BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Tankless water heater on Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008: Tankless water heater on Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (LBR27) (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In an attempt to "go green" I will be replacing my hot water heater here in the U.S. with a tankless model. That being said, have the tankless models made it to Bonaire? We are actually on our 3rd hot water heater in 10 yrs. and these tankless have a much longer life span.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire ) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #674) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I believe there is an on-demand water heater. It is very small and only heats the water as you use it. A friend uses one, and says it works just fine. It hooks up to the shower. I suppose you could also hook one up for the kitchen sink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karen K (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 6:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We wanted a specific make and model for our needs, so we're packing one in our moving shipment to Bonaire and plan to hook it up to the kitchen only. It's propane and outdoor mounted. We'll see how it goes, but we've used them in other tropical settings and they were perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #576) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 7:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kooyman sells two different electric models: one for the sink, and one for the shower. They are different: the sink model heats to a higher temperature and has a built in vent, while the shower model can only hook downstream of the valve, and uses the shower as a vent.

You can occasionally find a Fasto gas spot water heater at Playa Trading and Dewpoint ... much hotter water, higher volume, 3 times the cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (LBR27) (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 7:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about bringing one in my container but I was unsure of the electrical compatbility. I was not aware of a need for more than one unit.

Thanks again for sharing information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karen K (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Bosch model we purchased has a hydro-generated ignition instead of a pilot light. We were also concerned about the electrical compatability since Bonaire runs at 50Hz and the states (and most electrical items purchased here) run at 60Hz. Shelley, are you newly moving to the island as well? Here's info on the unit we purchased http://indoors.pricegrabber.com/building-supplies/m/24827167/st=product/sv=title/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #578) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 8:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

No need to worry about electrical compatibility on things like electric heaters. The thermostat will probably run at a slightly different duty cycle than normal, but they will work. Motors and timekeeping devices are where the worries occur.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karen K (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin, What about TVs? Do we need a transformer for that as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #579) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There should be a statement on the TV somewhere that says something like "100-220V 50/60Hz". If so, it will certainly work on Bonaire without a transformer. If it just says "110V 50/60Hz", it will probably work ... I haven't encountered a television with compatibility problems yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton B (BonaireTalker - Post #83) on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 3:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm reading a book written by Tom Lane titled "Solar Hot Water Systems - Lessons learned 1977 to Today". He makes the following statements about the "savings" from using tankless water heaters. Obviously, he is a solar advocate and suggests that a solar water heater is the truly "green" way to go. Certainly, on Bonaire, if you have a place to install one, a solar system makes a lot of sense, especially with the present petroleum/electric fuel costs.

"Myths About Saving Water Heating Cost - Timers, Tankless Water Heaters.

Many consumers believe that turning their water heater off for a few hours each day, either manually or with a timer, or using tankless heaters greatly reduces their water heating costs. Several studies show that turning off an element in a conventional electric water heater each day for 13 - 13 1/2 hours would save 3 KWH a month, or less than a penny a day ("Off" times for this water heater test were from 10AM to 4PM and 10:30PM to 6AM. Often people think if they turn their water heater "Off" for a period like eight hours, they save a full eight hours of energy use. But, in reality, they don't. When a water heater is turned "On", the heating elements do not stay on continuously. In a 24 hour period, the electric element in a 42 gallon tank is on seven times for only three hours - for a family of four, according to a study by Purdue University. Tankless water heaters do save space, but not much energy. Numerous tests by independent third parties,have shown only 5% savings versus conventional electric water heaters and 15% to 20% savings versus energy efficient conventional gas water heaters over a 24 hour period. Most manufacturers of these expensive water heater systems exaggerate the savings. Daily savings quotes of 25% or higher versus modern electric or gas water heaters are simply not true. In 2004, hot water manufacturers were required to add additional insulation to all water heaters, making instantaneous water heater savings more insignificant. Tankless water heaters have serious problems with scaling in hard water areas."

Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3315) on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 8:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

All this talk about water heaters reminds me of one of my first visits when the hotel Bonaire's hot water system was not working. The front desk said to wait until noon to shower..the water was so hot, I had to turn on the cold tap..it was just as hot! In the last 20+ years of living here, I have never had hot water in my house. The only time I miss it is for washing dishes and taking showers at 6am!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3317) on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

double post

(Message edited by gmichael on August 17, 2008)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #597) on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 5:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have done a pretty thorough job of going native, but I still need a hot water supply. I find that if I don't have a hot water supply, I try to convince myself that I don't really need a shower. This time of year, I run it just enough to make the water tepid, but I hate cold showers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3320) on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin, your friends will convince you if you really need a shower! Mornings are tough, I agree. Shaving with cold water (for those of us sans beard) is also a bear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Everett Preece (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about a five gallon solar shower bag. Heats up to 110 degrees after 3 hours in the sun. Probably wouldn't work for that 6am shave but would provide a nice hot evening shower. I see them on many sites for about $20USD.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration