolonged period of time and your family members would not allowed on the island while the papers are being processed...i would check with immigration sooner than later .. i believe-as a student- you enter on a different status.. i don't know how old your children are but school is taught in papaimentu and dutch is a required part of the curriculum beginning at the first grade level .. i can not emphasize strongly enuf that english is the 4th language here..

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration