BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Cell phone for 2 months?
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008: Cell phone for 2 months?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Seifert (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I will be staying on Bonaire Jan and Feb 2009. I was there Nov 07 and seem to remember one of our group buying a disposable cell phone from "Chat and Browse"? to use while she was there.

Anyone know anything about them-----cost, plans, value??

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8381) on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dan, Yes, Michael has the best cell phone rentals on island. You can contact him at: info@chatnbrowse.com
You can discuss pricing and all with him directly. He is great to deal with, no need to look any further.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3474) on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have lots of options go keep you connected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bonaire Beach Condo ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1776) on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dan..Another option to consider if you have a laptop & internet connection is to use Skype.
I guess the real question to address is what is the primary use of the phone. If it's to keep in touch with the folks back home & business, I'd recommend Skype. If it's really just for local use I'd recommend renting the cell from Michael.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8382) on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince, good point, we use Skype on island too! Did you know they have a Skype phone that is like a cell phone and you can get a phone number assigned to it? Yeah, pretty cool. I love the freedom from headphones now when on Skype.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Seifert (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Are there Bonaire local numbers available through Skype? Might have to order pizza delivery once in a while :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3475) on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

yes bonaire #s can be reached, however it is about 20 US cents a call to the a local number, about the same as a cell phone call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kristi the Desperate (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4203) on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dan....
you use it just like a regular phone, but through your laptop. Not sure how it works without your laptop nearby, maybe the phone Debbie mentioned accesses the internet?

anyway, yahoo messenger is basically the same, I used it while on Bon, through my puter. 1 cent/minute to US numbers, 15 cents/minute Bonaire numbers. very cheap.

Now that I said that, nothing beats the service you get at Michaels chat and Browse.
I used his internet and if we needed to make a quick call and I needed a regular phone, we used his. I stayed at Eden and It was very convenient and more cost effective.

Be sure to stop by and check out his store. It is down from Eden on the left. Right by an icecream store, yummie!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kristi the Desperate (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4204) on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

oh...hehe, hi Michael!!!
hug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bonaire Beach Condo ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1778) on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 6:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie.. As an FYI I purchased a local # in north Jersey & have it programed to ring our landline phone in the condo. This way anyone "back home" can call us when we're on island for no charge. If it's going to be a long call, we have an unlimited calling plan to the US. We just call them back on Skype, talk as long as you want & only about $20 a year if memory serves me correctly!
Really you just can't beat it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8389) on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 6:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince, we have it too. :-) It's like for folks to call us from the states on the skype phone number, it is just like they were calling us at home. If we call them, it is like you said, and yes, we program the landline phone and the skype phone together, so all one phone. Love the cordless skype phone. I know there is a separate rate for having a skype phone number, then whatever plan you want with skype. Even if you don't do a plan, you can just get minutes and pay like 2 cents a minute,either way, it's great.

My daughter uses Skype to talk to her Marine boyfriend who is stationed in JAPAN right now for a year, so it is saving them lots of money using Skype.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration