BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Telecommuting from Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008: Telecommuting from Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Seifert (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone know of anyone with telecommuting experience from Bonaire?

I'm wondering if working via computer with your home company (USA) from Bonaire is considered working in Bonaire? (Does one need a work permit?) Many folks dial in to their workplace via the internet and work from home or check up on things while on vacation.

Obviously no services would be rendered to anyone on Bonaire and paychecks are still made to US address. I'm assuming this is OK, but everyone knows what happens when you assume---makes an a** out of u and me.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3388) on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are a number of folks here that I know who do it, many who are residents and non residents as well. If you live here, you are liable for income and other taxes, however, a work permit may not be needed. It is a question that has come up a number of times and no clear answer has been give to those who have inquired in the past. I will continue to inquire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #602) on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 5:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael is right that you don't get a clear answer. I believe the reason is that no one has clear jurisdiction. Work permits are not issued to foreigners, they are issued to the company that hires the foreigner. Now, if, for example, General Motors wanted to hire an American and let that American live on Bonaire, what on earth is the Bonairean government going to do about it? They haven't got the power to make GM get a Bonairean work permit, or really much of a right to even ask.

Practical result is, if you pay your taxes, maintain a sufficient bank balance, and keep a health insurance policy, no one is going to get upset. If no one is upset, no one is going to go try to go to court to force a US business to file for a Bonairean work permit, or cause trouble when you renew your residence permit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3391) on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 9:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Of course we could always lobby GM to move their headquarters here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Seifert (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 10:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

On another note--my wife's work commitments means she has to bring along a stand-alone teleconferencing camera that uses the internet. My IT buddy says only way it will work is to be hardwired to the router.

The place we're renting offers wireless internet access and they've advised that wiring a new outlet isn't an option.

Anyone know what it costs and how long it takes to get new service hooked up? If I understand it right Telbo is the choice for high speed? We'll be there Jan and Feb 09 so also wondering if one needs to make a long term commitment with the company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #616) on Monday, December 1, 2008 - 1:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael Gaynor rents an adapter that lets you connect to MIO's wireless network, and that's a faster connection than Telbo. He'd probably let you try it out in the store to be sure it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3483) on Monday, December 1, 2008 - 12:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No problem. It works anywhere on the island except Rincon and underwater. Be happy to let you do a test run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Seifert (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Monday, December 1, 2008 - 2:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Who/what is MIO?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #617) on Monday, December 1, 2008 - 3:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

MIO is our number 3 cellular provider. They've recently rolled out a cellular data network to provide an island-wide wireless service. It's business grade, so it isn't cheap, but if you need a dedicated high-bandwidth link with zero installation time, it's a very attractive option.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration