BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Moving to Bonaire: Moving/living in Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Moving to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008: Moving/living in Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Osborn (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, June 7, 2008 - 12:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How long can a US citizen live in Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #862) on Saturday, June 7, 2008 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Depends upon how much money and sanity you start with, and how much you're willing to lose over the years. Sorry Dennis, that was just too easy (I've been here since '90). Welcome to BT. A visitor can stay up to 90 days. Getting "residency" (permission to live here without having to leave every 90 days, then come back) depends upon you personally and your situation-for example, are you retiring? Working for someone here? Buying/starting your own business here? Can you prove you can support yourself (you'll need to show your bank account balance)? You'll need to follow and fill out residency permits like any other non-Bonairean (and this may change over the next few years, as the status of Bonaire changes)-the permits require your health status (proof you are HIV free, etc), your personal status (single/married...sounds like an easy question until you try proving you're single), that you have no criminal record, etc. If you post more specifically what your intentions are, then I'm sure others will chime in with advice, and of course, you can do a search--this topic has been covered a lot. If you're buying a house from an on-island realtor, ask him/her; they usually have a list of all the requirements and that'd be a good place to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (BonaireTalker - Post #51) on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 12:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Make sure you have regular plans to leave the island for a few days at a time or you will go absolutely crazy. Island fever is very real!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 7:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've been living here since 1975..and working .. without any problems..word of advice? contact immigration promptly..be upfront and follow the rules and deadlines ..and exercise alot of patience ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3149) on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 8:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have lived here for over 20 years...was in the States in 1999 for a few days and went to a doctors appointment in Curacao in 2004. When I get island fever, I take a ride to Rincon and I am cured! It really helps if you have CNN so you can see what the rest of the world is up to then count your blessing! Fid, you miss us..admit it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Bella Vista Estates) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #551) on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 11:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm pretty junior compared to Michael and Ruth, but I've been here 3 1/2 years. Since then, I've spent a grand total of 16 nights off the island. Island fever is something you bring with you, and if you bring it, nothing on Bonaire is going to make you lose it.

Think of how you are when you are at wherever you call home. Do you have two or three favorite restaurants, where you order the same things whenever you visit? A favorite bookstore, bar, movie theater, ice cream shop, etc., that you visit time after time? Or are you the type that likes to try a different restaurant every time you go out to eat, and will drive 20 miles to get a bite of that special ice cream your friend told you about?

If you are the first kind, you'll settle in fine. If you are the latter, I have my doubts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6312) on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 11:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We're hitting 11 years on Bonaire this month, but contrary to Mike and Kevin, we travel extensively off island. It's part of our kids' education to travel to the far corners of the earth. In the last year alone, other than a bunch of new places in North America, we've been to Fiji, Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Hawaii, Morocco, Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, France, and England.

What the travel shows us (other than local culture, history, and cuisine) is that there still is no place better for us to live than Bonaire.

If you're planning to come and work on Bonaire, your best bet for long term stability is to start your own business and work for it as a managing director. Starting a business here can be a major challenge in itself because of all sorts of interesting, spontaneous rules about businesses, not the least of which is that it's at least a four to eight month process on average for foreigners, and that presumes you get your business permit approved.

As Pietri says - patience is a major requirement in adjusting to life on Bonaire vs. life in the the U.S. But it can be worth it. Kevin is right about the personality types too, based on the people we have seen come and go from Bonaire.

Try living here for a couple of months first before you commit to longer term just to make sure you can manage it.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sandy (BonaireTalker - Post #100) on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all, enjoying the messages this morning...thanks...good stuff...i'm trying to decided if i should request residency or not...if US citizens become residents are they required to pay taxes to Bonaire on their US incomes? Thanks much for any and all information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech/Bonaire Insider (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6315) on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 1:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes - the Netherlands Antilles taxes you on your worldwide income, as does the U.S. even when you don't live there. Capital gains are not taxed though. Might be a good idea to check with an accountant here as well as in the U.S.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #199) on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 4:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Michael, Kevin, and Jake--I'm in my 16th year here on Bonaire, and I actually don't like it when I have to leave. Island Fever? It's personality-dependent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 9:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

and i also agree with kevin, michael, ruth, jake and susan .....life is what you make it.....island fever comes from within .. in my 30 plus years of living here and to include my 8 years of vacationing regularily on Bonaire prior to my move- i never felt the need to leave for a break .. bonaire is special .. and it takes special people to adjust to island life .. if you are thrilled with the simple things and beauty of life and have inner-power - no need to have constant outside stimulation- unlimited patience and a sense of humor then island life is for you. i also dislike leaving the island. i recently was off island for 6 weeks to venezuela for advanced and extensive orthodontia work and even tho with my family i couldn't wait to get back home ... once you get caught in the bonaire rhythm .. you can't stop dancing ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3154) on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 9:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did all my travelling and living in other countries before settling on Bonaire. One of my worst nighmares is being at the airport, checking in for a flight off island. I wake up in a cold sweat, pinch myself, let the dogs out and roll back into bed! Susan and Kevin hit it right on the head...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 8:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

my worst nightmare is DAE - 30 plus years here- you would think i was the wiser..even after trying to leave bonaire with 2 days DAE cancellations/delays i went forth - but little did i know leaving was the easy part - because i had medical appointments i HAD to leave bonaire... weeks later my departure was from the columbian border of Venezuela ..that was on schedule and and only hour plus flight to Caracas.... then the the 3 day DAE journey began.....YES THREE day journey - details upon request! so i am thinking - better to stay on bonaire because will i ever return? my fate maybe unknown ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Dimitroff (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I want to move to Bonaire. We are from the us. We have been trying to find someplace inexpensive for me to stay for a couple weeks,just to sleep and eat while I look for a place to either buy or land to build on. Does anyone have any suggestions? Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3424) on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BT Mark. If you go to infobonaire.com, there is a listing of accomodations by price level..There is plenty of info availble about the quality of the various places, and about moving to Bonaire, on the board here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3259) on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have you spent much time here? You really need to "live" here for more than just a couple of weeks to get to know the island and more important, to let the island know you! What do you consider inexpensive? $50 for a double is probably the cheapest you will find for a decent place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Dimitroff (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 8:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have been there 5 times for a couple weeks at a time. I now live in Michigan, I came up here to take care of my mother. I have been a diver for 33 years and I hate the cold. I have been in the repossession business for 28 years and really need to destress. I have lived in a town
in Texas that only had 1700 people in it, but it did have a blinking light. lol
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pietri Hausmann (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 6:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

as great as bonaire seems as a visitors impression..it is a foreign country .. the culture is very different .. english is the 4th language and everything is done very differently here... take your time and as micheal advises live here not visit .. and try to get your impression of bonaire outside the tourist sector .. it is a very very different island....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3262) on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 9:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry Mark, I did not recognize it was you. I think you will fit in just fine...it takes being a bit loony to make it here..and if I remember, you are will be just fine..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Dimitroff (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 9:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

is this michael that has chat and Brouse.
If it is give me your phone number and I will call you.Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6892) on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yup, Mark, he's the one and only Michael from Chat 'n Browse! Here's a link to his site with his phone number on the page somewhere! Livin' the dream...that's what it's all about. cb

http://www.chatnbrowse.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By valerie BRUCELLE (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'am Valerie a french girl living in St Barthélémy caribbean island and i would like to move in december to live in BONAIRE i'am a fitness and windsurfing instructor i need help to organise my moving may i need to ask a permission to migration or to other administration?

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration