BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Can my bf sponser me
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008: Can my bf sponser me
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shandia (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 1:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i was wondering i am coming to bonaire and i want to know the rules about someone sponsoring me to come?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #953) on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 4:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Shandia-If you want better advice, it would help to know where you are coming from and what it is you really want-it sounds like you're young, (you're also asking about attending high school; are you still of school age, 18 or less?), but now you want a boyfriend to sponsor you (not sure what you mean by "sponsor"-you want someone to make you legal here? Do you wish to live here indefinitely, etc?)

Long ago (18+ yrs), it used to be that if your boyfriend is a legal resident here, he can claim you as his "concubine" (their word, not mine) at the notary's office and have papers drawn up (a notary here is almost like a judge-it's a high legal status). I'm not sure what the fees are for this, but it's not free. I think it involves bf agreeing that you are his responsibility, and declares that you are legally living together as a couple. This is not marriage, but it is a legal commitment of sorts, and may be an option for you, since it sounds like you are not being brought here by an employer to work. I don't think it would automatically grant you residency; you'd still have to go through all of the official routes, prove your health is good, have a statement that your police record is clean, have a recent, stamped copy of your birth certificate, be able to pay a deposit, be able to prove you are financially secure (last I heard, you had to show you had $45,000 in a bank-I could be wrong though), etc. If your bf is here, he's the one that could be doing this research for you-there's a lot involved to get permission to live here if you're not an Antillean/Dutch passport holder. Note, it's not impossible, but you do have to follow the rules and file your paperwork in the order the government wishes them followed.

For more information, do a search in this topic about residency or permits-(read the posts of the top 20 threads). Most of what you and other recent posters here are asking has been covered numerous times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shandia (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 8:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hey yes i am 17 and sorry my english is so bad if you did not get me i am live in canada london and my boyfriend said sponsor so i guess like you said for him to make me legal there with him i ave done all my immagration papers i just need the name of the school

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #954) on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 8:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonne chance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #632) on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shandia
Speaking like your grandfather, I would say the first thing to do is turn your brain back on. If you do get to Bonaire you will find yourself in a country where you don't speak the language, your education incomplete and not able to complete it due to that, no marketable skill and probably no one to help you. Go back to school. Rant over.
As Ruth said, Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #955) on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's a good point Mickey-her second language (English) is our third...(or fourth). Seems like an equation for a very difficult time here, IF she's even allowed (I don't know the rules about "singles" under 18 moving here; doubt it comes up much). She won't even be able to drive yet (our driving age is 18)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kristi...PBD, need plane tickets quick!! (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3682) on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 8:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shandia, I agree with Micky,(I will speak as a mother, hehe)
go to college 1st ,
your BF will wait for you if it is real.
Please consider the absolute halt this will make to any career opportunity you may have in your future without an education.

My rant OFF also..

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration